How can this be true????
Mar 7, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #16 of 24
I remember those reviews all going up during the SA5K FOTM buying fest.

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
If everyone who has submitted a review on this site, submits it also on that site, we might have something meaningful. Just a thought.

Not if you didn't want to propagate the reviewing / grading procedure of that site. I don't know, perhaps heads can be banged together to figure a better system out. I'm going to be rather time-limited in the next few months but I have been trying to look into doing an independent review site. Handicapped grading systems don't work. I didn't really give any thought to a Headphonereview type site but I guess it's worth a think.

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
It's been a while since I wrote a review for that site, so please correct me if I am wrong
biggrin.gif
. It requires reviewers to evaluate all models and compare them to a theoretically perfect headphone. So... If you evaluate an MS1, the review criteria requests that you compare it to an Orpheus (the most "perfect" headphone I have ever listened too).... $99 versus a $16000 model. So in that light the MS1 performs poorly.

The only review I wrote was for a KSC75, and in the end I ended up giving it a very poor review... not because it was a terrible sounding $20 earclip... but because it failed to keep up with a theoretically perfect headphone.

In a certain sense, it's the only way to get a true representation of how well something performs. The downside is that it can make certain models look bad on paper, when in reality their performance is admirable for the price point. The other downside is that IMHO it deters reviewers from posting impressions.... Basically you dont even qualify to post a review unless you have heard an Orpheus or Stax rig, and can benchmark to that standard.

The flip side is if you DO see a top notch performer per that criteria, then chances are its a pretty darn good product. So in that light it's easy to understand why they impose this criteria.

IMHO head-fiers should keep this in mind when reading those reviews.

Garrett

EXACTLY! That's what always struck me as not being good about that site, but I couldn't put it into words. You know what I mean? You just can't compare ALL headphones against ALL other headphones, because most people will take one look at the score and think they're looking at an inferior product. A Honda Civic is inferior to a BMW, but who the hell is going to compare them directly? You just can't fairly do it, even though the civic is a fantastic automobile for the price.

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Leave professional reviews to the true professionals
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, leave the reviews up to folks at CNET!
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #21 of 24
I've been thinking about a hypothetical headphone (/speaker/other audio gear) review site where you first tell it what gear you have heard, what your subjective ratings (various aspects of sound quality, value, etc.) of each piece of gear are, and then it uses an algorithim to predict what ratings you would give other gear based on the reviews of others. I can see a database like this being able to give very accurate predictions as to what people will like or dislike.

It would be the same idea as things like last.fm for suggesting music you might like, or a site I've heard of that does the same for movies; I think they can work pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back