how can I bridge a distance of 15 meters?
Aug 4, 2010 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Lawitz

New Head-Fier
I have a creative xfi soundcard and I would like to put my pc in a different room so I have no more pc noise. silencing the pc is no option, I want zero noise. the lenght of the cables have to be 15m. I have a 5.1 system which I might change for a 2.1 system and a stereo headphone. I would like to have both connected at the same time through a Y cable so I can just turn on the 5.1 system when I need it and turn it off when I don´t. to use the headphones I just put it on my head and it´s already on. I thought about just buying 15 meter cables, one for 15€ which had awful humming and one for 70€ which also had a bad humming noise. I got told that going digital was the only solution to error free sound. for that I would need an av receiver. but  I don´t think you can run the headphones and the 5.1 system at the same time with the ability to mute just the 5.1 system. maybe change the output source from 5.1 to the headphone jack in just one click? not sure if that is possible. I ordered some cat5 extenders which are supposed to extend the sound up to 300m through cat5 cables, they should arrive soon. but someone told me that there could be lag. another solution would be to use: analog cable->analog to digital converter->digital toslink cable->digital to analog converter->analog cable. but this could also end in lag and is supposed to reduce the sound quality because the sound is converted twice. I have no other ideas. If it has to be paid I´m ready to pay 300-400€ if its really necessary. I want to keep the xfi card because only with its settings (crystalizer, EQ and bass boost) the headphones sound right, otherwise they sound bland with no life in the sound. I tried the usb xfi 5.1 card but this uses much cheaper components, it sound quite a lot worse than the pci version so this too is no option. I also considered buying the logitech z 5500 system, but that won´t allow for a simple change between headphones and speakers, you need to plug in and unplug the headphone cable each time by the looks of it, maybe someone who owns it can clear this up? maybe in this forum someone might have a recommendation. the creative forum hasn´t given any answer, some other forum got me to where I am now but not to a real solution.

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 36
Wow, that's quite an essay, and I'm still pretty lost in understanding what your system actually is.

To solve this problem myself, I'd simply build a switchbox and put it on the desk.  5.1 goes in, simple switch disconnects the 5.1 and goes to headphone jack on the little box for headphones.

Come to think of it though, headphones on the X-Fi is the same as "Front" output.  I'd just use a $3 Mini-2xMini splitter, plug in headphones and front channel at the same time and when I don't want to listen to the 5.1, just turn the power off. :)

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 36
I already have that now. the problem is the distance of 15 meters. I somehow need this distance covered, regular analog cables wont do because there are disruptions in the sound.
here is a quick summary:
I have: XFI, 5.1 system, stereo headphones
the pc is standing 15 meters away
I need a connection between the pc and the 5.1 system and headphones.

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 36
Well, cable length affecting sq is pretty much the only cable claim that ISN'T a lie. The extreme length adds capacitance, resistance, and more exposure to interference. You're gonna have to deal with the noise, or claim that room.

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 36
Wow your post almost contradicts itself.
You admit there are aspects in cables that can affect sound such as capacitance and resistance yet you suggest these aspects only matter in longer runs?
Well you're entitled to your opinion.

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 36
To an uneducated Audio Religious, I'm sure it does "look" like I "almost contradicted" myself.

A $5 copper cable is going to produce the same result as all those absurd copper $40-5000 ones. Unless you're using some sort of superconductor which would be a gigantic waste of money.
I wouldn't think 15 meters is enough to cause a problem. What kind of cable did you try? Speaker level shouldn't have a problem if the cable is 10awg or thicker. I suspect headphone/line level might have trouble, esp if unshielded.

Don't forget that that in a DBT, a coat hanger will sound the same as a Monster Cable!
Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_wire
Edit2: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/124863-vocal-booth-15-meters-away-control-room-how-extend-signal-without-loss.html <--- looks like you should be fine. I haven't personally tried running anything that far.

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 36

Quote:
To an uneducated Audio Religious, I'm sure it does "look" like I "almost contradicted" myself.

A $5 copper cable is going to produce the same result as all those absurd copper $40-5000 ones. Unless you're using some sort of superconductor which would be a gigantic waste of money.
I wouldn't think 15 meters is enough to cause a problem. What kind of cable did you try? Speaker level shouldn't have a problem if the cable is 10awg or thicker. I suspect headphone/line level might have trouble, esp if unshielded.

I am not audio religious in the least.  You did contradict yourself if you think about it...you admit there are aspects that can affect sound quality....Oh wait, only in long runs!?
Don't go off on the $40-50,000 crap because that is not what anybody is talking about.  If your suggesting that cheap garbage zip cables sound the same as quality cables then you sound similar to the guys pushing the $40-50,000 cables just preaching from the other side of the fence. 
As I said you are entitled to your opinion, if you want to tie your system together with 25 cent zip tie cables, knock yourself out.

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 36
And yet blind tests and measurements show the difference between cables and wires to be completely negligible. Surely you belong to the Audio Religion with you unfounded beliefs.

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 36

Quote:
And yet blind tests and measurements show the difference between cables and wires to be completely negligible. Surely you belong to the Audio Religion with you unfounded beliefs.

..and yet I don't need other peoples opinions to give validation to my own.  If I want to test something I do it myself and make my own opinions based on what I know and have tested.
You really have to get down off your soapbox or you sound as bad as the guys preaching about the $40,000 cables just from the other side of the fence.
There is a middle ground where quality of the cable does make a difference...if not then go buy some garbage $2 cables with low grade connectors, cheap materials and tell everybody else how great they sound.
BTW, are these the same measurements for capacitance and resistance that you admit do make a difference?  You constantly contradict yourself...
You have your beliefs I I have mine...leave it at that.

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 36
As a cable lover, some might not like this but go to your local mega-electronic store and grab yourself some generic uber quality $2-3 dollar cable.  Just make sure you're getting the proper gauge and then some.  I went this way when I needed an 8m run under the house for the rear speakers with no problems.  Maybe I was lucky.

No matter which way you go, you're gonna have to spend some  serious money for a matched pair of cables running 15m with connects.

Hope the above both encourages and helps.
beerchug.gif

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 36
I tried these:
cheaper cable: http://www.amazon.de/Klinken-Kabel-InLine%C2%AE-PREMIUM-5mm-20m/dp/B00138LYD0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=ce-de&qid=1280973437&sr=8-5
quality cable: http://www.media-halle.de/shop/catalog/goldkabel-high-end-profi-audiokabel-35mm-klinke-p-5058.html?osCsid=5370b545b7589841c618d8cd1fe6be07
both end up producing a really annoying noise. the quality cable is protected with 3 layers of shielding but the noise is still there, no way I could live with that. when I use an extremely cheap 3 meter cable + a 1 meter cable all is still fine, but at 15 meters there is this really annoying humming (not sure how to describe the sound) coming out of the speakers and the subwoofer. going analog doesn´t seem to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back