How big of a difference does a powercord make on an outboard DAC?
Oct 18, 2005 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

IronLion

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I have a Signal Cable Magic Power Digital Reference cable arriving in the mail tomorrow for my Bel Canto DAC 2, and I'm just wondering how much of a difference I should expect to hear out of my DAC with a new power cord? I am using the stock cord on it now and have finally gotten around to upgrading it, as I feel like right now thats probably the weakest link in my system, as it is the one component that hasn't been upgraded from stock. Any opnions, info, experience, especially with the DAC 2 would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by IronLion
Hey, I have a Signal Cable Magic Power Digital Reference cable arriving in the mail tomorrow for my Bel Canto DAC 2, and I'm just wondering how much of a difference I should expect to hear out of my DAC with a new power cord? I am using the stock cord on it now and have finally gotten around to upgrading it, as I feel like right now thats probably the weakest link in my system, as it is the one component that hasn't been upgraded from stock. Any opnions, info, experience, especially with the DAC 2 would be appreciated. Thanks.

that power cord would probably best serve your computer, since your HD is serving as the transport. computers have alot of messy power things happening in it, so that cord can do the most good in that part of your chain.

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
that power cord would probably best serve your computer, since your HD is serving as the transport. computers have alot of messy power things happening in it, so that cord can do the most good in that part of your chain.

My computer? If you look at my setup below my postings, the sound is (at least theoretically) unaffected by my computer's power supply because I am using a USB soundcard to a coaxial digital cable to my DAC 2, which is what is actually producing the sound that is then amplified in my MPX3. Because the DAC 2 feeds an analog signal directly to my amp, thats probably where it would best serve as it will (again, theoretically) not hinder the output of analog sound by power restriction and should cut down on the of noise from RFI and my power lines. So, I don't see the logic to your suggestion, and besides, my computer doesn't have an IEC compatible power supply.

Oct 19, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 18
It'll make as much difference as you expect it will.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Hey, I have a Signal Cable Magic Power Digital Reference cable arriving in the mail tomorrow for my Bel Canto DAC 2, and I'm just wondering how much of a difference I should expect to hear out of my DAC with a new power cord?

LOL!! Head-Fi is one of the few places you will see posts like this. Priceless.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

and besides, my computer doesn't have an IEC compatible power supply.

That's the clincher not to use it on your comp then hehe! I still like putting the best power conditioning on the dirtiest thing in the signal tho, even if the only thing you have to worry about from your computer is jitter.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

^^

Well, please let us know after you have found out the best place to use your new power cord.

That also interest me. But I don't know the answer to your question.

Oct 19, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Hey, I have a Signal Cable Magic Power Digital Reference cable arriving in the mail tomorrow for my Bel Canto DAC 2, and I'm just wondering how much of a difference I should expect to hear out of my DAC with a new power cord?

Well, you go & try & listen & tell
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 18
First I am moving this to the correct forum.accessories

next-

Quote:

So, I don't see the logic to your suggestion, and besides, my computer doesn't have an IEC compatible power supply.

How is that possible ? You are saying you are running a regular two conductor lamp cord type power cord on your computer ?
If so you have more problems then a power cord on your DAC will solve.

Oct 19, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
How is that possible ? You are saying you are running a regular two conductor lamp cord type power cord on your computer ?
If so you have more problems then a power cord on your DAC will solve.

How is that possible? Its a laptop, thats how its possible. Now, perhaps I could upgrade the power cord running to the transformer that connects and powers my laptop, but thats about all I could do, and that would probably not help that much.

Oct 22, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestrel
Cables are honestly one of the LAST things you should worry about.

AC, yes, in initial setup, yes. Before you start upgrading components you should always first upgrade interconnects, then your AC powerstrip, then AC cables. At the cost of a single component upgrade you may upgrade the whole rig at once and with much better results thna say by upgrading *just* the source or *just* the amp.

Oct 22, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #15 of 18
A laptop is battery driven -- maybe even if connected to the mains. So the new power cord will best be plugged into the DAC2 if you ask me, the more so as the computer only serves as digital data provider.

The French Bel Canto importer where I have my unit from pointed out that a good power cord will make a huge difference. I haven't tried it though, since I've been a power-cord skeptic, and although meanwhile I tend to believe they could make a difference, I haven't had a top PC in my system.

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back