How big is the difference in Senn HD 580s and 600s?
post-751064
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 31

amol

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 23, 2003
Messages
528
Reaction score
11
Location
Boston MA
Joined
Mar 23, 2003
Location
Boston MA
Posts
528
Likes
11
How big is the difference in 580s and 600s sonically ? I was wondering if the extra $ 60 for Senn 600s were worth it over the 580s?

I will be building a CMOY amp for it, and probably would go for a PIMETA very soon, what would be reasonable buy for this setup?
Should i be going for the 600s?
 
     Share This Post       
post-751068
Post #2 of 31

commando

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
4,187
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Posts
4,187
Likes
10
I can't comment on the headphones, but you'd probably be better off skipping the cmoy and going straight for the pimeta, even if you need to save a little longer to go straight to it.
 
     Share This Post       
post-751070
Post #3 of 31

go_vtec

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
1,645
Reaction score
25
Location
US
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Location
US
Posts
1,645
Likes
25
Quote:

How big is the difference in 580s and 600s sonically ?


There is a slight improvement on HD600, but it is difficult to hear. You will need a very descent amp/source to hear the difference. Do a search, this topic has been covered MANY MANY times!
 
     Share This Post       
post-751101
Post #4 of 31

Buster Sword

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Messages
538
Reaction score
10
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Posts
538
Likes
10
I remember, the graph posted is near identical. graphs.headphone.com
The sound is 97% the same. the difference in price is due to the material, which changed the sound somewhat. Same drivers afterall.
 
     Share This Post       
post-751123
Post #5 of 31

mjg

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 20, 2003
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 20, 2003
Posts
4,755
Likes
10
The difference is VERY noticable. You should only use these with top notch gear to be appreciated, but Being an owner of both these and HD600s, I due detect the difference. I don't need to look at graphs to understand it : ]

When you use an upgrade cable, then the difference is even more ridiculous. They are of the same blood type, but these babies are something special.
 
     Share This Post       
post-751131
Post #6 of 31

Buster Sword

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Messages
538
Reaction score
10
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Posts
538
Likes
10
mjg. I have heard different. but then again you got BOTH +awesome sources
are others correct in saying these R the same drivers? Thats what they all told me when i asked over here.
 
     Share This Post       
post-751169
Post #7 of 31

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2003
Messages
9,559
Reaction score
29
Joined
Jul 23, 2003
Posts
9,559
Likes
29
It depends on your ears and equipment. I can hear the difference immediately when swapping between them using my digital rig (see .sig below), but I've owned both for quite some time now.

The HD580s sound more colored and "closed in" -- I'm convinced it's mainly the difference between the grilles (HD600s + metal screen allow more sound to escape than the plastic grille on the HD580, thus sounding more 'open' and neutral) but some will (and have) disagreed with me.

Is the difference worth the price? In my opinion, the answer at this point is "absolutely" since the 600s have dropped in price. However, the 580s are in no way disappointing as a standalone headphone.
 
     Share This Post       
post-751207
Post #8 of 31

Karlosak

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 26, 2003
Messages
197
Reaction score
11
Joined
Mar 26, 2003
Posts
197
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
I'm convinced it's mainly the difference between the grilles (HD600s + metal screen allow more sound to escape than the plastic grille on the HD580, thus sounding more 'open' and neutral)


I agree with that. When I compared my HD600 to Glassman's HD580 there was a slight improvement (more openess, clarity and detail) but after detaching grilles on both phones they became indistinquishable...

So is the price difference worth it? Soundwise IMHO no, but the build quality is better with HD600.

Or you can buy HD580, detach the original grilles, order the grilles for HD600/650 (depends on your color taste...) and end up with a hybrid that will sound as HD600 and look even better


(btw. HD650 grilles on HD580 look super! Try it for yourself - there was a thread where to buy them cheap)
 
     Share This Post       
post-751208
Post #9 of 31

gswpete

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 16, 2002
Messages
512
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jul 16, 2002
Posts
512
Likes
10
The 600's have a more focused sound, slightly less grainy treble and a little more bass.
 
     Share This Post       
post-751928
Post #10 of 31

zachary80

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 7, 2003
Messages
1,375
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jun 7, 2003
Posts
1,375
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally posted by Karlosak
IOr you can buy HD580, detach the original grilles, order the grilles for HD600/650 (depends on your color taste...) and end up with a hybrid that will sound as HD600 and look even better


(btw. HD650 grilles on HD580 look super! Try it for yourself - there was a thread where to buy them cheap)


Has anyone tried this or just removed the grilles at all? I have been tryign to decide between the two, and that would make my decision much easier.

Also, where is the hd600 just $60 more?
 
     Share This Post       
post-751938
Post #11 of 31

gswpete

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 16, 2002
Messages
512
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jul 16, 2002
Posts
512
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally posted by zachary80
Has anyone tried this or just removed the grilles at all? I have been tryign to decide between the two, and that would make my decision much easier.

Also, where is the hd600 just $60 more?


Ok, I tried getting HD 600 grills from Sennheiser and for some reason they only sent me one. So I tried one type of grill on each side of my 580. IMO, there was a slight difference in the sound. Not much, but after over a year of listening to my 580's I could immediately tell that the balance was a little off.

The HD600 can be found for around $180 to $200 on the for sale forum here.
 
     Share This Post       
post-751942
Post #12 of 31

zachary80

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 7, 2003
Messages
1,375
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jun 7, 2003
Posts
1,375
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally posted by gswpete
Ok, I tried getting HD 600 grills from Sennheiser and for some reason they only sent me one. So I tried one type of grill on each side of my 580. IMO, there was a slight difference in the sound. Not much, but after over a year of listening to my 580's I could immediately tell that the balance was a little off.

The HD600 can be found for around $180 to $200 on the for sale forum here.


I am only going to buy new headphones. Isn't another main difference the matched drivers?
 
     Share This Post       
post-751965
Post #13 of 31

GlowWorm

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 9, 2002
Messages
2,165
Reaction score
16
Joined
Dec 9, 2002
Posts
2,165
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally posted by Karlosak

HD650 grilles on HD580 look super! Try it for yourself - there was a thread where to buy them cheap


I did a search, but couldn't find the thread. Could somebody help locate it for me? Thanks.
 
     Share This Post       
post-752129
Post #14 of 31

pedxing

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 25, 2001
Messages
1,479
Reaction score
12
Joined
Aug 25, 2001
Posts
1,479
Likes
12
HD600 is suppose to have better quality control and driver matching. However, this does not guarantee that all HD600 will have better matching drivers or better sounding drivers than those found on any HD580.

HD600 does sound noticeably better. I thought it sounded more smooth.

Some people actually found the HD580 more comforable than the HD600.
 
     Share This Post       
post-752134
Post #15 of 31

gort

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 3, 2004
Messages
342
Reaction score
0
Joined
Feb 3, 2004
Posts
342
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally posted by pedxing
HD600 is suppose to have better quality control and driver matching. However, this does not guarantee that all HD600 will have better matching drivers or better sounding drivers than those found on any HD580.


I thought HD600s were matched to 1db while HD580s were to 5db. If my recollection is correct, there is no way HD580 can be better matched unless HD600 is defective.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top