House Curve Question
Feb 24, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #16 of 23
I think I got it, but you jump from headphone to speakers sometimes without a really clear indication that it's happening. It doesn't help clarity, and I'm not sure everybody will know what you're talking about at all time.
My answer to what you like on speakers with high freqs is that IDK. IDK how you measure/estimate the FR or where, IDK what your room is doing to the sound, IDK what your taste and personal listening habits are (what gears, music, how loud...). A roll off is well accepted and quite normal. Beyond that... IDK.

Feb 24, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #17 of 23
Your curve in your room with your speakers and your ears might sound completely different to me in my room with my speakers and my ears. There is no curve that works for everyone, and recommending your curve to others makes no sense.

Feb 24, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #18 of 23
Your curve in your room with your speakers and your ears might sound completely different to me in my room with my speakers and my ears.
while this is somewhat true i kinda disagree with speakers, the in room response is fairly flat over 1k (under 1k you have like desk reflections and room modes)

There is no curve that works for everyone, and recommending your curve to others makes no sense.
of course preference probably plays the biggest role and im not recommending my "specific" curve, just that a linear slope from 20hz (or 1k) to 20khz at around -4 to -9db at 20khz (your preference might vary) will sound way more realistic/natural

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #19 of 23
I have a large room- 18x22- and large speakers in a multichannel setup. I guarantee you that my curve looks quite different than yours.

Feb 24, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #20 of 23
the in room response is fairly flat over 1k
Is this room an anechoic chamber? Even if it were flat over 1k your hearing isn’t and that’s before we even start talking about your personal preferences.

G

Feb 24, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #21 of 23
I think it depends on his definition of the word “fairly”. That’s a relative term, and I’d imagine it’s probably more balanced than where he started.

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #22 of 23
well i made a interesting discovery.. i treated my ceiling (first reflection point) and it sounded quite "dull" in comparision after this with my house curve, i then reduced my house curve and it became a somewhat similar "eq/sound signature" again, i was able to reduce it from around -7db at 20khz to -4db

nice sideeffect of the treatment with adjusted eq, it sounds like the same high frequency content amount now but cleaner and more pleasent to listen to

so maybe house curves also help with compensating how reflecting a room is (tho i may be also just a bit sensitive to high frequencys)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #23 of 23
Equalization can take the curse off of some room problems, but in general, it works better when the heavy lifting is handled with room acoustics and EQ is just used to fine tune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back