how comfortable are JVC HA-FX55W and Panasonic HJE50?
Jan 10, 2006 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nleahcim

100+ Head-Fier
Hi - I am continuing my quest for the perfect portable headphones. My quest so far:

Senn HD200: ok sound, huge, not very portable, no isolation whatsoever (what was I thinking?!)
Etymotic Er-6: great sound, terribly uncomfortable, awesome isolation, very portable
Sony D66 eggo: great sound, super comfortable, ok isolation, fairly portable, shoddy build quality and warranty (sony wouldn't fix them so I will no longer support that company)
Shure E2C: decent sound, terribly uncomfortable (even worse than the Etymotics), good isolation, very portable
Koss KSC-35: good sound, somewhat comfortable as long as I'm not wearing glasses. With glasses - not so good. No isolation, fairly portable

(I've had other cans in there but those were the ones that I intended to use on the go)

Being that my puppy decided the KSC-35s looked tasty, I am once again in the market for new headphones. I am very interested in the semi canal phones (or whatever you want to call them). Specifically - I am looking at the JVC HA-FX55W and the Panasonic HJE50. Reading all the threads on these two people seem to be fairly happy with the sound, isolation, and build quality of these fellers, and needless to say they are very portable. What I'm worried about is the comfort. Being that the two canal phones that I tried were terribly painful, I am a bit hesitant to get these as they seem fairly similar. But - their ultra portability is very alluring. So - are these fellers comfortable? Or are they really similar to the Etys and Shures?

Also - any thoughts between the JVCs and the panys? I'm leaning JVC as there have been a couple reports of shoddy quality in the panys. If it matters, I plan on using these mostly when travelling (airplanes and buses) with my ipod, and possibly when working out with my iriver ifp-799.

Thanks!

Jan 10, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 15
I just bought a pair of white HJE50's today from Circuit City for 32 (couldn't wait for online - sony semi-iems [ex51] broke). The quality looks top notch and it's a bit longer than my sony's with the extension cord. I have to say they're just as comfortable as the sony's, with a lot more clarity and less unnecessary bass. Personally I like them a lot in terms of comfort and find them more usable than my ksc-75's that I bought earlier today as well.

Jan 10, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reiniku
I just bought a pair of white HJE50's today from Circuit City for 32 (couldn't wait for online - sony semi-iems [ex51] broke). The quality looks top notch and it's a bit longer than my sony's with the extension cord. I have to say they're just as comfortable as the sony's, with a lot more clarity and less unnecessary bass. Personally I like them a lot in terms of comfort and find them more usable than my ksc-75's that I bought earlier today as well.

Good to hear that you find them comfortable.

Anybody out there that has canal phones (etys/shures) care to make a comparison? Thanks!

Jan 10, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 15
I LOVE my panasonics. very comfortable as I laid in bed last night I had them on and I swear, it felt like I didn't have them on! I'm using them with the sony eartips though since I had the 71's before and found there eartips sturdier than the panys which felt a little too soft. Also seems to sound better (to me) with the sony eartips! Never heard the JVC's though, but they do look comfortable.

Jan 10, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 15
i went from the jvc to the westone UM1

the jvc's, and like the panasonics, i dont think are true in ear, they are more like half-IEM's. they dont isolate NEARLY as much as the westones and they are very comfortable. they also dont leak much sound either.

Jan 10, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 15
As of right now my only problem with the Panasonic is the stupidly long cord... I mean it's longer than me for god sakes. The ex51's cord was just right... but the sound wasn't. I guess you can't win them all. :b

Jan 10, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
i went from the jvc to the westone UM1

the jvc's, and like the panasonics, i dont think are true in ear, they are more like half-IEM's. they dont isolate NEARLY as much as the westones and they are very comfortable. they also dont leak much sound either.

how were the jvc's?

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 15
i want to bump this thread

can anyone compared the fx55s to the HJE50s, i found the HJE50s to be quite comfortable for my sensitive ears yet the SQ is not what I am lookin for

can anyone tell me if they are at least similarly comfortable?

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 15
I recently picked up the fx55's...huge mistake

let me say first that I am not a big IEM fan...these were just terribly uncomfortable. I gotta tell you though, I see no real difference in build between the Pannies, JVC, or Sonys. When I say build I mean only the pieces that contribute to comfort. They all have the little silicone tips that go in your ear-you either like that feel or you dont.
I dont...felt like hard plastic irritating my ears.
As for sound, oy.
PIEEEEERCING Highs.
Bloated lows and recessed mids...I mean really terrible all around.
I thought at first they were faulty.
Granted, I gave them no burn-in time-just tossed them in the closet and figures it was $30 down the toilet.
I guess ill try the Pannies next...

btw-do any foamy tips fit onto any of the afore-mentioned IEMS? Maybe that would solve some of my problem.

Feb 21, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #10 of 15
mmmm not helpin me decide
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #11 of 15
kwitel:
actually, the silicone tips of the Pannies, JVCs, and Sonys are pretty soft. Don't use the clear tips with the Shure IEMs - they separate the driver from really small ear canals and sound too trebly and let too much sound in.

right now I'm trying ultimate ears foamies with the JVCs. They fit fine, but they don't clip on like the silicone tips, so there's always the possibility that they may stay stuck in your ears. the orange (e2) tips from the shures will fit - don't get the yellow ones because those definitely won't. Thanks for the suggestion; now I have "IEMs" that I can sleep on the side with
smily_headphones1.gif

nleahcim:
JVCs don't sound bad - they're less bassy than the e2c's, which I endured over 17-hour plane flights. the sound isn't as "clean" as any of the IEM's I've tried (e2c, e4c, ety er4s, ultimate ears), but if you're not demanding, they might do the job. they were also very comfortable (equal to the sony's), but that's because the tips are soft.

I DON'T recommend them for plane travel or loud environments, because they really don't isolate well. on my creative zen nano I set the volume <20/40 with the shure e2c's, with the JVCs it was almost 30/40. if you want to protect your hearing, at least get foam tips so you don't have to turn the volume up high.

I suggest that you try out the ultimate ears' line, because (at least to me), those are the most comfortable IEMs yet. (And BTW, if you still have those ety's, could I take those off your hands?
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 15
I have to say-after this thread ive given the JVC another chance. Apparently my seal wasnt good enough so i tried a larger silicone tip.
BIG improvement. I alos like the volume control on the JVC which I dont belive comes on the Pannies-very important when using and IEM, no need to take them out when you need to speak to someone.
Enjoying them now although im having a slight discomfort issue with the left ear...
I wonder, has anyone used both the JVC and Pannies? I wouldnt mind a little more bass...also, as usual-the rocket scientists who designed these mad a 3 inch left side wire with a 3 foot right wire-ridiculous.

Do any of the sub $50 IEMS have the classic "Y" wire design?

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 15
i have ety 6is and pana rp-hje50s. i find that both of them are comfortable for me. the only thing that bothers me about the panasonics is that the cord tends to pull the left earphone down causing it to come off my ear.

Feb 22, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #14 of 15
I find the Panasonics very comfy with the medium tips and they sound fantasic for under $20 at Buy.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back