How big an upgrade can I expect from Sony MDR-Z7 to the MDR-Z1R?
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bob9722

New Head-Fier
How big an upgrade in terms of sound quality can I expect from Sony MDR-Z7 to the MDR-Z1R? I also have the Z7 and am thinking about upgrading to a Z1R (I will be running both out of a 4.4 balanced Sony amp - TA-ZH1ES). Alternatively, I can get the Fostex TH900 Mk 2 (or even save up for a pair of utopia in the future). Can owners of both Z1R and Z7 help me with the decision?

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 7
If i were you, i would save up for Utopia. I mean it can do everything much better, outside of bass quantity. Would love to have Utopia :D Besides, for bass needs you can still get cheap Fostex.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 7
Save up for a utopia.

Z1R while a major step up from Z7, they pretty much have the same characteristic, warm and bassy. Just think Z1R as a refined and perfected Z7. Don't get me wrong, i love my Z1R, more than my Utopia. But, Utopia will offer you more, in your case, since you already have Z7. Of course, ideally, just get both lol.

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Well never have heard the Z7 but have heard the Utopias and ZR1’s several times and I would pick the Utopias every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back