How about separating some of the forums
Oct 9, 2014 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JK1

Headphoneus Supremus
Instead of having one forum for portable headphones and IEMs, how about separating this into 4 forums, 
one for IEMs under $150, one for IEMS over $150, one for portable headphones under $150, and one for
portable headphones over $150. 

It seems very awkward having a thread discussing a $20 IEM right next to one discussing IEMs over $500. 
It also seems awkward Having threads discussing IEMs right next to those discussing headphones.
People tend to want either an IEM or headphone. There are very few threads where someone says they
want a sound solution, and don't care if it is a headphone or an IEM.

Perhaps instead of having $150 as the separator, perhaps $100, $125 or some other amount could be 
the separator?

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 7
JK1: I see why you have this idea, but unfortunately given the different prices for products all over the world, including how the price fluctuates depending on sale prices and whatnot, what you suggest would essentially be unmanageable.

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #4 of 7
I think it would still work decently, although items close in price to the cutoff might deserve to be in either forum or in both. 
Some might argue a $200 cutoff would be better than a $100, $125, or $150 one.

Separating IEMs from headphones wouldn't involve the pricing issue though.

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 7
The question would be then: Do we separate it on RRP? Do we separate it on street price? Then what site do we use to decide the "street price"? What if the items are cheaper or more expensive in Europe? What happens if the price changes, such as a big drop in the street price after a new model comes out? 

Even before we consider that, what might be more useful is if there were some way to list products in the Head Gear section by price, but then that comes with exactly the same problems.

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 7
Pricing is always an issue when referring to an item. Many websites that have more users in the US than in any other country tend 
to use the price on Amazon US site as the reference price. Of course prices on Amazon do change, so even doing this does
not make the selection that precise. In general though, those who are looking for something close to the cutoff price would
want to look in both forums anyway. That is why having a single cutoff based on price does seem to me to be practical enough.

As for what price is mentioned, it is a sticking point with me that many reviews on the net compare items based on their
list price and not on their Amazon price. They will compare a headphone with a list price of $200 that actually sells on
Amazon for very close to $200 with another that has a list price of $200 but that might be under $100 on Amazon. 
This seems to me to be a very unfair comparison.

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 7
I don't like the idea of splitting any subforums by price. This includes the Summit-Fi subforum. It just promotes elitism and impedes the spread of information. There's plenty of space in one subforum for all related discussion.

I don't mind the idea of splitting portable headphones and IEMs as much, as the two do address different needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back