How come most headphones aren't made with shorter cables with separate extensions?
Oct 13, 2011 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

TobaccoRoad

500+ Head-Fier
A lot of us head-fiers are desktop oriented, which means 10 ft cables are really unnecessary. Not to mention there are good number of people who use studio monitors for portable use (M50, V6, Shure SRH's, etc.). The only headphone I've owned which had this design was Denon D1001, which I really enjoyed the cable feature while I had them. Why aren't all headphones made this way?

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 20

Quote:
A lot of us head-fiers are desktop oriented, which means 10 ft cables are really unnecessary. Not to mention there are good number of people who use studio monitors for portable use (M50, V6, Shure SRH's, etc.). The only headphone I've owned which had this design was Denon D1001, which I really enjoyed the cable feature while I had them. Why aren't all headphones made this way?

Because first and foremost - although this is slowly changing

Your vision of a perfect customer for Denon, Sennheiser and other manufacturers is
a serious looking man in the middle of a critical listening session sitting on a couch
approximately 8foot or more away from his HiFi gear.

Some also like to watch television and film.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 20
I understand the need of a long cord, that's why I mentioned including separate extension cable in the title. I too listen to my setup in the living room often while relaxing on my couch, but when I'm on the computer I could really use a shorter cable. It's only mildly annoying for me since the way my desk is set up I can wrap the cable around it, but I can imagine for some 10 ft may get pretty messy.

Gwarmi I agree with what you said, but based on head-fi members and the desktop setup pictures they've taken, I think the number of high-end desktop users are greatly underestimated (at least you admit it's "slowing changing").

So in short, making the original cable about 3-5 ft, then including a separate extension cable would be ideal, no?

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
I understand the need of a long cord, that's why I mentioned including separate extension cable in the title. I too listen to my setup in the living room often while relaxing on my couch, but when I'm on the computer I could really use a shorter cable. It's only mildly annoying for me since the way my desk is set up I can wrap the cable around it, but I can imagine for some 10 ft may get pretty messy.

Gwarmi I agree with what you said, but based on head-fi members and the desktop setup pictures they've taken, I think the number of high-end desktop users are greatly underestimated (at least you admit it's "slowing changing").

So in short, making the original cable about 3-5 ft, then including a separate extension cable would be ideal, no?

That would be Johnny Grado's recipe :-

3-5ft stock and he wants $40USD for a 15 foot extension.

And I agree, long live the stand-alone DAC, the CD transport is dead!

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 20

Quote:

Practical, sure (I am in this category as well), but you'll piss off the audiophiles who wish to minimize the number of connections.  They'll recable to 10ft or greater before submitting to using the extension.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
That would be Johnny Grado's recipe :-

3-5ft stock and he wants $40USD for a 15 foot extension.

And I agree, long live the stand-alone DAC, the CD transport is dead!

Well Grado manufacturer is right here where I live. Maybe I should kindly ask him to include them for free in all of their headphones
gs1000.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #10 of 20
Grado's 4-5foot cord=perfection for me, and I have an extension if I need it.

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #13 of 20
IMO, I think all headphones should come with a 1 meter long cable. Since the longer a single ended cable is, worse the sound is going to be. (I'm not sure if its audible though)  

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #14 of 20
4-5 feet is usually enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #15 of 20
IMO, I think all headphones should come with a 1 meter long cable. Since the longer a single ended cable is, worse the sound is going to be. (I'm not sure if its audible though)  

3' cable? With a full sized system that would be impractical. I also prefer not to use an extension. I feel there is more potential for degradation than using a 7' or 10' cable could do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back