How can i use Fiio e17 with iphone 5?
Jul 28, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #31 of 33
Has anyone just used the Lightning to 30pin connector plug amd then to the Fiio old cord?

Who is using a dac with an iOS device? And how did you make it work?

I've tried it with the Fiio and can't get it to work. I even bought the official Fiio lightning to 30pin adapter and it didn't make any difference. Can't get it to work with my 5S. Works a treat with my macbook pro though lol

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #33 of 33
I realize this is an old thread but given that there seems to be a general be a lack of clarity on a) if its possible to use a Fiio E17/E17k with an iPhone and b) if possible how to do it, I thought I'd share my experience on how I'm able to.

Side note: This forum was instrumental in my decision to buy a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros (250 ohm) in the last couple weeks. It also guided me towards purchasing a Fiio Alpen 2 E17k... so thank you for all the help, Head-Fi-ers!

After picking up these headphones (mostly for professional use as I'm a composer/music producer), naturally I started to wonder what would be needed to use them for flights/with my iPhone/iPad. After browsing around in forums, I started to look into getting a Lightning to USB Camera Connection cable but then I found an old Camera Connection Kit (30 pin) lying around in one of my drawers. I was able to make it work and here's what I'm working with that has allowed me to do this:

DT770 Pro (250 ohm)
iPhone 6S Plus running the latest version of iOS 9 (9.3.4)
Fiio Alpen 2 E17k
Camera Connection Kit (30 pin) (3rd Party)
30 pin to Lightning Adapter (Apple)
Fiio provided USB cable

The Fiio is running in USB mode and the iPhone will give me a "Not designed for this device" warning but the audio still plays. It works with Spotify and Apple Music. I'm not 100% clear on what is happening with the Fiio to allow this - I assume the iPhone headphone amp is being bypassed but beyond that I don't know. I disabled USB Charging on the Fiio so it wouldn't drain the iPhone battery as well and it seems to work well.

For 250 ohm headphones, it certainly makes a difference volume wise using the Fiio vs. simply plugging the cans directly into the iPhone - as for quality... from Spotify/Apple Music I didn't notice much of a difference given that the sources are compressed heavily. I have yet to try it with uncompressed files. Anyways, hope this helps for anyone out there attempting the same.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back