How are Pocket PCs for Audio and Video?
Mar 25, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #46 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
i use panasonic hje-70 if i'm in the 'fun mood' and audio technica ck7 if i'm in the 'analytical mood'. i have a 2.5mm - 3.5 mm adapter. it does not have a mic. i also have a headset that has a mic and has a 3.5mm jack for me to plug in my earphones.

no idea what audio chip the prophet has, but it sounds pretty good to me.

When you use the 2.5mm-3.5mm adapter, does it disable the microphone? I'm not asking if the adapter have a microphone.

Try this. Plug the adapter to the phone. Then try to speak towards the microphone and see if the person on the line can hear you. Thanks.

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #47 of 74
Ok, *bump*... or more like *shovel away dirt and cast 'raise dead'*?
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, I've seen people drooling over Cowon iAudio D2, it's features, etc... nearly decided to buy it myself... but then I saw the price.
Then I saw the price of HP 2190.
Found them to be absolutely the same (at least, here).

So, for the same price you get larger touch screen (much better readability of text), better OS, greater versatility (especially when it comes to reading ebooks), pretty much the same features when it comes to music playback if I'll install PocketMusic Bundle or similar, admittedly 4x times less battery life - but it's replaceable and I can get 3x larger one (theoretically, guess it would be not that easy to get in Russia), and much greater expancion capabilities SD (plus SDIO) and CF II, which is larger and cheaper, Bluetooth, etc.

So, given the fact that I'll be using the portable device mostly for listening to music (Pioneer CL-30 earbuds so far, wanna get an IEM) and reading ebooks, does buying that particular model of Ipaq sound like a good substitution for D2?
I read that sound of Ipaqs with good player installed is comparative to HQ flash/hdd MP3 players (not Hi-Fi, but I don't expect that), and they are louder then most of them.
Is it so?

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #48 of 74
I found this to be a very interesting thread.

PDAs I've used have always seemed to have sub par audio output. I might actually consider one now.

Are there any phone/pda combos that perform well being a combination phone/pda/mp3 player?

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #49 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found this to be a very interesting thread.

PDAs I've used have always seemed to have sub par audio output. I might actually consider one now.

Are there any phone/pda combos that perform well being a combination phone/pda/mp3 player?

check out the HTC devices. throw in integrated GPS and you really have an all-in-one solution.

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #50 of 74
ehhh.... The more I think about it the less I want to have an all in one device. That would mean I would need a data plan, and on top of that my choices with verizon are pretty limited.

I think I may look at getting an X51v though.

EDIT: Those of you using the x51v, what kind of battery life do you get?

EDIT2: I don't really see any advantage, for me, in getting the 51v when I'm mainly goign to be using it as an MP3 player. Any reasons in particular to go with the higher res screen?

EDIT3 [haha, last one I sware.]: Any other PDAs besides the X51/X51v that sound good?

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #51 of 74
Well, I've read some reviews, and Acer 311 looks very good:

Affordable price (only 1/2 more expensive then D2, for instance), 3.7" VGA display (perfect for ebooks), 400 Mhz processor, WM5, only SD card slot, though, but it's among the smallest PDAs out there and looks just perfect, unlike aforementioned X51v.
However, I've yet to see a review of it with some numbers - however, a couple of them noted that it's good and quite on par with high-quality MP3 players.
However, X51v has BETTER SQ then most mp3 players, that's for sure, based on iXBT review I've read - those are some impressive stats, surely better then already mentioned Cowon D2.
Not so sure about Acer - anybody has links, or personal experience of listening to it?

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #52 of 74
haha, wow, old thread..

well, I haven't had any experience with other pda's other than the x50v and x51v, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. I do know that both times when I was buying them they were buy far the best priced and had the best features. the're really not that big, either. sure something like the 4150 was smaller (not sure about acer), but really these things are already so small I really wouldn't worry about the size. I really can't think of one negative to either of them off the top of my head, except for the fact that there was no integrated cell phone, which brings me to my next point...

I sold my x51v about a month ago. I wasn't using it nearly enough as I felt I should, mainly because I bought a motorola Q. it performed all the functions I needed my pda for, was smaller and had a keyboard. I still use it for music with bluetooth headphones (not nearly as good SQ, but on the go I don't have time to appreciate it anyways).

right now if you're considering a pocket pc, I'd really recomend checking out a pocket pc phone. carrying two devices on you sucks IMO, and most of the time I was just leaving my pda at home. pocket pc phones don't have the expandability of something like an axim with both sd and cf slots, but I've found that 2gb is plenty for me for one day of music.

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #53 of 74
Quote:

Veniogenesis

Dude get a new LCD. My HTC Wizard lcd cracked in my bottom coat pocket because of closing a car door(always keep my mobile on my chest pocket now if i'm wearing a jacket). I was able to get an lcd off ebay for about 70 shipped a couple weeks ago.

EDIT: ahh. I didn't realize this was resurrected from the dead. Ignore my comments lol.

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #54 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphones/earphones did you guys use with your X50v? I tried using my X50v with my gear and it absolutely sucked until I used heavy EQing. It was still worse than the MP3 players I've had experiences with.

Did you guys use an external amplifier?

Use X50mix ... and you will get those extra bass/clear sound

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #55 of 74
x50mix: http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~jmisurda/ppc/x50mix/x50mix.htm
TCPMP: http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/ (be sure to get the plugins you want as well)

I'd say the x50(v) has ok sound but with my er4 the hiss was just too much. Though, in connection with TCPMP as an allround video player/pmp it's fantastic with vga full hardware support if you have the x50/1v (the Intel G2700). It's quicker than my (albeit aging) laptop when it comes to starting the video and plays almost every file without any hiccups what so ever in all "common" resolutions. No need for transcoding. Though, with .ogm I had a bit of a framedrop problem (maybe that particular file, I don't know) and AVC/H264 doesn't do too well, either. The new Coreplayer (the commercial follow up of TCPMP) is said to play AVC but I don't know how well.

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #56 of 74
I have two ipaq 2115 which sound good with Pocket Music and k81. Not as good as RH1 though. But better than 1G nano IMO. Pocket PCs are great devices. Slipped on a steep hill with it in a fanny pack, broke screen. Had it replaced and is still running strong.

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #60 of 74
Hmm, didn't manage to listen to 51v, but it's quality is proved already.
Anyway, after listening for HP 2190, I found audio quality to be pretty good - I'd say very good! Almost on par with my X-fi, though it's not saying much - I didn't "hotrod" it.
Used my Senns HD-280 for testing - set to maximum loudness it was, well, indeed maximum loudness I could bearably listen to music to - so I don't think it's an issue.
I wish I can listen to Acer 311 - I love it's looks and features, but I'm unsure of it's sound quality - some its good... others claim it's imply unsuited for listening to music. *shrug*

Anyway, more detail:
Used tracks: Classical Shubert's 1822, Symphony №8 (Kleiber) in b (Unfinished) (Orchestra pwnage
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Symphonic Black Metal:
Limbonic Art - Dark rivers of the heart (acoustic guitar, keyboard plus traditional BM tremolo guitar riffage).
Summoning - Orthanc (a sort of drum solo, great for testing bass)

Loved it all. Sure, it lacked *some* punch and detail of my desktop rig, but I didn't expect even that.
So, if anyone, unless he's audiophile extraordinare, wanna buy that or similar (2490, 2790) PDA, I recommed that.
However, I'd wish to buy something with VGA screen (cause reading ebooks is much more enjoyable using VGA screen) and a bit more pocketable... like abovementioned ACER.
Loox 550 looks (no pun intended
smily_headphones1.gif
) good too, if a bit pricey, however it does lack some features of Dell 51v while having pretty much the same price (but it does sport USB-hub).
Heard nothing about it's sound, however...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back