How about this powercord upgrade?
Nov 3, 2004 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
I currently have an Acoustic Zen Tsunami Plus plugged into my Musical Fidelity a308cr CDP which I have loved for a long time, however. Ever since incorporating Grover and Wolffs' Empress' into my system, I have been extreemly curious about their offerings and am thinking of moving to one of Wolff's carbon source power cords.

They sell for about $350 used, and I'm wondering if it would make sense to sell my current Tsunami as well as the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet my integrated amplifier and phono stage are plugged into to fund the 'better' pc for my source.

My Unico would then, utilizing a VD Power 3, be plugged dirrectly into my wall, and my phonostage would goto the analog side of a Monster PC-1000.

What do you guys think? Does this make sense?

Nov 3, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 14
Wolff carbon source owns you. You won't be dissapointed. It made my system sound more palpable and real.

So yes, do go buy one.
wink.gif

Biggie.

Nov 3, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Wolff carbon source owns you. You won't be dissapointed. It made my system sound more palpable and real.

So yes, do go buy one.
wink.gif

Biggie.

That will have to be the next thing you send for me to audition. I promise I'll send it back...
tongue.gif

Nov 4, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 14
Don't want to damage your wallet but

I had AZ Tsunami cord long ago......but have gone through several upgrade cycles since then. I can tell you from experience that the VD Nite AC cord is a big step up especially if used on CDP which usually yeilds biggest gain from AC cord upgrade. Nite costs $400 used at Audiogon and must be bent to shape like big pipe cleaner. (Hirsch has collection of VD Nite & Master series cables and has some impressions posted here)

Not sure if that MF CDP you have uses choke regulation power supply like some other MF gear, but I noticed that AC cord improved sound only about 50% as much as gear with no choke........I still use cords with choke gear.

Also I am not too hot on the PS Audio ultimate outlet, I had one long ago but felt it restricted sound in my system.........surge protection is very useful feature.

Also the VD Nite destroys the VD Power 3, night and day difference......I would sell the Power 3 myself your system needs much better.

I would love to try a used Wolff source AC cord but am busy with Empress cables right now.........used price is close to sane price for use with $2,000 CDP

Nov 4, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 14
I went ahead and secured the Wolff souce cord on agon and will hopefully be enjoying it in the very near future.

DA,

I'm not sure if it is a choke regulated cdp or not, but feel it deserves something a little better either way. Replacing the Power 3 isn't a real priority at the moment as I have a string of upgrades to perform first. Empress speaker cable (I think I'm going to bite in the next week or so), then tubed seperates, then a power conditioning upgrade and then perhaps new power cords for amps. Ohh, and when I get a bigger place I want floorstanders.

Do you think my proposed prioritization of upgrades is a good one?

Nov 4, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #8 of 14
I am really wishing I stayed away from this part of the forum...

can't wait to hear your thoughts, Gopher
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 14
Welp... the Tsunami and Ultimate Outlet sold within a half an hour on audiogon and I'm locked in to the purchase of the wolff pc.

To restate w/ clarity what changes are taking place:

My Musical Fidelity A308cr is getting a Wolff Source PC where an AZ tsunami used to be

My Unison Unico is wearing a VD Power 3 PC which will now plug directly into hospital grade outlet.

My Dynavector P-75 will now plug into a Monster PC1000 (for lack of sockets).

Hopefully this will prove a worthwhile upgrade... next is speaker cables then seperates.

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 14
Wolff carbon source owns me....

I recieved the cable yesterday--its freaking amazing! Sound on my MuFI a308cr has improved in almost EVERY POSSIBLE WAY!

Amazing.

Nov 18, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #11 of 14
Hehe I had the same feeling when I got my cord back in June. I couldn't bring myself to take it out of my system for an A/B test lol.

Biggie.

Nov 18, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
Wolff carbon source owns me....

I recieved the cable yesterday--its freaking amazing! Sound on my MuFI a308cr has improved in almost EVERY POSSIBLE WAY!

Amazing.

Surely you didn't except to get away with one line review........we need to know more details how did Wolff cord improve sound over AZ Tsunami?
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #14 of 14
DA,

I've been cheaping out on posts due to lack of time as of late (first semester of 1L year comming to an end and finals/lrw memo = red headed step child). In a nutshell, dynamics improved very dramatically, layer of grunge removed from midrange (also seems to have a bit more body), bass performance is tighter and more texture, top end extension is very noticably superior as is air. Imaging focus is greater, soundstage feels larger and I feel resolution is superior.

It's f-ing amazing. As big an improvement IMO as moving to the Empress interconnects from SR IIs.

These opinions are in comparision to a stock power cords--I haven't had the Tsunami plus in too long to comment directly, but going from memory this trounces the acoustic zen in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back