How can I talk some sense into a Skullcandy fan?
Dec 12, 2012 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

skinnygamer12

Head-Fier
I have a friend who owns Skullcandy Skullcrushers and thinks they are THE BEST. It gets rather frustrating obviously and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to convince him they're terrible or if its a lost cause...

He likes them even better than Beats because of the "subwoofer" so I fear he may be beyond help 
frown.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I have a friend who owns Skullcandy Skullcrushers and thinks they are THE BEST. It gets rather frustrating obviously and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to convince him they're terrible or if its a lost cause...

He likes them even better than Beats because of the "subwoofer" so I fear he may be beyond help 
frown.gif

If he's looking for high-fidelity, then sure, there's some argument to be made.

If he just wants a bassy headphone for wubwubwub, then, let him enjoy what he has. Nothing wrong with this.

Very best,

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 6
He's tried all sorts of good headphones in stores before, still likes the skullcrushers....  The most puzzling thing is that he listens to more than just EDM and rap, so I don't see how he puts up with them for non bass heavy genres. 
confused_face_2.gif

And I'm not trying to force my hobby on him, I just want him to see that there are better quality 'phones out there than skullcandy...

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

And I'm not trying to force my hobby on him, I just want him to see that there are better quality 'phones out there than skullcandy...

I'm sure that everyone here on Head-Fi can agree that we all tried to convince our family, friends, and often strangers that there are much better alternatives out, but we can only do so much as this is our own unique hobby. Some people may have success convincing, other may not. Some people aren't aware of a lot of things, us Head-Fiers are no different. Chances are, that person knows more than you at something, in the same sense as you know Hi-Fi more than him. I gave up trying to convince people that their headphones are both inferior and overpriced compared to the stuff I have. Some people just don't care enough.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 6
You have to realize we all listen for different purposes, this is more an audio physiological case where your friend obviously has a crush on hearing and feeling as much bass as possible while the rest for him is ok if it's "just there". He gets the enjoyment out of hearing & feeling this "wubwubwub" sound, not to hear all the fine details in music.

Different strokes for different folks, that's why he continues to persist the Skullcrushers are the best, you could let him audition for example Sony XB500, it might be a candidate he might like more but the skullcrushers still have this built-in vibrator though which tricks people that it has godlike amount of bass while it actually hasn't it's just a very ridiculous midbass spike with very lacking subbass frequencies. XB500 again would output more audible bass but due to lack of built in vibrator he might still prefer Skullcrushers but XB500 do output so strong bass pressure you so can even feel it. So yea, let him try a XB500.

The best cure for this kind of cases is giving him MORE of what he wants until he eventually gets bored out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back