How can i use Fiio e17 with iphone 5?
Feb 12, 2014 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

sabag123

Head-Fier
Hi , I want to buy fiio e17 for my iphone 5, but I don't know how to connect it , because there's not adapter for the lightning connector.
Can i use this to make it work? http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-30-Pin-Adapter-0-2M/dp/B0097BEG08/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392246458&sr=8-3&keywords=lightning+to+30+pin+adapter#productDetails
It says it has
Support for analog audio output, USB audio.​
thanks.​

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 33
yeah, you need "Apple Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter" as advertised, and also make sure you have FiiO  Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone. Then connect your iphone 5(s)->lighting to 30 pin cable->LOD->aux in of your fiio->your earphone. I use iPhone 5s and this works. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 33
Does it matter which way I'm gonna do that?

Edit:
I saw this In a website

It's gonna work ?
the problem is the website is in russian and i don't know what it says.
http://www.iphones.ru/iNotes/fiio-portable-headphone-amplifiers

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 33
No, both should work. I remembered there is a thread in which a fiio representative suggested the way I used. But 'brhfl' is right as well, cck+unpower hub+usb cable should also work (confirmed by other users).  It's like two cables vs two cables+hub comparison, which one do you prefer?  To be honest, I begin to love my iphone4(ipod) +LOD+ fiio e17 since they are much more convenient combos.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 33
You have sound for sure,  but it is not suggested. In this way the sound is double amplified by both iphone and fiio. using Fiio's LOD cable, it bypasses the phone or pod's own headphone circuitry, so it is only amplified by fiio (you dont want iphone to amplify it, right?). 

Also remember that no matter which way you try, the fiio only serves as amp but not dac on iDevices. On USB, the E17 does the DA-conversion itself (going from digital sound to an analog signal). With the phone, the phone does that conversion, and then sends the output to the e17 - and then you're limited by the quality of the DAC in the phone.

That's what I learnt from various threads in the forum. Using the usb cable with the your pc or laptop sounds like the best option. Some other andriod devices may also allow you to connect fiio with usb cable. But fiio cannot bypass the internal DAC of iDevices:frowning2: 

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 33
What about this?
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L11-Connector-Charge-iPhone/dp/B008EKON56/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1393023383&sr=8-3&keywords=fiio+l
I'm sorry for all the question , but i'm looking for the best way.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 33
It seems that the benefit offered by this adapter is charging your iDevices while listening.. I am not sure whether this will make your fiio a dac. And a further search from that amazon page reveals "The L11 is the same as the other FiiO LODs except that it adds the mini USB port for charging your idevice while listening through the LOD"(customer review).  So I don't think it will make fiio work as a dac.

Does it work for iphone 5 or 5s? I don't know since none of the customer reviews shows they use iphone 5. So maybe you still need the unpower hub, but the mass cables&adapters really kill my eyes... (I really hate idevices now...make things so complicated....). It's safer to try mine or brhfl's way, which were confirmed by me and other users. 

Back to your question, fiio+computer (without buying any additional cables or adapters) is the best way for listening. But for iphone 5, it's so hard to pick up the best way since they all make fiio function in the same way, as an amp.

I am a newbie as well, just my two cents,  please correct me if I am wrong:)

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 33
If the iPhone 5 — Lightning CCK — unpowered hub — E17 chain works, as described in the thread I linked to above, which… again, see the thread I linked to above, it should work… that route absolutely would have the E17 functioning as a DAC — Lightning has no analog line out, whereas the old 30 pin did. One of the changes in iOS 7 (7.1? something…) was allowing the CCK to work as a USB audio host on iPhone. As long as power draw isn't an issue, any driverless USB DAC should work now (I regularly use mine with my Modi). This was always an option on iPad, now it works on iPhone as well. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 33
  If the iPhone 5 — Lightning CCK — unpowered hub — E17 chain works, as described in the thread I linked to above, which… again, see the thread I linked to above, it should work… that route absolutely would have the E17 functioning as a DAC — Lightning has no analog line out, whereas the old 30 pin did. One of the changes in iOS 7 (7.1? something…) was allowing the CCK to work as a USB audio host on iPhone. As long as power draw isn't an issue, any driverless USB DAC should work now (I regularly use mine with my Modi). This was always an option on iPad, now it works on iPhone as well. 

Mind if i ask what's lightning cck and unpowered hub?
never heard about those.

Btw , can you use spotify app with e17 ? does it even matter which app i'm using?

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 33

Mind if i ask what's lightning cck and unpowered hub?
never heard about those.

Btw , can you use spotify app with e17 ? does it even matter which app i'm using?

Sure thing, sorry I didn't explain… Though I would recommend you read through the thread I linked to previously, for more details on the hub issue.
The Lightning CCK is actually called the 'Lightning to USB Camera Adapter,' link is to the product on the Apple store. It's a short cable (6" or so) — Lightning connector on one end, female USB A (just like on a computer) on the other. It's primary intent is for connecting a camera and moving pictures around. But, it has circuitry that puts the iPhone into USB host mode, and this as well as the USB audio implementation in iOS 7 means you can, for the most part, connect USB DACs that would ordinarily run without installing drivers. But, the catch is that powering a DAC is… well, a power drain. And there's protection in the iPhone, it won't attempt to run things that it thinks draw an excessive amount of power. This includes some DACs, the E17 apparently being one of them. But, if you slip a small, unpowered USB hub in the middle, some magical confusion happens, and the iPhone doesn't seem to care anymore. I'm less knowledgeable on those details, as I use mine with my Modi, and it doesn't draw that much current. Which is why I'd recommend you go back and look through that thread at how people are doing it.

What app you use doesn't matter at all, all audio will be routed through the E17.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 33
that's confusing. From what I read :http://www.head-fi.org/t/607272/fiio-e17-for-ipod, it seems that in 'ipod+LOD+fiio' combo , fiio only serves as an amp but not dac, is this right?

Back to this thread, as far as I understand from what you said, fiio can be a dac by using the way you suggested. So if I use apple lighting to 30pin adapter+LOD+fiio, does it make fiio only an amp or a dac/amp? 

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back