How are the ATH m50s with Hip Hop?
Dec 31, 2012 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

meatydog

New Head-Fier
I was thinking about buying either them or the AKG k618. How's the portability of the m50s? Which are better with HH? Also feel free to give other propositions, I want low sound leakage and portability tough.

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 8
I would say that the AKG k618 sound decent... They are on the ear headphones, so you wont get the isolation that the ATH m50's have... they are also pretty bass heavy...hmmm if I had to choose 1, it would be the ATH m50's. 

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 8
Isolation isn't much of a deal to me, I'm more concerned about sound leakage. I hate the fact that i might piss someone off with the music im listening to. So how is it on both models? Also how's the portability of the m50? Can you wear them comfortably on the move and don't look like a idiot?

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 8
The M50's dont really leak much sound at all... well enough for your needs. I would choose these over the AKG k618 again because these go over the ear.  Now, looks wise.... your not going to look "awesome" with M50's on lol... but it wont look ridiculous.  ( I wear my SRH 440's around and get major stares...My parents say I look like a space cadet :/) Dont know about the AKG k618 though. They are smaller than the M50's, so they may look better in public.

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 8
The m50 will stay on your head well, buy at the same time it can have a tight clamp. The ear pads material and the tighter clamp can also make your ear sweat if you are walking outside after 20-30 mins depending how hot it is. They are some what big for portable, but a good size for full size portable. They are built well so no need to worry about hurting them, they do fold pretty small and comes with a bag. The downfall for me as far as portable is the long wire, straight cable version seems too long and the coil version cable can be weighty when wearing them. Look wise, most bigger headphone will look some whAt off in my opinion, but the m50 do look simple enough as far as styling. Oh they are somewhat heavy for portable and I think the swivel ear cup can be some what clumsy for on the go, don't get me wrong the way how the swivel and claps works great but for me on the go should be slightly simpler. They isolate well and don't really leak either.

Overall, I think they are okay for portable, nothing great. In my opinion if you are walking with them consider something smaller, lighter with shorter cable. If you are going to carry them to a certain destination and sit down for a listen then they might work.

No comment on the akg as I never tried them.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
The m50 will stay on your head well, buy at the same time it can have a tight clamp. The ear pads material and the tighter clamp can also make your ear sweat if you are walking outside after 20-30 mins depending how hot it is. They are some what big for portable, but a good size for full size portable. They are built well so no need to worry about hurting them, they do fold pretty small and comes with a bag. The downfall for me as far as portable is the long wire, straight cable version seems too long and the coil version cable can be weighty when wearing them. Look wise, most bigger headphone will look some whAt off in my opinion, but the m50 do look simple enough as far as styling. Oh they are somewhat heavy for portable and I think the swivel ear cup can be some what clumsy for on the go, don't get me wrong the way how the swivel and claps works great but for me on the go should be slightly simpler. They isolate well and don't really leak either.

Overall, I think they are okay for portable, nothing great. In my opinion if you are walking with them consider something smaller, lighter with shorter cable. If you are going to carry them to a certain destination and sit down for a listen then they might work.

No comment on the akg as I never tried them.

Agreed on all of this.  I think the m50's are great for airplane travel, but I think if I was on public transportation daily, I would go for something smaller.  Even when hanging out at my house, the tight clamping and the ear pad material make my head sweat a bit. If I was out walking around, they would feel a bit heavy, and I'm sure I'd start sweating a bit more.

I have a portable set of Sennheisers that sound good on the go, on ear, but the bass on those is lacking a bit. Sorry I don't have any other recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back