How are the Sony MDR-D66SL Eggo's?
Dec 7, 2004 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

D41LYBR34Dm4n

New Head-Fier
I'm lookin' for some new portable closed cans, but not to drive or anything, I'm a n00b to the world of headphones. My friend recommended these to me over the HD280's and Ultrasone 650's.

Speaking of which, how are the 650's?

I'll be listening to metal.

Dec 7, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 28
Eggos are my favorite and thats all i listen to is rock. Mine arnt stock though so they are a little bit better on the bass side.

I have the D22, D55, D66 and D77 the D77 have the best sound but are rare. The D66 are just a click under the D66 after you mod them. I traded a set of DT770/80 for a set of the D77s and Grado SR80s for the D66 because i just love em.

Dec 7, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 28
I also think that the Eggos D66 are a decent pair of cans for their price range. They don't have much bass in stock form compared to other cans but it is there. The D77's are much better with more slam and a deeper bass range. Unfortunately the D77s are hard to find and can get quite expensive.

Dec 7, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 28
I adore my eggos..I had a slight malfunction with them in the cold but that was resolved. I did BowerR64's mod to take out the foam but not hole in the membrane because I think that reduces their isolation effects. They still pump out the bass and I can clearly hear lower freq. now (using a sine generator at loud volume). They're truely amazing and the best sound to ever come out of any portable solution. They're sooooo freaking comfy too. I mean I can't imagine sleeping on your side with them on but when you're walking around, oooh Moses! Don't bother with them new unless that kind of thing matters to you. They get better with age - the one sony product that's lasted for me.

Dec 7, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 28
Its easy to cover that hole if you want the isolation back. It weird i thought they were fully open when i first got them and for a while i would cover the outside port with tape because i thought they were open. I cut a neat little curcle the size of a quarter but i didnt notice any change because they are closed. I think the membrane thing just makes them semi closed, it allows sound to come in but not alot. When you put the hole it makes them true open and that helps the bass. I got some of this dynomate isolation matt that is real sticky on one side and has a thin foil side. If i wanted good isolation i would put that over the little hole on the inside but it would thin the sound.

Here is the hole you just pop the outside cap off no need to even take em apart. Melt a little hole in the thin membrane. When you want the isolation back cover it up with ducktape.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Dec 7, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 28
I've read quite a few good things about the D66's, so I'm gonna order them soon. Sounds like they're one of the better choices available as far as full-sized portable headphones go, plus they're cheaper than the HD25-1's.

Bower, how does the modded D66 bass compare to the DT770's? And are there any adverse effects from the mod?

Dec 7, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 28
I'm one of the few who isn't a big fan of the Eggos. IMHO the Koss KSC-35 is better than the Eggo.

Dec 7, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
Bower, how does the modded D66 bass compare to the DT770's? And are there any adverse effects from the mod?

well the D66 only cost $100. the DT770/80 cost about $200. eggos are 32ohm DT770 are 80 they take quite a bit more to drive. For my rig the eggos are better. The DT770 have their place but not for my setup.

I just sent my DT770 out for another set of D77s if that tells you anything. Im a bass head and i prefer the eggos.

The only thing i can see that you wouldnt like about the mod is that it would leak more in and out. Its so easy to just cover the hole with gum, or silly putty, tape, anything should atleast try it. I think it balances the sound out.

Apr 13, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 28
Something doesn't make sense about this mod.

Open headphones are generally known for reduced bass. Closed headphones are known for greater bass.... right?

So why would opening the D66 create more bass? I've yet to read a good explanation of that.

Apr 13, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 28
I would say that they have a very neutral sound in general. Very balanced, which most people like. It isn't a dark sound, but it isn't horribly bright either, so it doesn't really cause any fatigue. However, details are more easily heard than other portables like PortaPros and PX100s. It seems to be a lot more clear as well. I'm only comparing this to the PX100 in this case, but the when I listen to the Sennheisers now it seems like the sound emits a lot of fuzz and static, almost like the difference between cheap headphones hiss and PX100 clarity that I noticed when I upgraded. Perhaps this is just the "Sennheiser veil" although it seems more than just a veil as it's quite distracting now. The d66 also have a decent soundstage - as good a one as I've listened to - but it's still quite good to listen to on the go.

The bass is pretty tight and again balanced well with the rest of the mix, though most people will find they want more of it (me included.) which is easily accomplished. At stock, to me it's loud enough to clearly hear and appreciate but you have to listen for it instead of it coming out to you. I think they'd be pretty good for metal (once you do the bass mod anyway) as bass in metal tends to be pretty complex, which the tightness and accuracy of the Eggos' bass helps. I think the defining factor in all of this though, which determines whether a person likes or hates the Eggos, is whether they want neutral headphones or fun headphones. I have always listened to music without changing the EQ settings and I think I like the music to be as neutral as possible. Thus the Eggos sound fun enough to me. Other headphones probably sound a lot more fun than these though.

Apr 13, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 28
It didnt make sence to me either but it works. When your talking speakers and wooden cabnets i think it works like you think. Closed has better bass (with the correct size cabnet ofcrose) open has a thin sound.

WIth headphones i found it to be the oposite, (maybe its because the plastic cups?) with the eggos the driver seems tight and it doesnt seem to move with it closed. When its open it seems to take less power to move the diaphram. Its like its fighting to move the air that creates the bass.

What gave me the idea is with the grado SR60s, they sound good like they are. If you try to cover the back of the drivers it gets thin and honkey. If you look at the beyerdynamic DT770 (considered to be the basshead can of choise) you will notice they have a small port as well. Each cup has a little hole on the right side of the cup and these are considered to be the most bass heavy of any top quality cans on this site.

You just have to try it for yourself before you believe it.

Apr 13, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #12 of 28
Bower,

When you make the hole in the membrane, is it possible to carefully use a drill to make the hole instead of a soldering iron? The reason I ask is that I currently don't have a soldering iron. Can the membrane itself be removed from the ear cups?

Apr 13, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 28
"WIth headphones i found it to be the oposite"

Don't most people say that closed headphones have more bass and less soundstage? That's the general rule right?

With the Grados, they have no room behind the speakers at all if they're sealed airtight, so that makes sense to me it would radically change the sound.

Still though, I find it difficult to see why a pea sized hole would be needed. Doesn't the DT77o have like a couple milimeter sized hole, and isn't the pea sized hole by volume maybe 10x as large? So if it's just airflow, wouldn't a pencil lead sized hole work for the D66?

Not trying to be a jerk, just curious.

Also, how was your graph of the D66 pre/post mod generated?

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #14 of 28
I have the D66's and I really like them. They sound great (very evenly balanced, with just enough bass after the mod) and they are portable enough that I use them walking to and from my classes.

I think the hole in the membrane mod is more comparable to a closed sub vs. an open one. Closed subs are generally more tight, but not as loud given the same specs and input. Open subs give out more volume but it comes at the expense of tightness. I thought BoweR64's bass mod worked great. The bass was lacking before I did the mod, and now it is still tight and controlled, but is much more present without being overpowering.

Check out my quick Review of them here:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113177

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #15 of 28
Hi, sorry if i'm 'highjacking' lol...but what is the leakage like on these babies....it seems the isolation is ok, even with the hole mod...So just wondering about leakage...say if i was on a plane or next to someone on a train?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back