How annoyed am I?! (VERY!)
Oct 28, 2006 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

m_memmory

1000+ Head-Fier
So how about this for an absolutely dreadful start to a day at work? (well actually a night as I work night shifts)

I work in my local supermarket and, thanks to our boss, we are allowed to wear our ear phones and listen to our MP3 players for most of the night as long as we keep an eye out for any customer who wants any assistance (I work in a 24 hour a day store so we're always open)

Work started at 10pm so I walked in and left my hideous work jacket on the aisle I would be working on with my iAudio X5L safely in the pocket and zipped up. I leave the jacket on the top of one of the shelves far out of the way so that it's not in the way for any of the customers. Then I headed into the warehouse where we all meet up for our team brief for the night.

I wasn't off the shop floor for more then 3-4 mins when one of my colleagues came in to tell us some scary news - one of the customers had noticed a bloke going through the pockets of someone's jacket on one of the aisles and had been told off. I went back onto the shop floor to find that my jacket had had the pockets opened and that my DAP was missing.
eek.gif

I immediately told my manager(s) - we have 3 in most nights - and my best mate went looking for the person who'd been seen going through the pockets of the other jacket. The manager checked the CCTV footage from the store and found out that no camera was pointed at the aisle I'd been working on at the time so we had no proof that it was definitely the same guy. So (due in part to the company policy on things like this) my best mate had to stand at the door and let the guy just walk out knowing (pretty much) that this was the guy who'd swiped my DAP.
mad.gif

And what are the supermarket going to do about me having my MP3 player taken? Nothing!! They didn't even phone the police or anything. I had to wait until I got back from work to contact them and file a report about it. Although the CCTV footage might be able to show them who they are looking for I'm not holding out much hope of seeing my player again.

So now I have no DAP and I have to face the prospect of working without any music to distract me from the dreadful radio station that we have piped in. Not to mention that, to have portable music again, I'm going to have to fork out cash on a new player (money that I don't have!)
frown.gif

Rant over ... (for now at least)

Oct 28, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme
sucks, the X5L is pretty expensive too... but hey, at least you get a new DAP.

do you plan on going with iAudio again? iAudio SQ is so superior, it's not even funny.

Well I don't really have the spare cash to get a new DAP (unless the house insurance is able to swing for a new one) but I'm not sure about going iAudio again. I love the X5L and everything but the line-out is naff and I have to admit that the new versions of the iPod do look impressive.

Plus I've never actually used (or even seen!) an iPod up close so it would be interesting to see what all the fuss is about.

Oct 28, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 32
Don't even think about using insurance to cover for such a small value, you will end up paying more through fees. Also, i agree iAudio line-out SUX i previously had a 40GB M3 which i sold. Now using an ancient minidisc (MZ-R37) found for $42 on ebay this thing is the reduced cost version of the MZ-R50 but the internal part are the same. oh yeah, the line out is amazing, if you can't afford something new you may want to try getting one. only problem is minidisc recording can be annoying.

Oct 28, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by clc220
Don't even think about using insurance to cover for such a small value, you will end up paying more through fees. Also, i agree iAudio line-out SUX i previously had a 40GB M3 which i sold. Now using an ancient minidisc (MZ-R37) found for $42 on ebay this thing is the reduced cost version of the MZ-R50 but the internal part are the same. oh yeah, the line out is amazing, if you can't afford something new you may want to try getting one. only problem is minidisc recording can be annoying.

Well I still live with my parents and so it's not actually me who directly pays for the insurance (plus my dad used to be an insurance agent so if it was going to negatively impact our premiums then he'd know all about that)

Getting something older/second hand off of eBay might be what I need to keep me going ... guess a Christmas present this year could well be a new DAP

Oct 28, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 32
As a manager at a grocery store I would have..

I would of told you "sorry about your loss, truely as a headfi'er I am. but your here to do a job and get paid for it..so do the job cause rite now you are being paid!"

I have seen some very skilled punks swiping some stuff in my store, I am not surpised some one went thru your jacket but more surpised you left your dap on a public store shelf.

Of course I have given out ksc75's to the part timers under me so atleast they arent using Ibuds, and I will never tell anyone on my shift they cant listen to headphones, only to make sure the customers dont see so I dont hear them complain.

when I am not running the store and I am working in back I bring my ipod,hornet,Sensa's and the gear stays clipped on from the time I walk in to the time I walk out. I once borrowed my friend a set of 225's and had them around my neck the whole time at work cause I dont trust no body that much! woking 10+ years in different stores and being a manager at one of the biggest and busiest stores in chicago I am not surpised this happened, saddened for you alittle but thinking you should of never placed such an item alone on a shelf like that even for a second. I won't even place my coffee on the shelfs cause I really seen some messed up stuff from the public/customers.

live and learn, seems like your managers were pretty cool with it and thats good to work with people like that. now get some Sensa's and truely take "stocking shelves" into new heights..lol

Oct 28, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 32
You shouldn't have left it on a shelf. IMHO it wasn't far out of the way enough if it was within eyesight and reach.

Lesson learned. I too have had things stolen from me and it sucks!!... in ALL cases it could have been avoided had I locked the item up, taken it with me or (in the case of my car break-ins) stashed it FAR out of eyesight / reach.

Oct 28, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #15 of 32
wait..why again did your friend just let the guy walk out? Why didn't you go out there and wait for him in the parking lot, without your work uniform on? Why did a customer come into the store in the middle of the night? (you said you work night shifts)

bhd812-
Personally, I would tell my boss I was taking an early 15 minute coffee break, go out there and confront the guy with a bat. If the manager said get back to work, meaning he cares more abut 15 minutes of labor rather than his manager-employee relationship, my expensive MP3 player, and that I had just been a victim of theft, I would tell him exactly where to sticl his supermarket dime-a-dozen job. What if someone found out their car was being broken into while they were on the job? Would you tell them sorry, you can go check on it after work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back