How annoyed am I?! (VERY!)
Oct 28, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #16 of 32
I can't believe that I left my DAP in my jacket while I wasn't there with it ... I never normally do - this must be the one time I've done it and I can't even imagine why I did it (which is kinda annoying cause then I think it's partly my fault for leaving it there - but then it's the fault of the annoying &$"&! who stole it)

What was rather annoying (especially for all my colleagues) was that the person that they were 99.9% sure did it was just allowed to walk out (and they had to stand there and watch while doing nothing - the manager did his usual trick when security is needed and walked off to sort something else out)

I guess overall it's a painful (for the price and the annoyance of being without my DAP!) lesson to learn but I guess if someone else hears the story and hikes up their personal security just enough so that it doesn't happen to them then it'll have had a point.

Oct 28, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
wait..why again did your friend just let the guy walk out?

It's company policy (apparently) that they don't stop shoplifters as they haven't commited a crime until they have walked out of the shop premises. Of course my argument would've been that picking someone's pocket is an immediate crime and you don't need them to walk out of the shop to know they've done it!

Quote:

Why didn't you go out there and wait for him in the parking lot, without your work uniform on?

By the time I knew that they'd still been in the shop they'd already got into their car (with their friends) and driven off. If I'd have known they were still in and that no one else was doing anything I'd have stopped them never mind having my uniform on

Quote:

Why did a customer come into the store in the middle of the night? (you said you work night shifts)

I work the night shift but the store is now open from 8am Monday morning to 10pm Saturday night right through so the customers are always there when I am (apart from tonight when I work as they leave as I start).

What irks me too is that we used to have security staff that didn't finish till about midnight... but they were all fired last year to cut down on staff costs! So now they have a few colleagues trained to deal with security during the day (basically show the CCTV footage to the police after the fact) while at night we don't even have anyone whose properly trained like that! We're just left to fend for ourselves (and the number of drunks we get in after the clubs kick out can be a bit intimidating at times)

Oct 28, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory
Well I don't really have the spare cash to get a new DAP (unless the house insurance is able to swing for a new one) but I'm not sure about going iAudio again. I love the X5L and everything but the line-out is naff and I have to admit that the new versions of the iPod do look impressive.

Plus I've never actually used (or even seen!) an iPod up close so it would be interesting to see what all the fuss is about.

Okay, but as a note of warning: you should listen to the iPod first. you may be sorely disappointed with its sound quality if you're used to the X5L's sound fidelity.

I went from an X5L to a Sansa E270 (which, based on random complaints, sounds at least equally as bad as the iPods.. but that's only what i've heard. i will try an iPod one of these days)... and man, I couldn't stand that player. I sold it within 2 weeks of purchasing it. Music sounded muffled and veiled, as if it were missing a layer.

It's funny that the top 2 DAPs on the market are the ones that i wouldn't even consider buying.

Oct 28, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #21 of 32
IMO going from an X5L to an IPOD is a downgrade in sound.
It majorly sucks that you knew it happened and nothing could be done about it.

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k

you and i think alike
biggrin.gif

but i probably sound like an idiot, because i haven't plugged my e4cs into an iPod.. i'm just basing it on what i've read from other users. i should have taken into notice the complaints of SQ with the sansa, but i didn't think it would be that much of a downgrade. my GV5 helped improve the sound on the sansa drastically, but it's still much better with my U3

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory
I can't believe that I left my DAP in my jacket while I wasn't there with it ... I never normally do - this must be the one time I've done it and I can't even imagine why I did it (which is kinda annoying cause then I think it's partly my fault for leaving it there - but then it's the fault of the annoying &$"&! who stole it)

Hey it's a combination of you leaving it under pressure (or distraction) and a thief that was either watching you or saw an opportunity. Bad timing. I get distracted all the time and, generally have a short term memory, so what I do a great deal is lock up my case, make sure I won't be long and that someone is usually nearby.

Let's see here...if someone is stealing from you, they are most likely stealing from the store as well, or even the store's patrons, an undesireable situation. If I were the manager, I would make sure my CCTV System is effective to discourage events like this, not just brush it off. If I may make a suggestion to your store manager, install a monitor and camera at each entrance that notifies you that you are on recorded (and possibly live viewed) video, as a "force multiplier." Obviously, there are other things that you can add to this CCTV system to make it more effective, like higher resolution cameras, but they probably won't consider it.

I would also try to "flush the thief out" in case they return by doing the same thing as before, but this time in front of a recorded camera, preferably toward the rear of the store. You'll never get your DAP back, but you'll be helping someone else...sorry this happened to you.

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
that sucks, but company policy shouldn't apply like you mentioned. This is your property not the stores.

On a related note, does this mean you can stick stuff into your pockets at supermarkets and they can't approach you because you're not shop lifting yet?

Exactly what I thought!!! Tough luck. The company policy is poor.

I'm sorry for your loss and next time, take better care of your precious gear!

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #25 of 32
First off sorry about the loss, but unfortunately in this day and age you can not trust anyone anywhere.

From my days working in supermarkets I remember there being lockers to store your personal effects. I take it they don't have them where you work?

Also be careful how far you go with this to your manager, sometimes managers take drastic measures to prevent further instances of problems. They can change the current policy and advise all employees "due to recent events that no employee is to bring in there own personal audio players".

It's unfortunate, but if you do not catch a thief in the act you will not get your property back. Chance are he won't even come back into the store (unless he's either really brave or really stupid)

Oct 29, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #26 of 32
Find where he lives, then stalk him until he gives it back. He will live in fear because he doesn't know what you have planned for revenge and when you will do it. The longer you stalk the better, eventually he will break. If done properly he will stop doing crimes.

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k

Well there's a couple of people now that have said it'd be a downgrade in sound quality (which is obviously not something that I want when I come to replace my X5L) so I think I'll have to do some serious reading up on the portable audio sub-forum and possibly ask some more points of view.

But I was under the impression that with a decent line out dock cable the iPod would be a good portable player (generally I would be using it with an external amp rather then the headphone out)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And as for revenge..... well the CCTV footage actually has got image(s) of the car that the guy (and his family/friends he was with) got into before driving off. Personally I'm not one for revenge and as annoyed as I am that my DAP has been taken I'm not as annoyed anymore as I was originally - it's an annoyance that I've lost my DAP and have to cope with a crappy old portable flash player that my mum has for music - but I've not lost any music as I have it all backed up and if I can get insurance money to cover it then I can replace the DAP.

The police have been called and I'm really hoping that justice will be done and this person/people are caught for what they have done - if they are willing to go through the pockets of a jacket that's left around then what else are they willing to take if the opportunity shows itself?

I think what really does still make me feel the anger is that due to having no security whatsoever, having no one whose even got any kind of security training and what is (I feel) a really dumb attitude to thieves means that nothing was done when it could've been. Or at least (after the fact) quickly contacting the police so that they could have got onto it immediately.

Well.. you live and learn (and I'm sure I'll be even more security concious now)

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
From my days working in supermarkets I remember there being lockers to store your personal effects. I take it they don't have them where you work?

Actually we have got lockers but me (and pretty much everyone else in the place) are quite loathed to use them for anything that would be considered important....

It was only the 2nd or 3rd week of working there when I found out how insecure the lockers actually are. I'd put my naff looking jacket in there at the end of my work shift (they look hideous and I wouldn't want to wear it on the way home) as well as the safety knife that we use to open boxes etc. When I came back in the following shift (about 3-4 days later) I found that both items had gone from my locker which didn't look like it'd been tampered with so whoever took the items had the spare key!!

I made a complaint about it and told about it to my manager and the security bloke (at that time we still had some security as it was before the company decided we were going to sack them all to save money) but nothing came of it - all I got was a new safety knife which I needed to do my work. It was another 6 months before I could even get a replacement jacket.

There are other people who've had other things taken out of their locker(s) and (amazingly) a lot of the time by "customers" who aren't even meant to be able to get anywhere near there - the security coded door sometimes just gets left open by some people and (a fair few times) it breaks and the lock won't work. All in all our lockers are no longer used for anything that's actually worth anything - we'd all rather take it with us onto the shop floor so that it's closer to us.

Oct 29, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #30 of 32
Well I've now been able to test out an iPod (5G 60Gb version) and I'm impressed at how it sounds. To me (and my memory) it actually sounds like the headphone out has slightly more bass then the headphone out from the X5 (and I did check that there was no EQ turned on) It is my mates iPod and I just wanted to have a look to see whether I could get to grips with the control system easily having never used the click wheel before. I think I read somewhere that it's possible to add in EQ from iTunes before importing the music over (dunno whether it's true as I don't use iTunes either) but maybe that's what making the bass sound like it has more of it then the X5.

Anyway this isn't meant to be a comparison (maybe I'll do that later ...) but I think this is something that I could get to grips with and quite like. If the line out is as clean and easily obtained as everyone around here seems to suggest (especially with something like the Cryo Dock) then I think I could be swinging for one to be able to hook up my PA2V2 to (and if I'm in the spending mood then why not a Hornet while I'm at it too!! lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back