Mar 8, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #16 of 74
yeah, i know about iplay too...the only problem is that iplay is pricey =/

(i just spent all my remaining money on my microdrive
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #19 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by HadenGra7
Cool! Hey.. for a MicroDrive, why not just buy a used Rio Carbon or something and rip it open? That's what I did for my SLR!

How about Palm PDAs? The Tungsten T|X?

I think I might upgrade my order.
biggrin.gif

the newer ones (ipod mini's, carbons, zen micros, etc) don't work with pdas because they are "locked" (something like that, i forgot the correct word for it) to their specific device and the pdas won't read from them, though cameras will.

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #20 of 74
I presently own and iPaq 5555 and am not that thrilled with either the audio end of things. I found my Karma to be superior and much more enjoyable. The Vision:M is very close to the ipod in my book in terms of audio playback. Acceptable but nothing really to write home about but we are talking portable here....and with no amps to boot.

As for video, I was using .wmv files created with DVD to PPC software. Quality was only average. Noted a good bit of pixelization and the playback was choppy. Playing .avi files yielded better results but the audio was a bit choppy. Using the ZVM was a much better experience. I felt it handled the video and audio of the .avi movies very well and everything was much smoother.

Personally, I have both and if I have to take one on the road, it will be the ZVM(batter life is no contest!). If you need wireless net and email, I can see the PPC but if it's just for entertainment, I'd think either a ZVM, iAudio unit or a video ipod would be a better traveling companion. JMO.

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #21 of 74
maybe it might be the 5555 then? no offense, but in my experiances, my X50v had MUCH better sound quality than my zen micro (albeit I've never listened to the karma), and played video better than any pmp I've seen yet, not to mention that it will play almost any format ever developed (the only format I can think of that i'm unsure of is ALAC). right now I'm considering getting the X51v with a 8GB microdrive instead of the X5 I was going to get, and I will probably end up going that route if cowon doesn't introduce something incredible at CeBIT.

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #22 of 74
like every dap has a different chipset - same with PPC's. I think the 5555 has a texas instruments audio chip.... not the philips one used in 4150 and iRiver H140

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #23 of 74
then the 4150 must sound just AWESOME. my X50v had the same chip as the ipod (not sure which gen), and it sounded very nice, better than any ipod i'd ever heard, so the amp probably also plays a large roll in the SQ.

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #24 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
i'm using a HTC Prophet as my main portable player now. it is a phone, pda, camera, movie player, music player and internet browser rolled into a single device. the amp is ok for non-power hungry earphones like the ck7 i'm using it with. i'm using tcpmp for both movies and music. on-the-move video watching is acceptable on the qvga 2.8" screen. it has touchscreen so that i can go to any points in the movie quickly.

What earphones are you using and more importantly are you using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter? If so, does it disable the microphone?

Also can anyone tell me what audio chip is in the HTC Prophet/Imate Jamin? Thanks!

Mar 23, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #26 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
What earphones are you using and more importantly are you using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter? If so, does it disable the microphone?

Also can anyone tell me what audio chip is in the HTC Prophet/Imate Jamin? Thanks!

i use panasonic hje-70 if i'm in the 'fun mood' and audio technica ck7 if i'm in the 'analytical mood'. i have a 2.5mm - 3.5 mm adapter. it does not have a mic. i also have a headset that has a mic and has a 3.5mm jack for me to plug in my earphones.

no idea what audio chip the prophet has, but it sounds pretty good to me.

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #27 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnev
to end this happy tale on a sad note, i accidentally ran over my x50v in my car (long story) about a month ago, hence my talking about it in past-tense. i almost cried when it happened (still works, but the screen shattered, so it's somewhat unuseable).

That's so sad. How did you run over your PDA in a car? Tell.

I've heard PDAs have nice amps and clean sound many times before. If you can grab a microdrive from a DAP like a muvo2 or mini then you're rocking. It's just like having a Lifedrive (but without the ridiculous pricetag).

Mar 23, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #29 of 74
Quote:

then the 4150 must sound just AWESOME. my X50v had the same chip as the ipod (not sure which gen), and it sounded very nice, better than any ipod i'd ever heard, so the amp probably also plays a large roll in the SQ.

Quote:

maybe it might be the 5555 then? no offense, but in my experiances, my X50v had MUCH better sound quality than my zen micro (albeit I've never listened to the karma), and played video better than any pmp I've seen yet, not to mention that it will play almost any format ever developed (the only format I can think of that i'm unsure of is ALAC). right now I'm considering getting the X51v with a 8GB microdrive instead of the X5 I was going to get, and I will probably end up going that route if cowon doesn't introduce something incredible at CeBIT.

What headphones/earphones did you guys use with your X50v? I tried using my X50v with my gear and it absolutely sucked until I used heavy EQing. It was still worse than the MP3 players I've had experiences with.

Did you guys use an external amplifier?

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #30 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
That's so sad. How did you run over your PDA in a car? Tell.

I've heard PDAs have nice amps and clean sound many times before. If you can grab a microdrive from a DAP like a muvo2 or mini then you're rocking. It's just like having a Lifedrive (but without the ridiculous pricetag).

haha, I figured this would be asked soon.

well I was giving a friend a ride to his car. when we got there he got out of my car and opened the passenger-side rear door to get his backpack. my backpack was on top of his backpack, so he lays my backpack down on the ground (with the pda in it) right in front of my back wheels. as he was reaching for his backpack my car started moving accidentally (I was on a flat surface in neutral so I didn't think i needed a brake
rolleyes.gif
). long story short, my TI89 survived, my PDA now has a gash on the screen, and the right-lower part of the screen is all black when turned on.in addition to that damage, my MD33's were cracked, but I was able to fix those and they work fine now.

a sad sad story
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back