How bad is the isolation in the v-moda m80?
Aug 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

daniel521

500+ Head-Fier
Im not concerned with isolating outside noise since the music gives enough isolation for me, I'm concerned with the sound leakage. I listen to medium-high volumes, will people beside me be able to hear the music clearly? I don't mind if its just a little bit, I just don't want some people to see I listen to metal lol. How does it's isolation compare to the m50's isolation? Is it a lot worse?

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 13
from my review

Isolation:

Experience with on ears as lead me to realize that it is not the best design for good quality isolation. These are also ported/vented. These two factors combined do lead to a sub-par isolation. For the most part when your out it will not cause to many problems however some noises that are of low frequencies can case problems to the sound.

If isolation is a huge factor I recommend some full size over the ear cans that are closed and even have a good noise cancelation.

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Will the isolation improve significantly if I cover the vents? I might do that when I desperately need some isolation.

Not significantly no and it will also make the sound less bassy and more compressed. On ears in general do not isolate well.

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #9 of 13
I own a pair of M80's and I've tested both the sound leakage and isolation (on an airplane).  

Leakage: I played my M80's on extremely high volume (~106 db) in a silent room with my sister no more than 2 feet away from me; she could barely here anything more than a dull murmur.  So overall, leakage is not a problem for the M80's.  

Isolation: I used my M80's on a plane ride to Puerto Rico last weekend.  I played them at a high volume (~82 db) and although I could still here the engine, I could still hear my music and could enjoy it...kinda.  Although the isolation is not the best, it is tolerable, but only that: tolerable.  

Used the formula in this thread for the db approximations: http://www.head-fi.org/t/586490/approximating-headphone-volume-output-db

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 13
I purchased the M-80s with great trepidation given all the reviews of poor isolation and must say I don't get it at all. No, they are not noise-canceling and in particularly noisy atmospheres they require the volume to be turned up a bit, but they are so comfortable even at high volumes I did not find this to be an issue. I can be sitting next to my kids on the couch while they watch TV and with these on at 60% volume level from my iPad, I am complete immersed. I will say I have a particularly small head, and the isolation quality is definitely positionally affected, but I would not hesitate to try these and will recommend them to others. And for my 2 bills, a great bit of SQ to go along with it.

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I purchased the M-80s with great trepidation given all the reviews of poor isolation and must say I don't get it at all. No, they are not noise-canceling and in particularly noisy atmospheres they require the volume to be turned up a bit, but they are so comfortable even at high volumes I did not find this to be an issue. I can be sitting next to my kids on the couch while they watch TV and with these on at 60% volume level from my iPad, I am complete immersed. I will say I have a particularly small head, and the isolation quality is definitely positionally affected, but I would not hesitate to try these and will recommend them to others. And for my 2 bills, a great bit of SQ to go along with it.

I guess the music itself does 90% of the isolation :)

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
I guess the music itself does 90% of the isolation :)

If something isolates well, the music shouldn't do the isolating.  The headphones should.  That is the reason why they say the M80 isn't the best isolating.  I do have to state that for headphones (on ear), the M80s aren't bad at all.  One of the better ones despite having some open areas on the back. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

If something isolates well, the music shouldn't do the isolating.  The headphones should.  That is the reason why they say the M80 isn't the best isolating.  I do have to state that for headphones (on ear), the M80s aren't bad at all.  One of the better ones despite having some open areas on the back. 

I already ordered the m80, I'll test the isolation when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back