How and Why to Convert Headphone Sensitivity to Make a Rough Estimate of Headphones' Driving Difficulty
Apr 15, 2024 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sha1rholder

New Head-Fier
Recently, I've noticed people in our group chat often miscalculating sensitivity, and I can't find any reliable methods or derivations for sensitivity conversion online (the first few results on Baidu are misleading). So I decided to write this article... BTW, I'm Chinese. Please forgive my poor English since it's not my native language.
ddd.gif

The driving difficulty of a pair of headphones, i.e., how "easy or hard it is to drive," can usually be preliminarily judged based on its sensitivity and impedance. Sensitivity is divided into voltage sensitivity (dB/Vrms) and power sensitivity (dB/mW).
sss.jpg

Some hifi manufacturers use dB/Vrms, while others use dB/mW (if only dB is written, it's usually dB/mW), which can be confusing. We need to convert both types of sensitivity into the same unit for comparison. For low-impedance headphones, like most planar magnetic headphones, we typically use dB/mW. For high-impedance headphones, such as traditional dynamic headphones, we usually use dB/Vrms. Impedance directly affects the ability of amp to power the headphones. This is a little complex and will be discussed later.
push.jpg

For typical headphones, if any two parameters amone voltage sensitivity, power sensitivity, and impedance are known, the third can be estimated. The following is a rigorous derivation process. If you only want the conclusion, please look at the beginning.

Sensitivity Calculation Formula

Suppose the voltage sensitivity of a pair of headphones is $S_{Vrms}$, the power sensitivity is $S_{mW}$, and the impedance is R. They usually satisfy the following relationship:

1713172396924.png

Background Knowledge

Most constant impedance headphones (including dynamic, planar magnetic, and electrostatic headphones) have a direct proportionality between sound pressure (Pa) and equivalent voltage (Vrms), which we call the proportional relationship between sound pressure and equivalent voltage.
1713172285563.png

Where I is the sound pressure level, measured in decibels (dBSPL, abbreviated as dB); P is the sound pressure, measured in pascals (Pa); P0 is the reference sound pressure, set at 0.00002 Pa; S is the sensitivity, i.e., the loudness of the headphones at 1 Vrms or 1 mW, expressed in dB/Vrms or dB/mW.

Derivation Process

1713172741067.png

1713172761461.png

Evaluate Fiio FT5 as a Verification

Let's take the FiiO FT5 as an example (because its official website lists both types of sensitivity and impedance).
ft5sen.png

According to the official data, the impedance of the FT5 is 32 Ω, and the voltage sensitivity is 110 dB/Vrms. According to our formula, its power sensitivity should be:
1713173024505.png

The official mark of FT5's power sensitivity is 96 dB/mW. Considering that decibels are logarithmic units with relatively low precision, our prediction can be considered consistent with the result.

Evaluate Moondrop Cosmo as an Example

Let's use the new flagship over-ear of Moondrop, Cosmo, as an example for a practical demonstration: "How to evaluate the driving difficulty of
a planar magnetic headphone
cosmoooo.jpg

1713173313356.png

This is part of a promotional image of the Cosmo. It mentions that its sensitivity is 100 dB/Vrms and the impedance is about 15 Ω. For such low-impedance, low-sensitivity headphones, dB/Vrms sensitivity is not an ideal indicator. To judge how hard it is to drive, we need to calculate its dB/mW sensitivity.

The result is: Sensitivity (in dB/mW) = 100 + 10 * lg15 - 30 = 81.8 dB/mW

One of the hardest-to-drive hi-end planar headphones in the world, Susvara, has a nominal sensitivity of 83 dB/mW. The entry-level planar headphone he400se, which audiophiles generally consider hard to drive, has a nominal sensitivity of 91 dB/mW. So obviously, the Cosmo has nothing to do with "high sensitivity, for easy driving" written in its promotional image.

a fun fact:
chik.jpg

A Moondrop technician replied to my question about this promotional image: "We'll find out which employee made this and dock his pay." (just a joke, I guess😂)

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 5
Your English is quite good. :thumbsup:

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 5
Final conclusion is that it is as hard to drive as Susvara. :smile:

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 5
Perhaps not, if we consider the effective sensitivity of the headphones, as measured by this RAA measurement site.

Quote: "
Yet the COSMO's sensitivity is officially 100 dB/Vrms - Impedance (flat) 15 Ohm, i.e. 82 dB/mW (@1 KHz), which isn't very much indeed.
For comparison, the sensitivity of the VENUS is officially also 100 dB/Vrms - Impedance (flat) 18 Ohm, i.e. 82.5 dB/mW (@1 KHz),
So you need a powerful desktop amplifier (at least 1 Watt), refined if possible, to get the most out of these Moondrop headphones, which are rather (very?) demanding in terms of amplification.

In my experience, with the VENUS, my VIVA 2A3 amplifier (2 x 3 Watt
(on 32 Ohm), and I imagine 2 x 1.5 Watt on 15-18 Ohm) does the job, rather well for what I hear from it with the VENUS (and soon the COSMO).

I mentioned the official sensitivity of the COSMO and VENUS at @1 KHz (see figures above), but the effective sensitivity of the VENUS, measured between 100 Hz and 10 KHz on the RAA measurement site, is much better: 106 dB/Vrms; nearly 89 dB/mW SPL - average impedance 17.7 Ohm.
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/moondrop-venus.php#gsc.tab=0
For comparison, the effective sensitivity of the Kennerton Thror (which I also own) is 109 dB/Vrms.
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/kennerton-thror.php#gsc.tab=0
For comparison, the effective sensitivity of the Hifiman Susvara (which I don't own) is only 95 dB/Vrms; nearly 83 dB/mW SPL - average impedance 61.8 Ohm.
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/hifiman-susvara.php#gsc.tab=0

Listening to these two headphones (Kennerton Thror and Moondrop VENUS) on my VIVA 2A3 amplifier; the VIVA 2A3 tube amp has no difficulties driving these two headphones ; the position of the amp's volume knob always remains < 12 o'clock, with the VENUS ; it's usually between 9 and 10 o'clock; there's a difference in SPL between the VENUS and the Thror of around 3 dB, in favor of the Thror.

Source: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...nar-new-flagship.970569/page-22#post-18070892

Here for the Moondrop VENUS, with almost the same official sensitivity as the Moondrop COSMO, we can see that the effective sensitivity of the VENUS (and I assume that of the COSMO too) is much better than that of the Hifiman SUSVARA.

As proof of this, the Viva 2A3 tube amplifier (2 x 3 W on 32 Ohm) drives the VENUS very well (and very probably also the COSMO with almost the same official sensitivity as the VENUS), whereas it is not powerful enough to drive the SUSVARA correctly; you need to use a VIVA 845 amplifier (2 x 15 W on 32 Ohm) to drive the SUSVARA correctly.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 5
Perhaps not, if we consider the effective sensitivity of the headphones, as measured by this RAA measurement site.

Quote: "
Yet the COSMO's sensitivity is officially 100 dB/Vrms - Impedance (flat) 15 Ohm, i.e. 82 dB/mW (@1 KHz), which isn't very much indeed.
For comparison, the sensitivity of the VENUS is officially also 100 dB/Vrms - Impedance (flat) 18 Ohm, i.e. 82.5 dB/mW (@1 KHz),
So you need a powerful desktop amplifier (at least 1 Watt), refined if possible, to get the most out of these Moondrop headphones, which are rather (very?) demanding in terms of amplification.

In my experience, with the VENUS, my VIVA 2A3 amplifier (2 x 3 Watt
(on 32 Ohm), and I imagine 2 x 1.5 Watt on 15-18 Ohm) does the job, rather well for what I hear from it with the VENUS (and soon the COSMO).

I mentioned the official sensitivity of the COSMO and VENUS at @1 KHz (see figures above), but the effective sensitivity of the VENUS, measured between 100 Hz and 10 KHz on the RAA measurement site, is much better: 106 dB/Vrms; nearly 89 dB/mW SPL - average impedance 17.7 Ohm.
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/moondrop-venus.php#gsc.tab=0
For comparison, the effective sensitivity of the Kennerton Thror (which I also own) is 109 dB/Vrms.
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/kennerton-thror.php#gsc.tab=0
For comparison, the effective sensitivity of the Hifiman Susvara (which I don't own) is only 95 dB/Vrms; nearly 83 dB/mW SPL - average impedance 61.8 Ohm.
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/hifiman-susvara.php#gsc.tab=0

Listening to these two headphones (Kennerton Thror and Moondrop VENUS) on my VIVA 2A3 amplifier, the VIVA 2A3 tube amp has no difficulties driving these two headphones ; the position of the amp's volume knob always remains < 12 o'clock, with the VENUS ; it's usually between 9 and 10 o'clock; there's a difference in SPL between the VENUS and the Thror of around 3 dB, in favor of the Thror.

Source: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...nar-new-flagship.970569/page-22#post-18070892

Here for the Moondrop VENUS, with almost the same official sensitivity as the Moondrop COSMO, we can see that the effective sensitivity of the VENUS (and I assume that of the COSMO too) is much better than that of the Hifiman SUSVARA.

As proof of this, the Viva 2A3 tube amplifier (2 x 3 W on 32 Ohm) drives the VENUS very well (and very probably also the COSMO with almost the same official sensitivity as the VENUS), whereas it is not powerful enough to drive the SUSVARA correctly; you need to use a VIVA 845 amplifier (2 x 15 W on 32 Ohm) to drive the SUSVARA correctly.
You are right. The parameters I mentioned can only be used to roughly predict how much should be spent on amp to drive the headphone, but the fact is much more complicated. I find my article may be misleading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back