How about these?
Aug 14, 2006 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mudihan

100+ Head-Fier
Aug 14, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 10
Does anyone know if this is true?!? If you could get the equivalent of the DT531 for ~$36 that really would be a steal. The MB Quart website doesn't seem to have any info on the QP55X's and the retailer site doesn't show any specs that could be compared to the 531's.

Aug 14, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 10
These look interesting.... anyone want to take one for the team?
MBQP220-L.jpg

rs1smile.gif
600smile.gif
580smile.gif

Aug 14, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

Honestly, the cheap grados website seemed a lot less risky...
tongue.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Aug 14, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 10
Aug 15, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 10
Seems the German's love to share.

Aug 15, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 10
Didn't click on any of the 2ch links. not in the mood for any site that's gonna ask whether I'm 18 at the moment...

Never seen someone post like 'tom', either... cool na headphones...
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 10
Well, I am still quite intrigued by these. I am in no position to buy these right now, but surely someone is curious enough to give them a try. I mean, these could be the next, best deal ever.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

I just remembered this old thread today, which reminded me that I forgot to tell you all that I DID take one for the team. I picked up an MB QP55x.

If you followed the "ID these?" thread that was around a while ago, you may know that I have a pair of PMB100 orthodynamics with the Jecklin housing, which I am glad to say sound much better now than I first mention in that thread. Really great, interesting headphones. Also impossible to find. The 55x, however, are relatively findable.

A few quick answers to questions mentioned here: MB's are NOT Beyers, and don't let TorridEar (MB's Willi Pressutti) hear you say they are. They are near one another and used to be in close competition, which MB actually used to win, depending on who you ask.

Also, once you get some QP 55x in hand (which have been refreshed as the QP240), you see they aren't Beyers at all. For starters, the earcups are suspended at the sides by five elastics mounted in a ring attached to the headband. Kooky sounding, yes, but remarkably comfortable and it cuts down on a lot of microphonics and frame noise. Coiled cord, though.

The 55x generally have a sound similar to an SR-60, very punchy and engaging. They have more bass presence than the Grados but don't resolve the highs quite as well IMO. They also have soundstage. They're like slightly less-resolving SR-60's in a circumaural form. Nice soft fabric earpads too, and I've seen some come with velvet pads.

Generally they're not too bad, but I've hardly heard them, as I also grabbed a QP 95, now refreshed as the QP400. There are a couple of threads on those around here somewhere-- a flawed headphone in a way that the 55x isn't, but operating on an entirely higher level. Yet the 55x is a great deal at 37 bucks, maybe not as great as a Koss A130, but still. I'll try listening to them a bit more, and report back if I hear anything different than I'm remembering right now.

edit: on further listening, I'd have to say I might well take the MB over the Grado. There is very little that an SR-60 can do that these can't handle. I don't even think they lose any ground in resolution. Once again, pretty close presentation and SQ, but with soundstage, comfort, durability, and price, the MB's win.

-FV

Sep 30, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 10
by the way, the specs:

2x100 ohm, 10-22k hz

edit, a postscript to Mektarus' comments above: these don't quite match my DT531, but they are competitive with my K240 and K260, and probably trump my SR-60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back