How can I properly Burn Headphones? (Not Literally Speaking :D)
Jul 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

vayne08

New Head-Fier
How can I do that? I know that it takes a long time to do but, can I just use it normally(the headphones) until it is burnt-in or do I have to use pink,white, and brown noises in the process?

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 16
i just play it with music. IMO it is not really needed to use pink white brown radio yellow green noise for "burning in"

but if i think the headphones has harsh treble, i sometimes use pink/white/radio noise to tame up its treble. maybe its placebo or not though, but they do tone down the treble for me.

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
i just play it with music.

+1

I've always felt that this way was the best way. I've tried the drawer for hours thing, and it never made a difference, and I've just used music while listening, and honestly, it didn't make much difference either. I say just put on your headphones and enjoy some music. That's my opinion, anyway.

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 16
Just listen to them. Most changes will be from the pads softening and conforming to your head, than the effect of the music or pink noise on the driver itself. There is no need for any particular amount or method of "burn in"

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks guys, will just use them babies until they burn. 
gs1000.gif

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
Gasoline is the fastest way to burn headphones.

hahaha good one, that will be the fastest way to burn them :D..   will just listen to them buy just simply playing them with pure unadulterated music... 

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 16
Ok I think using white and pink noise will accelerate the burning, and when I bought my hd 448, the treble was a little bit harsh and after two weeks of listening to white noise and soft volume classical music, the overall quality got better, and I think the softening of the pad matters as well, as the sound wave adjust the foam to the shape of the ear

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 16
Will the sounds used to burn in headphones effect their long term sound? For example, if I burn in my hd650's with a lot of bass heavy music, will they handle bass better in the future? Or if I go with pink noise, will they keep a balanced sound better? I'm pretty unfamiliar with the concept, so I just want to make sure that playing music won't limit the sound capabilities. Is it best to alternate between music and pink noise? And the final question, I'm still trying to make a final decision on an amp, so I'm using my Sony home theater in a box receiver until I get it. Do headphones burn in properly without an amp?

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 16
My T70's portrays harshly on pianos. It doesn't get better even though I've used it for months.

Guess there isn't much about burning in tho in this regards.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #12 of 16
When I am not listening, I use the Ayre Irrational but Effacious CD and run Pink Noise, Brown Noise, White Noise, and a tone sweep repeatedly. I think the sweet spot is about 150 - 200 hours. Not too loud, just at a reasonable listening volume.

My dealer just uses classical music, I think, for one week 24/7.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
Will the sounds used to burn in headphones effect their long term sound? For example, if I burn in my hd650's with a lot of bass heavy music, will they handle bass better in the future? Or if I go with pink noise, will they keep a balanced sound better? I'm pretty unfamiliar with the concept, so I just want to make sure that playing music won't limit the sound capabilities. Is it best to alternate between music and pink noise? And the final question, I'm still trying to make a final decision on an amp, so I'm using my Sony home theater in a box receiver until I get it. Do headphones burn in properly without an amp?

I doubt anybody has a proper answer to this. I think the idea is to get the drivers moving. You can do that with noise or music. My dealer once suggested the best track to use is not noise but actually a glide tone that sweeps from the lowest possible frequency up to the highest possible frequency. I broke my HD600s in alternating that and a noise track, stuffed in a drawyer just straight out of my iPod and it did smooth them out. I think the idea behind the break in tracks is that it hits frequencies that your music might not so you get a more even break-in. Also I think you perhaps get a faster break-in because the noise is so complex.

Do they burn in "properly" without an amp? Oh, who knows. I suspect anything that gets those drivers moving will help.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #14 of 16
Isn't it wonderful by listening to the music through your new bought phones and growing gradually loving how it sound? I'm not sure if it's supposed to sound "perfect" as soon as you use it, but love always take time. Take time to appreciate how the new phones portrays music to your ears ^^

And of course, there is yet strong evidence to fully prove that burn in is required for all headphones to achieve that particular headphone's optimal audio performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back