How can I burn flac files to CD in Ubuntu?
Jun 26, 2011 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I see that Linux audio has not gotten much more user-friendly than I remember it being a few years ago. I just tried to burn my Steely Dan .flac files to CD and I can't figure out how. The Ubuntu default Brasero application says that the files are not valid...I take it Brasero can't burn flac.

I know I can transcode them all to wav files and use mkisofs and then cdrecord to do it the hard way, but I have a lot of CDs to burn here.

Is there a drag-and-drop program for Linux that will burn flac files to CD?

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 15
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS /64bit. Did you open Brasero and select "Audio Project"? I just did it and dragged a full CDs worth of flac files from the Nautilus file manager onto the Brasero window with no problem. I imagine they would burn just fine if I was of a mind to make a CD.

Edit: if your flac files aren't being recognized properly, you might want to double check that "flac" is properly installed in your version of Ubuntu. Open Synaptic Package Manager and search for "flac". I believe it's installed by default, but it doesn't hurt to double check.

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 15
I use GNOMEBAKER. As far as I remember it works fine.( it should be in your existing Install Software section.)

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 15
Flac is installed fine. I never wrote a script because I'm not good at it, but it works to do

flac -d ./*.flac

then do

cdrecord -v -pad speed=1 dev=0,0,0 -dao -audio-swab ./*.wav

and then do

rm ./*.wav

Is there any chance someone could glue these together with a bash script? I tried as follows but it wasn't working. I think it skips to the burning part before the files are converted to wav. Am I supposed to use the semicolons?

#! /bin/bash

read -p "This script writes all flac files in this directory to an audio CD. Other files may interfere or be deleted! Insert a blank CD and press enter"

flac -d ./*.flac;

cdrecord -v -pad speed=1 dev=0,0,0 -dao -audio-swab ./*.wav;

rm ./*.wav

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #9 of 15
Like Rizlaw, I have no problems with this.  On Arch, Brasero>New audio project recognises flacs as audio files and happily adds them to the list for burning. Maybe there's something odd about your flac files - have you tried with a different set?

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 15
I get the same problem.
I'm running Xubuntu 10.10 64bit.
I checked that flac was installed which it wasn't, so I did and I still get
".flac" is not suitable for audio or video media."
Just doing a "sudo apt-get build-dep flac" now.
It might fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back