How about a pic of your stereo/home theater rig?
Sep 13, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #181 of 207
Crappy picture but I'm no photographer....

HomeTheater.jpg

Oct 10, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #182 of 207
I re-arranged my room. Things are a whole lot more symmetrical. I added a bunch of half-assed bass traps and tweaks galore. You can see in the upper corners I have eight nerve corners installed. Somehow, I can't figure out if they do anything at all. That one is very iffy. Fiberglass panels front and center behind my speakers. There's a third panel that straddles the rear left corner of my room and acts as a pseudo bass trap there, just barely. I have a stack of cut of rigid fiberglass in the front right corner which is a pseudo 1/3 height bass trap. I have another bag of regular fiberglass stuffed into the rear right corner to form another 1/3 height bass trap. One day, I'll complete the stacks and get them to full height, full strength
wink.gif
My bed, sheets, comforter etc are in the front left corner so hopefully that will provide just a tad of bass absorbing affect as well
tongue.gif

I have some assymtrical parts of my room that aren't shown but part of one is stuffed with clothes. I have a window on the left wall that is covered with very light drapes. There is a mirror to the far right.

The interesting thing is that since I moved everything into this configuration, my slap echo and reverb that I usually get from the clap test are all but gone. My speakers are very close to symmetrical width-wise, off by a few inches, but my room isn't 100% symmetrical in the first place, so I'm not all that concerned. Rear of the speakers are now about 2 feet from the rear wall. I'm still not getting that 40ft deep soundstage that some people say they get
tongue.gif

setup.jpg

Oct 10, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #184 of 207
It's not that expensive if you do it all DIY
smily_headphones1.gif
Buy it retail and the panels will be more effective, look better, perform better, but will cost you like $250 each
frown.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #185 of 207
damn ooheadsoo... that's pretty impressive. i like.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I'm still not getting that 40ft deep soundstage that some people say they get

actually.... i think adding treatments reduces this so called soundstage. treatments take away reverberations and distortions............ but that is also what gives 3d information. you're trading accuracy for pleasure. you can try replacing some of the absorbers with diffusers, and that might add a little depth to the sound, and keep it from sounding too dry. add some diffusers in the back and on the ceiling too if you can.

Oct 11, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #186 of 207
I think the idea is for the listener to hear the reverb information etc contained within the signal coming directly from the speaker, not after it's been bounced around the room a few times. It could be worth a shot though. On the other hand, I've got book shelves and messy rows and stacks of books and cds that count as semi diffusors
wink.gif
I'll try to treat the ceiling first reflection point soon but I've gotta figure out how to mount something up there safely. I also have several cellos, violas, and violins scattered about the room right now. Think they might act as hemholtz resonators?
wink.gif
J/k.

I added two bags of fiberglass to my room today. Will probably add a few more over the coming 6 mo. or so. I've got to find a way to make them discreet though.

Oct 11, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #187 of 207
here it is. the speakers are FAB Audio Model Ones and people at the meet will hear them. I sold off my Teac VRDS-25x because I concluded sources are either all the same or close enough that I don't care. My amp is the ASL 1003DT, heavily modded and my new toy is there in its box, the Behringer EQ, which lets me have my system agressive, mellow, wide, focused...

speakerswide.jpg

speakersfront.jpg

backspeaker.jpg

Oct 12, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #188 of 207
Let's see it, tomek
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #192 of 207
you gotta love it when you have profiles like
"Occupation:
Grade 3 teacher"

and

"Tweaks:
My big blue bong"

together..... lol

i'm gonna guess by the size of the TV that Tomek is a girl, because guys are usually way more visual than that

Oct 12, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #193 of 207
I think that's tomek's gf in the picture
tongue.gif

Hey tomek, what's that beige slab on your front wall made of?

Very nice decor and speakers
biggrin.gif
Very minimalist, very modern, with a touch of retro art deco with the blocky speaker cabs. Great!

Oct 12, 2004 at 11:17 AM Post #194 of 207
hey gang, thanks for the compliments.

that slab isn't really a slab, it's a 100inch screen i made for my LCD projector using Dazian fabric. that should also silence the idea that i'm a girl.
wink.gif

i don't watch cable programming often so I don't mind a small tv, but I do like a massive picture and sound for movies. i don't need dr phil's head to be the size of a beach ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back