How can I send a 600mb file over internet?
Mar 6, 2008 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

sebastian589

500+ Head-Fier
My friend and I have been doing some film/photography work as a collaboration with a third member (200 miles away), and we need to send some massive sized files to him, but of course the files are too large for an attachment. What is the best way to send them to my far away friend?

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 33
Use a service like Rapidshare, Megaupload, YouSendIt, etc.

For files that large, I think MegaUpload is your best and perhaps only choice. It's never failed me. Unless you need it to be held online for months, it's perfect.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
torrent

second that.

use portforward.com to get your router set up to forward ports, then download utorrent and use it to create and upload a torrent to your friend. I've done this before and it works great.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 33
Megaupload (or another upload site).

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 33
If you're going to be doing this on a regular basis, I would recommend FTP.

Depending on your ISP, bittorrent traffic is often shaped/throttled.
FTP will max your available bandwidth.
This is important because you likely have a crippled residential account with the upload bandwidth limited.
Hosting the files offsite i.e. Rapidshare et al, just creates an unnecessary middleman in the equation.
If time is of no concern then none of this really matters, just pick your poison.

Getting FTP working involves both client and server software. You need both.

FileZilla - The free FTP solution seems to be the best option, though I haven't personally used it. I use JSCAPE, but it's not free (far from it).

This is a fairly easy process, just read up on it.

Lightnin'

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 33
Using torrents just to send a file from one person to another is very silly.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 33
I think I'll give one of these upload sites a shot, if I decide I'm not too keen on that route I may be back tomorrow asking for help with a FTP setup, thanks for all your help folks

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using torrents just to send a file from one person to another is very silly.

not really. if he and his friend both seed, the third friend benefits from both uploaders. its also faster than uploading to say, megashare and then downloading, and its simple to pause and resume. torrenting is great
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not really. if he and his friend both seed, the third friend benefits from both uploaders. its also faster than uploading to say, megashare and then downloading, and its simple to pause and resume. torrenting is great
smily_headphones1.gif

but then it's limited to the usually poor uploading speeds of the two seeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back