How are Pocket PCs for Audio and Video?
Mar 23, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #31 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
What headphones/earphones did you guys use with your X50v? I tried using my X50v with my gear and it absolutely sucked until I used heavy EQing. It was still worse than the MP3 players I've had experiences with.

Did you guys use an external amplifier?

I used Sharp MD33's with it. yes I did use an EQ with it as well. no amp, however.

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #32 of 74
Quote:

What headphones/earphones did you guys use with your X50v? I tried using my X50v with my gear and it absolutely sucked until I used heavy EQing. It was still worse than the MP3 players I've had experiences with.

Did you guys use an external amplifier?

Im using UM2's

What program are you using to run mp3s? They all sound different... thats the joy of PPC's you and have 3 progs for 3 different DAP sounds in one unit.

My fav is WMP with superbass added in control pannel. Sounds superb - no boom or muddyness - clean n punchy!

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #33 of 74
for music I used WMP and Pocket Music. WMP in the car because of the big buttons, and becuase I didn't need an EQ then. Pocket Music when listening out of headphones/speakers because 20 band EQ = awesome.

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #34 of 74
I was curious after reading this thread so I gave my X50V a try.

With Senn HD590's and Pocket Player the sound was great with no equalization. Comparable to my Iriver ifp 790.

With the Shure E4c's I had to equalize substantially to get sound quality I am happy with (still needs some adjustment when I get time). This is also consistent with the Iriver as I find I need to use the built in equalizer with the Shure's.

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #35 of 74
Ah I see.
smily_headphones1.gif
I did some more listening with my HD650 and SA5000 and they actually sounded okay. For some reason the PDA doesn't work too well with my lower-end headphones.

I'm thinking about getting a new IEM to replace my broken ER-6 but I'm only goign to use it with the X50v if I do buy it. I'm on an extremely tight budget right now so I'm afraid that I'll be wasting the money on the IEM if it doesn't sound good with the X50v. Truthfully, if it turns out that the IEM doesn't work well with the X50v, I would have wasted the much needed money that I paid for the IEM. (I don't have and don't have the money to purchase a new MP3 player.)

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #36 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
I was curious after reading this thread so I gave my X50V a try.

With Senn HD590's and Pocket Player the sound was great with no equalization. Comparable to my Iriver ifp 790.

With the Shure E4c's I had to equalize substantially to get sound quality I am happy with (still needs some adjustment when I get time). This is also consistent with the Iriver as I find I need to use the built in equalizer with the Shure's.

Intresting... my iRiver ifp 790 is not in the same league as the iPaq 4150 - with stock headphones its almost as good - but when you plug something like Um2's into them then you can hear the real gap in SQ! The iRiver sounds rather tinny in comparison.

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #37 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician
Intresting... my iRiver ifp 790 is not in the same league as the iPaq 4150 - with stock headphones its almost as good - but when you plug something like Um2's into them then you can hear the real gap in SQ! The iRiver sounds rather tinny in comparison.

I'm going to spend some time this weekend with some music I know and do some A to B to C testing with the Iriver, the X50v, and my Yamaha reciever.

I'll see what that results in, but so far the X50v looks good for music.

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #39 of 74
Get a iPaq 4150 or hx1950 - nothing is slimmer out there!

I had a Palm - not good for music - sounded like an iPod - no bass - and distorted if you upped the bass.

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #40 of 74
well, I just ordered a X51v! I just couldn't get myself to spend close to the same amount of money to get a single-use device. Soon I hope to get a 4GB SD card and the Seagate 12GB MD when it comes out in the summer (currently I have 1GB SD and 4GB MD).

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #41 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnev
well, I just ordered a X51v! I just couldn't get myself to spend close to the same amount of money to get a single-use device. Soon I hope to get a 4GB SD card and the Seagate 12GB MD when it comes out in the summer (currently I have 1GB SD and 4GB MD).

Nice.
biggrin.gif
You might want to consider an extra battery as well if you plan on watching videos a lot when on the go or wifi.

If only I had enough money to buy large memory cards.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #42 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by OlivePink
Anyone with experience with Palml handhelds? T5/TX/E2? I want something SLIMMER than a Pocket PC.
wink.gif

Plugged my ER-4P's into my Palm TX once....right after I bought it. The hiss out of the TX was so bad that I have never used the headphone out since. Also, the headphone jack on the TX is recessed a little bit so the Ety's don't really go in fully without you pushing them in and holding it. So now I use my Karma/HD5 as a dedicated mp3 player and the tx as an organizer/checking email/light web surfing.

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #43 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by OlivePink
Anyone with experience with Palml handhelds? T5/TX/E2? I want something SLIMMER than a Pocket PC.
wink.gif

I am also using the Palm TX and ER4p earcanal phones. The Palm TX headphone out is very hissy with low impedence headphones, but once you playback music or video you cannot hear the hissing. For casual listening it is ok, but if I am going to be listening to my music for an extended time I am going to use my Mp3 DAP instead. I have never heard the distortion on the lower end or bass on my Palm TX and Koss KSC-35 (or my Ety ER4P headphones. But just as UW Howie mentioned the headphone jack is weirdly recessed into the body and not all headphone plugs can plug into the PDA correctly (unless if you have some sort of cable adapter.)

Besides the Hiss the Palm TX is not that bad with bundled Pocket Tunes and the FREE TCPMP audio and video player. However, I think Pocket PC has better programs available for audio and video playback. But for the size, stability, and options the Palm TX is a decent device. It is nice to watch hi-res videos, listen to music, view my digital pics, edit my Microsoft Word Documents through the excellent DataViz office software, and surf the web and check my email.

I was looking into PMP players and decided to go with the Palm TX instead.
cool.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #44 of 74
Quote:

Nice.
biggrin.gif
You might want to consider an extra battery as well if you plan on watching videos a lot when on the go or wifi.

If only I had enough money to buy large memory cards.
evil_smiley.gif

between my old X50v and now this, I have four 1100MAH batteries
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back