How can I clean dusty speakers?
Aug 16, 2020 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
I never thought this would happen but I took the grills off some speakers today after one of the woofers was rattling and found the drivers were covered with a horrible layer of dust. It is as if the grills did nothing but hide the dust. I'm not sure how to clean them thoroughy without ripping the cones or doing other damage.

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 4
Can you provide us with some pics so we can get a better idea of how delicate the cones may be?

You can easily use a Swiffer duster or gently vacuum them off using the soft brush attachment on a vacuum. Just be super careful not to press too hard or slip and dent a cone.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 4
Can you provide us with some pics so we can get a better idea of how delicate the cones may be?

You can easily use a Swiffer duster or gently vacuum them off using the soft brush attachment on a vacuum. Just be super careful not to press to hard or slip and dent a cone.

I didn't think of a duster. I am not sure if that would just cause a dust storm or how well they capture dust or where to buy one. I was thinking about using a vacuum brush but I was imagining ripping cones since they're like 20 years old. Will try to take some pics later. Thank you.

Oct 2, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 4
My vacuum developed some kind of a jam even though the filters are all washed and cleaned. So I used the low-airflow opportunity to vaccuum the woofers and they didn't tear. Thanks, you can close the thread now :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back