How can I prevent Music Apps from resuming when using Bluetooth?
Jul 5, 2023 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nick24JJ

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, I need some help.

I am using my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra to listen to music with my iFi GO Pod and FiiO UTWS5. I am using Amazon Music Unlimited, YouTube Premium and UAPP.

When I stop the music and close the Music Apps, I take the ear loops off my ears. If I will accidentally tap on the volume button, the last Music App starts playing again. I stop it and close it and I am putting the ear hooks into their case. If I will tap the volume button it starts playing again. Even on the next day, when I take them out again, the most recent music Music App starts playing again! I've observed this with all the above Music Apps.

I've disabled START CAR MODE AUTOMATICALLY in the Amazon Music App and also ALLOW EXTERNAL DEVICES TO START PLAYBACK in the YT Music App. I have also restarted my phone. No effect. The last music App will resume, no matter what. I haven't dealt with UAPP, yet.

I am running Android 13 and Open UI 5.1

Any ideas what can I do?

Thank you

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 11
Almost all music app will run in the background when you just 'close' them normally. What you want to do is to close them from running in the background. I don't know enough about Samsung UI to know how to do it - that way I do it on my Xperia 1 IV (or any Xperia I owned before) is to touch the square button on the navigator bar (next to the round / home button and the triangular / back button) and it will call up all the background apps, find the one you want to stop and then swipe up to close it from running in the background. Other way is to push the 'clean all' button to close all background app together. Once the music app is closed from the background, pushing the button on the TWS adapter will not play music (or does anything), at least that's how it behaves on my Xperia.

Also, pretty sure you can download an app to do the same thing.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 11
If you go to Settings/Apps (lots of scrolling) you can go to each app and look at Permissions. Maybe you can stop them that way.

Otherwise it is a legitimate question for Samsung support.

Jul 6, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 11
Thank you for your replies.

I have tried various things on my Samsung S23 Ultra but also on my Xiaomi POCO F2 Pro. Long story, short, I am not getting consistent results no matter what I do. So, I give up. I will make sure to decrease the volume to minimum, each time I am taking off my GO Pod.

A few more details:
1) I opened this topic because the volume buttons on the GO Pod are so sensitive that when I take them off my ears and putting them back into their case to sit them properly, the music resumes.

2) My POCO F2 Pro has a native App called, Cleaner. I run it every time I close the music Apps. Talking here about Amazon Music, YT Music and UAPP. It does not work. As soon as I'll tap the GO Pod vol button but also the UTWS5 button, the playback from the most recent App, resumes.

3) My Galaxy S23 Ultra has something similar. In Settings I go to Battery and Device Care, select Memory and Clean Now. None of these music Apps appear there but, anyway, this does not help because even after Cleaning, the most recent music App still resumes.

4) Tried something different, too. Long-press on the App icon and select Info. Then check Permissions from there. I had mixed results with this. For the Amazon and YT Music Apps on the POCO F2 Pro, I could see an option: restrict Bluetooth control, or something like that. It seemed to work, initially, then not. On the Samsung, I could not find this option. I never found this option for UAPP.

So, I gave up.

I hope that someone with a Samsung or a POCO phone will see this and respond.
I do not dare to contact Samsung UK customer service because they are tragic...

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 11
Almost all music app will run in the background when you just 'close' them normally. What you want to do is to close them from running in the background. I don't know enough about Samsung UI to know how to do it - that way I do it on my Xperia 1 IV (or any Xperia I owned before) is to touch the square button on the navigator bar (next to the round / home button and the triangular / back button) and it will call up all the background apps, find the one you want to stop and then swipe up to close it from running in the background. Other way is to push the 'clean all' button to close all background app together. Once the music app is closed from the background, pushing the button on the TWS adapter will not play music (or does anything), at least that's how it behaves on my Xperia.

Also, pretty sure you can download an app to do the same thing.
^ This. I've been using Samsung Galaxies since they came out. You have to ensure that the app is actually closed, not just dimissed as a window. I use PowerAmp, mostly, but have use other apps that play music all the time. It's designed this way as a feature, not a bug. You want to be able to answer phone calls and return to what you were listening to before without missing anything.

Jul 8, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 11
^ This. I've been using Samsung Galaxies since they came out. You have to ensure that the app is actually closed, not just dimissed as a window. I use PowerAmp, mostly, but have use other apps that play music all the time. It's designed this way as a feature, not a bug. You want to be able to answer phone calls and return to what you were listening to before without missing anything.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Of course, I am completely closing the Music Apps. What I do on my S23 Ultra is that I tap on the 3-bars icon at the bottom left corner, then the Music App window gets smaller and I tap on Close All. Does this not close the App completely?

When using UAPP, I exit the App from the Settings menu and then do as above. Does this not close the App completely, either?

My point is, of course I close all these Music Apps completely. Without being sure, though, I believe that something else is happening here. I am not sure but I think that the Bluetooth device, for example the GO Pod, sends a Play command to the phone, as soon as the vol button is pressed, and then the last used Music App automatically starts.

Jul 8, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #7 of 11
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Of course, I am completely closing the Music Apps. What I do on my S23 Ultra is that I tap on the 3-bars icon at the bottom left corner, then the Music App window gets smaller and I tap on Close All. Does this not close the App completely?

When using UAPP, I exit the App from the Settings menu and then do as above. Does this not close the App completely, either?

My point is, of course I close all these Music Apps completely. Without being sure, though, I believe that something else is happening here. I am not sure but I think that the Bluetooth device, for example the GO Pod, sends a Play command to the phone, as soon as the vol button is pressed, and then the last used Music App automatically starts.
It's possible you have certain equipment/software that operates differently. My PowerAmp used to start every single time I plugged in a headphone cable. This was irritating, especially if I attempted it in the middle of a phone call. I can't remember where it was now, but I eventually found a setting that changed that.

You might simply try Google - "Stop my Samsung Phone from Resuming Music After Hitting Volume Button." Just an FYI, but the first response that came up was a YouTube video showing how to do this when simply connecting BlueTooth.

Jul 8, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #8 of 11
It's possible you have certain equipment/software that operates differently. My PowerAmp used to start every single time I plugged in a headphone cable. This was irritating, especially if I attempted it in the middle of a phone call. I can't remember where it was now, but I eventually found a setting that changed that.

You might simply try Google - "Stop my Samsung Phone from Resuming Music After Hitting Volume Button." Just an FYI, but the first response that came up was a YouTube video showing how to do this when simply connecting BlueTooth.

If you are referring to this video

Yes, I have already tried this but it does not work. I've said already that I have tried this at point 4 of my post above.

In general, I've already Googled this. Perhaps not a lot but I've done my research. It is not something easy to resolve. For me this is kind of an issue because, especially with the GO Pod and its very sensitive touch buttons, the music starts playing while I am trying to place them on my ears.

No worries, though, I will try to lower the volume to minimum each time I store them back in their case.

Thank you for your replies. 👍

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 11
Maybe you've tried these already but a couple ideas for things to fiddle around with:

-check your devices "contextual behavior" settings- for instance on my LG it has options for what to do when connecting to a bluetooth device. with Samsung this might also be part of the Bixby settings or advanced settings.
-look through all of the sound/media/volume/UI/bluetooth advanced/Bixby and disability settings for anything that assigns behavior to volume control
-maybe try toggling any 'volume sync' settings

-does this happen with any other bluetooth gadgets?
- if not then it might be something to do with the iFi - for instance IIRC I have Linkbuds which I can modify the behavior of through the sony app or bluetooth device settings.

If that's the case then I'd check on the iFi threads if you haven't already (and/or contact iFI directly), either for advice or seeing if others have the same issue- in the past they've also had a brand rep who is very active on the forums and might be able to advise or at least pass it along as a feature request.

Jul 8, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 11
Maybe you've tried these already but a couple ideas for things to fiddle around with:

-check your devices "contextual behavior" settings- for instance on my LG it has options for what to do when connecting to a bluetooth device. with Samsung this might also be part of the Bixby settings or advanced settings.
-look through all of the sound/media/volume/UI/bluetooth advanced/Bixby and disability settings for anything that assigns behavior to volume control
-maybe try toggling any 'volume sync' settings

-does this happen with any other bluetooth gadgets?
- if not then it might be something to do with the iFi - for instance IIRC I have Linkbuds which I can modify the behavior of through the sony app or bluetooth device settings.

If that's the case then I'd check on the iFi threads if you haven't already (and/or contact iFI directly), either for advice or seeing if others have the same issue- in the past they've also had a brand rep who is very active on the forums and might be able to advise or at least pass it along as a feature request.
Hi, thank you for your reply.

Yes, the same happens with my FiiO UTWS5, so I don't think it is GO Pod related. Regarding the other Settings you're suggesting me to check, there are so many, it can be anything. I will wait for someone with a modern Samsung smartphone to reply.

One more thing, I said earlier that I will be setting the vol (of my GO Pod) to minimum when storing them back in the case. This does not work, apologies for the misinformation. What I just realised is that, no matter how much I decrease the volume on the ear-hooks, after taking the GO Pod out of the case, it starts playing at a very loud volume.

I'll ask on the GO Pod thread about this now.

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 11
So, I've just contacted Samsung UK customer service about this matter.

Their answer:

Many apps are designed to keep on playing your music after they've been minimised, allowing you to keep on listening while using your phone for other things. Each app is designed differently, for example the YouTube app will not allow you to play music without looking at the app. (note: the guy missed the fact that I have YouTube Premium. He also missed the fact that I am not minimizing them, I am closing them. No worries, though)

If music is still playing after you've minimised the app it could be a design feature. Try returning to your music app and stopping the music manually or closing the app. It may take a few seconds for the app to close and your music to stop playing.

If your music continues playing, you can force the app to close. If the issue continues, we recommend contacting the app's developer.

Of course, I've Forced Stopped these Apps from the Settings menu, to no avail. All of them resume playback as soon as the volume button is pressed.

So, according to Samsung UK, this is an App feature/issue.

Attachments

• reply.png
    reply.png
    143.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back