How bad do open Ultrasones leak? (hfi2200, pl2500..)
Apr 26, 2008 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SBD

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking at the hfi 2200 ULE. I know only like 3 head-fiers have it but the pl2500 should have the same leakage.

When I got my Grado sr-60, I thought they leaked a ton and I got used to it but anything more than that and that could be a deal breaker. Do they leak less/more than Grados?

(ps I said I left head-fi but I really just can't help it. lol...that's why I left
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 26, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 12
I don't know about the Grado's, but I have the 2500's and leakage was much less than I had expected beforehand. They obviously leak more than closed cans, but if you keep the volume at a reasonable level it's not too bad at all. Maybe not suited for a quiet library, but in an environment with at least some noise I think they would be OK.

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 12
Personally, I think my Proline 2500's are possibly one of the most leaky headphones around, they sound surprisingly loud and can even be heard in the next room!

Having said that, this doesnt bother me, and although mine are young and havent fully run in yet, they are showing the signs of being *extremely* promising - despite being somewhat disappointed at first!

Apr 26, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 12
I must say I'm surprised to hear that! Maybe it's my ears and I am the only one thinking the Proline 2500's aren't leaky... (I use them at work, must ask my neighbour what he thinks). I think I'll get someone in the same room to give me a more objective opinion. Does the amount of leakage change during burn-in? Leakage or no leakage, they are great phones.

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 12
I know open ultrasones aren't really "open" in the back. But I suspect Grados would leak waaay more in the front and the back wouldn't leak that much more b/c it's still a lot smaller, right?

I think it was pbirkett that got me confused. He said something about them being way leakier than other open cans he tried.

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 12
even my closed dj1pro leak like mad. if ultrasones do not fit your head they will leak. with different pads and fitting the phones to my leg so; even then do they leak. but, ultrasones: there is something about them.

i am a beyer head but my pennies are being saved toward ultrasone ed 9 (if only that bloody headband would be changed)

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both 2200s and SR-80s. I don't notice much of a difference between the two as far as sound leakage. If you can live with the SR-60s, then the 2200s will be fine. Enjoy!

smily_headphones1.gif
Cool, another 2200 owner.
kudos to ultrasone for making them BROWN!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 12
pbirkett, you did have Grados before..what makes you say the 2500 leaks more than any other open cans you've tried? or have you just not used your sr80s much?

please give me your insight b/c I'm kinda confused right now.

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #12 of 12
Well all I can say is that sometimes I fall asleep with my headphones on and I'll often subconciously take them off my head but leave the music playing....

I've noticed with the Proline that it sounds far louder when I wake up than it has done with other cans. I know that I listen loud but I did so with all of my cans.

I've also noticed that when i take them off to go for a drink (again music left on) how loud they are.

I really do think that they sound louder than other cans for sound leakage, or maybe i'm just listening to them louder than other cans but I doubt it.

I even tried taking them off and going into another room (doors closed) and I could still hear them.

Not complaining because I enjoy them and its not really an issue for me.

All IMO of course.

Edited to add: I did not use my SR80 very often so you may be right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back