How big is the difference in Senn HD 580s and 600s?
Apr 2, 2004 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

amol

500+ Head-Fier
How big is the difference in 580s and 600s sonically ? I was wondering if the extra $ 60 for Senn 600s were worth it over the 580s?

I will be building a CMOY amp for it, and probably would go for a PIMETA very soon, what would be reasonable buy for this setup?
Should i be going for the 600s?

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

How big is the difference in 580s and 600s sonically ?

There is a slight improvement on HD600, but it is difficult to hear. You will need a very descent amp/source to hear the difference. Do a search, this topic has been covered MANY MANY times!
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 31
I remember, the graph posted is near identical. graphs.headphone.com
The sound is 97% the same. the difference in price is due to the material, which changed the sound somewhat. Same drivers afterall.

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 31
The difference is VERY noticable. You should only use these with top notch gear to be appreciated, but Being an owner of both these and HD600s, I due detect the difference. I don't need to look at graphs to understand it : ]

When you use an upgrade cable, then the difference is even more ridiculous. They are of the same blood type, but these babies are something special.

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #7 of 31
It depends on your ears and equipment. I can hear the difference immediately when swapping between them using my digital rig (see .sig below), but I've owned both for quite some time now.

The HD580s sound more colored and "closed in" -- I'm convinced it's mainly the difference between the grilles (HD600s + metal screen allow more sound to escape than the plastic grille on the HD580, thus sounding more 'open' and neutral) but some will (and have) disagreed with me.

Is the difference worth the price? In my opinion, the answer at this point is "absolutely" since the 600s have dropped in price. However, the 580s are in no way disappointing as a standalone headphone.

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
I'm convinced it's mainly the difference between the grilles (HD600s + metal screen allow more sound to escape than the plastic grille on the HD580, thus sounding more 'open' and neutral)

I agree with that. When I compared my HD600 to Glassman's HD580 there was a slight improvement (more openess, clarity and detail) but after detaching grilles on both phones they became indistinquishable...

So is the price difference worth it? Soundwise IMHO no, but the build quality is better with HD600.

Or you can buy HD580, detach the original grilles, order the grilles for HD600/650 (depends on your color taste...) and end up with a hybrid that will sound as HD600 and look even better
biggrin.gif

(btw. HD650 grilles on HD580 look super! Try it for yourself - there was a thread where to buy them cheap)

Apr 2, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Karlosak
IOr you can buy HD580, detach the original grilles, order the grilles for HD600/650 (depends on your color taste...) and end up with a hybrid that will sound as HD600 and look even better
biggrin.gif

(btw. HD650 grilles on HD580 look super! Try it for yourself - there was a thread where to buy them cheap)

Has anyone tried this or just removed the grilles at all? I have been tryign to decide between the two, and that would make my decision much easier.

Also, where is the hd600 just $60 more?

Apr 2, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by zachary80
Has anyone tried this or just removed the grilles at all? I have been tryign to decide between the two, and that would make my decision much easier.

Also, where is the hd600 just $60 more?

Ok, I tried getting HD 600 grills from Sennheiser and for some reason they only sent me one. So I tried one type of grill on each side of my 580. IMO, there was a slight difference in the sound. Not much, but after over a year of listening to my 580's I could immediately tell that the balance was a little off.

The HD600 can be found for around $180 to $200 on the for sale forum here.

Apr 2, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by gswpete
Ok, I tried getting HD 600 grills from Sennheiser and for some reason they only sent me one. So I tried one type of grill on each side of my 580. IMO, there was a slight difference in the sound. Not much, but after over a year of listening to my 580's I could immediately tell that the balance was a little off.

The HD600 can be found for around $180 to $200 on the for sale forum here.

I am only going to buy new headphones. Isn't another main difference the matched drivers?

Apr 2, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Karlosak

HD650 grilles on HD580 look super! Try it for yourself - there was a thread where to buy them cheap

I did a search, but couldn't find the thread. Could somebody help locate it for me? Thanks.

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 31
HD600 is suppose to have better quality control and driver matching. However, this does not guarantee that all HD600 will have better matching drivers or better sounding drivers than those found on any HD580.

HD600 does sound noticeably better. I thought it sounded more smooth.

Some people actually found the HD580 more comforable than the HD600.

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by pedxing
HD600 is suppose to have better quality control and driver matching. However, this does not guarantee that all HD600 will have better matching drivers or better sounding drivers than those found on any HD580.

I thought HD600s were matched to 1db while HD580s were to 5db. If my recollection is correct, there is no way HD580 can be better matched unless HD600 is defective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back