How can one choose between Senns?
Feb 15, 2004 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

jfalford

100+ Head-Fier
I have seen much written pertaining to the relative merits of the hd600 and the hd650s. For the purposes of this discussion let us consider them with their original cables as the ability to upgrade them at a later time is always an option. Given the prices for these two at the present, what are the salient points to be examined in making a choice between them. I have never heard either and so am a blank slate for your suggestions. Thanks in advance for your replies. John

Feb 15, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 33
Take a look at what headroom say here

From what i've read...

For open phones, 580/600/650 according to your budget. Probably the most acclaimed general audiophile headphones around. The new 515/595 etc look like very good value, nice sound at good prices. The 595 uses the same driver as the 650, I heard.

For closed cans get the 280, px200 or the 212s if you're on a budget.

Most of the others aren't so popular, from what i've read.

Disclaimed - i've only tried the 280 and 595

Feb 15, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 33
No one knows... nor really that they'll be "near the same quality sound at much better prices". The 595, for instance, will likely be an upgrade from the 590, a reasonably different sound than the 580/600 (and possibly 650).

Feb 15, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by TidesCAL
how are the 595's?

Only a few people have heard them, and mostly in less-than-ideal circumstances. As I read it, the first impression was that they're somewhere between the 600 and 650 in sound quality, and probably quite comfortable. Do a search for more info - Tyll H... (forget his last name) has a good post about them.

I'll be ordering some once they're available anyway, just to see how the open phones compare to the closed ones.

Damn, this is an expensive hobby, and i'm only just getting started. Ah well, at least it's cheaper than buying cars or "full sized" speaker systems. I hear it costs about 10x as much as headphones to get a similar quality stereo system (ie with speakers).

Feb 15, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 33
I was in pretty much the same boat as you. My Beyerdynamic 990's were very long of tooth and I hadn't even listened to headphones for quite a while, but did a huge amount of reading before deciding on the HD 600's. I then changed my order to the HD 650's. Reading the comparisons between the two, many felt the 650's were significant enough a sonic improvement to warrant the extra money, especially in the bass region. This was very important to me as I like it to be smooth in as wide a frequency range as possible.

And, here's the big reason. Too many times, I've bought equipment only to have pangs of upgraditis eating me up. Now, I like to make as sure as possible that I won't have qualms or second thoughts later on. That route (not getting what I truly want right off) , to me, is the more costly because I usually end up getting the more expensive gear later on.........eventually. Now, I try to make the right choice for me on the first attempt.

Then, I just sit back and enjoy the music!!!
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 33
Yea I just picked up some HD580's and have been using em for a few days and love them... I don't want to "use them in" however if the HD555's or HD595's sound inbetween 600's/650's or close to the 650's like some have said (even tho it was in less than good circumstances).

Feb 15, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 33
Price.

The Sennheiser line, and particularly 580/600/650, improves at each step more or less proportional to price. Your budget is the key factor. You can read all you want but this is what is comes down to.

Feb 15, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 33
TidesCAL, my post wasn't done to state the obvious so much as to point out that in my opinion, Sennheiser's pricing of the 580/600/650 line really does reflect (more or less) proportionate increases in value in terms of the sonic benefits. Not everyone will agree with my assessment, but I think that Sennheiser's pricing provides a better purchasing guide than is the case for other manufacturers - for instance, many people believe that the SR-60's and SR-225's represents the "the value" phones in the Grado product line. In this sense, neither the 580, 600 or 650 represent "the value" in the Sennheiser line - they're just priced right relative to each other.

I don't have any experience to offer concerning the 515 line but do agree that it would be interesting to know what people think of this relative to the 580 line.

Feb 15, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by TidesCAL
Oh yeah I understand that, but I'm just interesting in the direct comparisons of the 580+ line vs the 515+ line.

We'll undoubtedly be seeing some reviews of the 595 (and possibly the 515 and 555) in mid- to late-February. Some Head-Fiers had pre-ordered 595s and the expected delivery date was mid-February.

Also, to follow on from what blessingx said earlier, if the 595 is an offshoot of the 590, then its sonic characteristics will almost certainly differ from the 580/600/650 line. I daresay that the 595's sound quality will also suffer in comparison to the 580/600/650. After all, they are Sennheiser's reference line. The 500/570/590 and other bionetics were never expected to compete with them.

D.

Feb 15, 2004 at 9:56 AM Post #14 of 33
That is all relative Demolition...

Not everyone likes the HD580/6x0 line, so to them the HD5x5 range might well be better, more suited to them...

I think that when you're up at the top of any manufacturers product lines, that its not a matter of which one is technically better, but more of a fact of which one is better to you personally
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 11:42 AM Post #15 of 33
IMO this is not so relative. I've always called Senn. HD570, 590... the 'crappy line'. I heard 570s, it's not the same quality than the famous 580, 600.
It's boomy as hell with a fake soundstage, i dunno what they wanted to do with that line? Maybe match Grado or Sony sound...
very_evil_smiley.gif

With Sennheiser it's easy: take HD25-1; HD-580; HD-6XX, and forget the others...not the same class.

As for you jfalford, if you have the money you better choose HD-650, even more if you're planning to spend a lot in amp and source.
If you're on a tight budget, you better go with the HD-600.
Anyway they are both great phones that can kill more than one wallets! Beware
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back