How about a pic of your stereo/home theater rig?
Aug 2, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #151 of 207
Ah, I wouldn't mind having that tv
smily_headphones1.gif
New house? Looks even better than the tv from what I can see
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #154 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Ah, I wouldn't mind having that tv
smily_headphones1.gif
New house? Looks even better than the tv from what I can see
biggrin.gif

The house is relatively new (9 years old), but we just finished off our basement, so that's why it looks new

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
How are the primus speakers?

They're great so far, but seeing as they're only 3 days old, they're not broken in yet, but I'll post about them in more detail when they are
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #155 of 207
That's some nicely bookmatched veneer, Turing. What is it? Mind telling us about your speaker's design?

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #156 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
That's some nicely bookmatched veneer, Turing. What is it? Mind telling us about your speaker's design?

Sure.

I built these with my dad a few years ago (he has since gone on to make four or five more pairs of varying designs (one with 1" MDF walls!), these were kind of the prototypes)

The cabinets are made of 1/2" MDF with quilted makore veneer bookmatched on the front, top and sides (couldn't get large enough prices to cover without bookmatching, and I fell in love with the wood). The cabinets are internally divided into two separate spaces with the woofer's space having an 'X' shaped crossbrace in the middle of it. The cabinets are stuffed with cotton batting. The edges on the front have a mahogany inlay that has been routered to 45

The drivers came from a place called Q-Components (highly recomended for all you canadians, they are very helpful). They are middle of the road drivers. The tweeter is a Pioneer 1" titanium dome (they don't sell the model I bought any more, but the equivalent is FDDE59-51F). The woofer is a pretty standard Pioneer 8" (can't recall the exact type).

The crossovers are custom made using standard parts (nothing too exotic).

I think the whole project cost me about 300 all included. Someone who knows tested them out and said they sound like speakers that would cost 10x that.

Eventually I'll replace the drivers and maybe the crossovers with something more high end, but my system will have to improve before I do something like that. One thing I might do sooner then later is replace the spring loaded terminals on the back (they just grab the bare wire) with something better.

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #157 of 207
I wish I had the skills and patience to veneer. That's a very nice looking speaker you made.

Aug 3, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #158 of 207
just recently moved into my own apartment, here ya go, pics:

hometheater1.jpg

hometheater2.jpg

hometheater3.jpg

hometheater4.jpg

hometheater5.jpg

workstation1.jpg

workstation2.jpg
jolida302b.jpg

home theater:
Panasonic 27" HDTV
Toshiba 3950 DVD Player
Panasonic XR25s Receiver
DH Labs Digital Cable
Shuttle-based HTPC
Fluance SX-HTB 5-speaker set

workstation stereo:
Von Schweikert VR-1s
B&W ASW300 Subwoofer
Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable
DIY Silver IC's
Jolida 302B Integrated Amp
Audigy2 ZX + Terratec EWX 2496

...with all this...my poor cd3k's are in its box in a drawer
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #159 of 207
That looks like a great setup, soupy. Btw, is there any way you can get HT setup to fit into your room conventionally? According to all the acoustics articles I've read, placing your front speakers centered along the shorter wall is the best for dealing with basic reflection issues etc. It might be worth considering if it's not too much of a hassle.

Aug 3, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #160 of 207
Quote:

According to all the acoustics articles I've read, placing your front speakers centered along the shorter wall is the best for dealing with basic reflection issues etc. It might be worth considering if it's not too much of a hassle.

I've definitely considered this, but it's a studio apartment with very minimal space (my bed is RIGHT next to my desk) and had I centered everything to the shorter wall, my office chair would be tipping over rears or there would be almost NO space between the couch and the tv. Acoustically it's been perfectly fine I think. The bass seems to be reflecting around, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem. In fact, I've moved my sub to my stereo rig cuz of it
blink.gif

Aug 10, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #161 of 207
Here's my ghetto ugly system with bad paint job.

system.jpg

Speakers are diy mbow1 designed by Dennis Murphy, and they are some sweet sounding speakers. Cost me a lot more than I expected though. My craptacular paint job cost me $75 and about 15-20 hours of labor even though it ended up looking unbelievably bad. I need to sand it all down, coat the whole thing with bondo and go to town sanding. I think it would take me 4 days of sanding to get it down to pro quality. Next time I'm buying a veneered cabinet!! I will post more impressions on how they sound after I finalize my system. I'm going to need to sell parts of my system off because these speakers cost me more than I expected and tuition is coming up fast. I probably only have 20 minutes on the drivers too, so some break in is in order, I guess.

Sep 7, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #162 of 207
I already posted a pic of my computer rig.....now here is my mastering rig. That's my daughter listening to some Yo-Yo Ma. She's a little too short to sit in the sweet spot, but at least she centered herself between the speakers!

IMG_1922.jpg

Sep 7, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #163 of 207
Wow....nice rigs guys. I will start building my home theather rig very soon. I already have an excellent source, DVD player, so I need a good reciever and speaker.

Sep 7, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #164 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
Wow....nice rigs guys. I will start building my home theather rig very soon. I already have an excellent source, DVD player, so I need a good reciever and speaker.

Hi Purk, look in to separates instead of the receiver way. Outlaw audio has some great promotions on their highly regarded 950 preamp/surround decoder and 7100 7 channel amp. www.outlawaudio.com

Sep 7, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #165 of 207
dariusf,

Thanks for the advice. The outlaw looks great but since I am still living in apartment and probably won't be owning home for 2 or 3 years to come, a good reciever might fit me the best. I can't really crank up the volume in my living room b/c I'm afraid of disturbing my neighbor that's why I'm a big fan of headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back