How bad is smoke for headphones?
Jan 23, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #31 of 49
...at a swap & shop. They were covered with cigarette residue. I took the trouble to clean them, only to find they sounded REALLY bad. I thought I would have permanent hearing loss! I can't help but think that the residue was on the drivers too, and that made them sound bad, or was it because they were SONYS??

Laz
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #32 of 49
So then does smoke actually hurt headphone's performance or does it just make them smell bad and have nasty "caking" on them. Lazarus Short said the pair he bought sounded bad, but is that deffinitly because of the smoke? I haven't seen anybody in this thread definitively state that smoke hurts the performance of the headphones.

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregr507
I can't believe you're more worried about your headphones than your health. You can buy new grados in a couple of years, you can't buy new lungs. Sorry if I sound like a jerk but smokers kind of annoy me, I really see no good reason why anybody would smoke other than to "look cool" which I think is a pretty poor excuse.

For some people, its taste. For some, its stress. For some its just pleasure. What right do you have to crucify them? As long as they are well aware of the risk to their health and chose to accept it, let em be.

Personally, I find people who will make a blanket statement about the perceived intelligence of any group far more annoying than smokers.

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #34 of 49
Ok, so I thought about saying something when I read that post to, but lets just not go there...

Jan 23, 2005 at 10:53 AM Post #36 of 49
Well, my most used headphones are usually not far around me in the same room in which I smoke - but, for example, I haven't noticed more of a difference between my 3 year old K240S and a brand new one recently except what already seemed to have changed with burn-in over the first few hours on the old unit. So apparently no problems yet. I'd freely admit anytime that smoking and dust in combination are not good for mechanical stuff like vcrs or floppy drives, though...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jan 23, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

I can't believe you're more worried about your headphones than your health. You can buy new grados in a couple of years, you can't buy new lungs. Sorry if I sound like a jerk but smokers kind of annoy me, I really see no good reason why anybody would smoke other than to "look cool" which I think is a pretty poor excuse.

You do get a nice buzz from smoking, you know...equivalent to alcohol, in some ways.

It definitely calms you down...

Alcohol is terrible for your health, too, but I don't see that stopping anyone from getting trashed every weekend. It's not quite as bad, but it's still bad...

NOTE TO READER: crazyfrenchman27 does not smoke, but he is a major investor in Philip Morris.

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddhaSack
Depends on what kind of smoke. Cigarette smoke would be bad though there are other 'therapeutic' types of smoke that might actually ENHANCE the users enjoyment! Imagine that!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

From what I read that type of smoke is actually causing even more lung-damage than cigarettes due to the prolonged time of intake, so one should reconsider that practice.
frown.gif

BTW, if you like to enjoy tobacco for its taste, as several strictly non-smoking people I know do, you could use a waterpipe. Has funny side-effects too, such as concerned people walking up to you only to find out you're having fruity tobacco in there.
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
From what I read that type of smoke is actually causing even more lung-damage than cigarettes due to the prolonged time of intake, so one should reconsider that practice.
frown.gif

BTW, if you like to enjoy tobacco for its taste, as several strictly non-smoking people I know do, you could use a waterpipe. Has funny side-effects too, such as concerned people walking up to you only to find out you're having fruity tobacco in there.
tongue.gif

I don't know where you got that information, and this thread certainly isn't the place to discuss it, but from my research there is no evidence of the sort. Especially when you consider the amount of smoke inhaled (weight of dry material). A pack of cigarettes is a LOT of smoke. I do enjoy smoking cigars, but never in my house and never inhaling them. As for the waterpipe, I'll do you one better--- a vaporizer. Vaporizers don't even burn the material, they heat the 'material' up just enough so that the 'essential oils' vaporize. These are recommended by doctors all over California and other such states.

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddhaSack
Depends on what kind of smoke. Cigarette smoke would be bad though there are other 'therapeutic' types of smoke that might actually ENHANCE the users enjoyment! Imagine that!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

You can accomplish the same feat with alcohol. A few vodka martinis can give you several hours worth of unrivalled listening enjoyment.

I find that my Grados seem more 'real' with some alcohol in my system.

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
You can accomplish the same feat with alcohol. A few vodka martinis can give you several hours worth of unrivalled listening enjoyment.

Grey Goose only I hope? And if not, you need to get on that wagon, best vodka in the world.

Feb 3, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

You are yourself, I am myself, you do as you like, I do as I like - lets keep it that way. It's because people want to make other people do things that there are wars in the world you know
biggrin.gif
(Oh and YES i am way more worried about my preciouuuus headphones than my health).

Thanks to you all for the answers, altho half say "yes it will do harm" and the other half says "no it wont" roflmao.

Anyway, I do smoke outside, the err... enhancer kind too, I'll have to try vodka with the Grados, haven't thought of that yet...

Feb 3, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

basically i haven't met very many people who when asked why they smoke answer "to look cool" in fact i've never met one, that is probably the most ludicrous thing i have ever heard and if those ramblings of nonsense spewed from my oral cavity i would definitely run to the nearest pet store, buy myself a muzzle for fear that if anyone in the world heard my nonsensical chatter they would in fact become dumber for having listened to it. and for your information people smoke for the same reason i do......... because they like smoker's cough and having a hard time exercising....... why else would you smoke, honestly!

Feb 3, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
Anyway, I do smoke outside, the err... enhancer kind too, I'll have to try vodka with the Grados, haven't thought of that yet...

Well, I smoke inside and outside and both the standard and the errr...
wink.gif
Nevertheless, I'd think vodka is too harsh for the Grados - but I could very well imagine a nice Muscat de Frontignan to perfectly complement Grados on a sunny Saturday afternoon... Hmmm... Hmmm, yup - and then some of the errr!
biggrin.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back