How are the HD600s for gaming?
Apr 29, 2010 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Trysaeder

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a headphone to use with my M³ and I found I could get the HD600 and DT880 for similar (but still massively high) prices. Hopefully 330-350 AUD for the HD600 and 350-370 AUD for the DT880/600
I currently use the AD700 for both music, skype and gaming (not that much fps) and I tried a new equaliser that progressively dropped the high frequencies, starting at -9. I found the music very different, and I like it, very smooth and not fatiguing at all, not that I found my AD700 with +3 treble really fatiguing.

So I can go one of 2 paths, get the DT880 which are similar to the AD700s and apparently very close to neutral and awesome for FPS games, or the HD600 which, from what I've read, has that nice smooth sound. I've tried the HD650 for a short time and remember finding them fine to listen to, but I don't remember much else, so I think I'll be ok with the HD600 sound. I absolutely hated the IE8 because of its massive bass and zero isolation, but the mids and highs were ok.

Since they're on opposite sides of the spectrum, the deal breaker would be performance in games, as that would be the only common ground these 2 would be used for.

If all else fails and I can't decide, I'll just grab the first one that appears in the FS forum and ships to Aus.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 18
Senn's HD580-650 series are notoriously weak in soundstaging, which often translates into poor positional audio in games that offer it, and I can at least vouch for that much with my own 650's. On the other hand, their smoothness makes them very non-fatiguing, so if you don't care about positioning, but want to play for hours and hours on end, they may be worth considering.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 18
The 600's are quite good for gaming.

My current favorites are my $5 Sentry IEM's for late night gaming. They are fun. However, if I am in a competitive mood, my new favorites are the Fischer Audio FA-004's. They have a sound signature similar to the HD-600's but are closed so that prevents the sound leakage my wife hates.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 18
If your not that much into FPS, then soundstage is not an issue. Hd600s would be nice.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 18
The m3 will definitely give something like the DT880/600 justice!
AUS to US = .9 USD and they're still complaining!
DT880/600 is much better than the HD600 for both gaming and music and you got an amp to do it justice.

Join the small but great m3 + DT880/600 club!
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 18
By the way, there are several gaming impressions for the H650, one by I think it was Audioholic and there's a round-up with a lot of headsets, and the HD650 was just kind of thrown in. Of course, that is the 650.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The m3 will definitely give something like the DT880/600 justice!
AUS to US = .9 USD and they're still complaining!
DT880/600 is much better than the HD600 for both gaming and music and you got an amp to do it justice.

Join the small but great m3 + DT880/600 club!
wink.gif

It's not the currency conversion, it's the $60 shipping that stops me from getting these.

I'd like to know where you got yours from.

Also, Sennheisers are out of the equation now.

Apr 30, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senn's HD580-650 series are notoriously weak in soundstaging, which often translates into poor positional audio in games that offer it, and I can at least vouch for that much with my own 650's. On the other hand, their smoothness makes them very non-fatiguing, so if you don't care about positioning, but want to play for hours and hours on end, they may be worth considering.

Hd600's are very different to the hd600's and are not at all smooth sounding, and have quite a good soundstaging when properly amped. The M^3 will drive the HD600's very nicely. Trysaeder what DAC are you using?

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trysaeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not the currency conversion, it's the $60 shipping that stops me from getting these.

I'd like to know where you got yours from.

Also, Sennheisers are out of the equation now.

I got mine from Drew @ Moon Audio. It was about US$50 ship but it was fast ship. You can also get it at HeadphoneSolutions as well (dunno shipping cost or speed).

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #13 of 18
I just bought, and returned the AD700, due to poor comfort with my narrow head and lack of any bass. Yes, you can pick out details very well, but so can my M50, SR225 and HD580. Soundstage is way overrated in gaming. Almost all decent headphones I have tried, have been more than acceptable. I was using the 580 (with 600 grills) for gaming last night and loved the smooth presentation, yet you could still pick out foot steps and where vehicles were coming from. Even my Grados do well for gaming. If you don't like the AD700 highs, you won't like the Beyers, unless you want to EQ them.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehve /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think this is spot on. I have the 600s and the positional is weak. However much have to do with your sound card as well.

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 18
STAX SRS-2050A
biggrin.gif

I have AD700 here. Soundstage is larger than my Stax but it's kinda fake and imaging is not so accurate. If you are into online FPS I think it will do due to simpler sound structure (few guns firing and footsteps, that's it) but in more complicated situations like in songs or RPG where dialogue and ambient noise play key roles (Mass Effect?) it just sucks.

My Stax has narrower soundstage but more accurate imaging. Not mention its great resolution and "genuine" sounding that make dialogue in games/movies sooo real. I have just demoed some friends on Splinter Cell Conviction and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier trailers and now they are finding they jaws on the floor.

A little bit more on imaging. Let's say I listen to 5 seconds drum playing changing from snare to kick and hi-hat etc... on Stax, I'm sure I'm able to replay it if I have a drum handy. On AD700 it will take 3-4 times listen to that part again and again before I can differentiate which part of the drum drummer is hitting on (ok each drum part sounds different but it's easier for you to replay if you can *see* rather than just hearing).

More on human voice, each guy's voice sound more different due to high detail and more human due to more accurate reproducing.

Explosions sound so nice too since the bass goes deep low yet not overwhelming the whole spectrum. I tested the HD Tracks CD and some Dubstep songs and my Stax passed those tests nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back