"house sounds"
Jan 11, 2006 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Miller-8

100+ Head-Fier
ok, most people are familiar with Grado being up front and pacey with good timing, and Sennheiser being more relaxed with good tonality.

But what about other makes? What are AKG like for example? And others?

Jan 11, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 5
Except for Grado, 'house sounds' usually cover only a small or medium range of headphones in a manufacturer's lineup.

AKG (typified by the K501) -- light on bass, great coherency, amazing midrange, grain-free/smooth treble.

Koss (most) -- BIG BASS

Jan 11, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Audio Technica seems to have a good presence of treble (leading many to say they are very "detailed"), full and deep bass, and mildly recessed (but not at all deficient) midrange throughout the lineup of closed headphones.

Jan 11, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 5
The wood-series Audio Technica house sound is a medium sized soundstage (between Grado and Sennheiser), good imaging, and a forward midrange, leading to a very intimate presentation. There is no pattern with regards to overall requency balance: the L3000 is slightly dark with a ton of bass, the W2002 is more neutralish/analytical with a lot less bass, the W5000 is a little bright with even less bass (at least with the stock fit on my head).

AKG I can't figure out - between the K1000, K340, K271s, and K401, I found almost NOTHING in common between the first three. The K271s and K401 sort of shared a dry, analytical sound that was lacking bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back