How can you tell if you have a vintage Grado?
Aug 14, 2008 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Borat

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently purchased a used pair of SR-60's that came in a box like this (this is not my pair):

16k96a0.jpg

2vd17o4.jpg

It came with bowl pads and the original owner said that's how they came. I think the earliest version shipped with flat pads. I figure I don't have the earliest production SR-60, but it must be somewhat old because it has a different box, different pads, and the netting that covers the drivers from the inside is clear instead of white like the current production Grados.

For comparison, this is what a current production SR-60/80 comes in:

34fipf5.jpg

2hfp6yb.jpg

I was wondering if there was a way to tell approximately when a pair of Grados was produced.

Obviously, if you have an HP1/HP2/HP3/SR100/SR200/SR300, you know you have a vintage Grado. But what about the other models?

Does anyone know when Grado switched from the old box with blue foam lining to the newer box with the clear openings and gray foam?

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 6
The original SR60 (1993) came with flat pads which were about 30% smaller (circumference) than the usual flat pads. Not much else differentiates the original from the current. Check the cable covering, where the cable goes from the split up to each earpiece. The original was more of a rubber feel than plastic IIRC.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 6
Didn't back then, even the low models have real headbands not made of the plastic todat?

Could be wrong there, so don't quote me for that.

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even the low models have real headbands not made of the plastic todat?

I bought the SR60 in 1995 and it had the exact same crappy unpadded vinyl headband as the current versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back