How can this be true????
Mar 7, 2006 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 24
Way to go SA5000
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 24
Ahahahaha! Poor neglected HeaphoneReview.org. There aren't enought votes to balance out some of the decisions made. Oh well. At least they're up there!

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
Ahahahaha! Poor neglected HeaphoneReview.org. There aren't enought votes to balance out some of the decisions made. Oh well. At least they're up there!

Ah...I didn't notice that...

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 24
Also note that portability and isolation are factored into the score. This gives the closed ATs an advantage. Large, open headphones inlcluding the HE90 get marked down, even though they might be ideal in a home listening environment.

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 24
Also note the reviewers names...hmmm....

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Also note the reviewers names...hmmm....

noted...
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 24
It's been a while since I wrote a review for that site, so please correct me if I am wrong
biggrin.gif
. It requires reviewers to evaluate all models and compare them to a theoretically perfect headphone. So... If you evaluate an MS1, the review criteria requests that you compare it to an Orpheus (the most "perfect" headphone I have ever listened too).... $99 versus a $16000 model. So in that light the MS1 performs poorly.

The only review I wrote was for a KSC75, and in the end I ended up giving it a very poor review... not because it was a terrible sounding $20 earclip... but because it failed to keep up with a theoretically perfect headphone.

In a certain sense, it's the only way to get a true representation of how well something performs. The downside is that it can make certain models look bad on paper, when in reality their performance is admirable for the price point. The other downside is that IMHO it deters reviewers from posting impressions.... Basically you dont even qualify to post a review unless you have heard an Orpheus or Stax rig, and can benchmark to that standard.

The flip side is if you DO see a top notch performer per that criteria, then chances are its a pretty darn good product. So in that light it's easy to understand why they impose this criteria.

IMHO head-fiers should keep this in mind when reading those reviews.

Garrett

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Instead of bitching about things you guys should sign up and submit your own reviews.

Or let it die and submit more reivews here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back