How bad is smoke for headphones?
Jan 20, 2005 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

morphie

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

As a smoker I wanted to know if anyone had an idea on the potential damages cigarette smoke can do to headphones (Grados in particular). Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Jan 20, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 49
not as bas as it is for your lungs
tongue.gif
. i imagine it would take years for the smoke to have an effect, though it will put a layer of tar on the headphones everywhere the smoke manages to penetrate. i have seen delicate electronics that were covered in tar from years of exposure, and they still worked properly. personally, i don't smoke any place where i have electronics, but that is mostly a side effect of me not liking to smoke indoors.

Jan 20, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 49
I'd keep them away from the smoke if possible. I tried a pair of headphones on when I was at my friends house (his parents smoke inside) and almost threw up when I smelled the headband and ear cups. If others will be trying your cans on, or if you plan on selling them, I'm sure the buyer wouldn't be happy they smell like smoke.

Jan 20, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
personally, i don't smoke any place where i have electronics, but that is mostly a side effect of me not liking to smoke indoors.

Just like me. Any "indoors" that is not a pub or so is just not really as suitable since you always screw up the food, the furniture, or the electronics. Or upset the nonsmokers. Ever finger-tested a home-smoker's TV-screen? Ever tried to clean a smoker's keyboard? Yuck! Besides, I would hate to come home to a place that smells like an ashtray.

Team Smoke Outside!
etysmile.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Just like me. Any "indoors" that is not a pub or so is just not really as suitable since you always screw up the food, the furniture, or the electronics. Or upset the nonsmokers. Ever finger-tested a home-smoker's TV-screen? Ever tried to clean a smoker's keyboard? Yuck! Besides, I would hate to come home to a place that smells like an ashtray.

Team Smoke Outside!
etysmile.gif

Yes, and let the smoke pour into someone else's windows and lungs.

Unless you live in a house with at least one acre of land.

-Ed

Jan 20, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 49
That smell makes my puke. I wouldnt be able to wear them longer than 10 minutes, regardless of how good they sounded. IMHO cigarette smoke can render them useless.... IMHO

Garrett

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)

Team Smoke Outside!
etysmile.gif

heh, exactly. i like the option of not smelling like cigarettes, so i like it when my clean clothes smell clean. the people that smoke in bed boggle my mind, too. i like my sheets to be clean, not gunky. i guess, basically, i just like the cigarette smoke to be in my lungs and nowhere else
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Yes, and let the smoke pour into someone else's windows and lungs. Unless you live in a house with at least one acre of land.

In this place we have a lot of wind carrying the smoke away quickly, and lot of rain washing it out of the air. It is that yellow gunk on people's cars...
tongue.gif

I get your point though, and since I hate 2nd hand smoke I am always very considerate not to harass others with my bad habit. It is a matter of respect.

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
the people that smoke in bed boggle my mind, too.

*please-imagine-Oliver
smily_headphones1.gif
-producing-healthy-noises-of-nausea* Or maybe before having breakfast, or while eating...

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 49
overall i'd say the easiest way to upgrade/mod and enhance your headphones performance and increase their resale value ten-fold is to blow all of your second hand smoke directly into the headphone drivers every time you light up a cigarette

team smoke 3 cartons a day!!!

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by emadgin
overall i'd say the easiest way to upgrade/mod and enhance your headphones performance and increase their resale value ten-fold is to blow all of your second hand smoke directly into the headphone drivers every time you light up a cigarette

In addition I would like to suggest putting the cig out on the grills of your phones, this is especially enhancing for Senns and Grados.
basshead.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 49
i agree 100% possibly even buying a spare set of senn hd650 so u can use the them as an ashtray while ur listening to your regular set

Users who are viewing this thread

Back