'hottest' album you own?
May 4, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #61 of 68
What's the highest ReplayGain value possible? -20dB?
confused.gif

May 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #64 of 68
Loudness and dynamic compression absolutely kills music for me. I have heard parts of many of the albums mentioned in this thread and the only one I own is Mars Volta Deloused. Even that I don't play very often. The best song is ruined with poor mastering whereas a song which may not be my taste but is played and recorded with skill will pique my interest. Just my opinion.

This discussion is really encouraging to me that there are many people who still take audio quality seriously.

May 11, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #66 of 68
The last At The Drive-In album. Whatever it was called. It's loud as hell and pretty much pegged to max for the whole thing. I like the music but I'm not a fan of that recording technique.

-Mason

May 11, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #67 of 68
Californication is exceptionally bad... also Kaiser Chiefs' "Yours Truly Angry Mob", an album which I have to turn down every time I listen to. The opening chords of "Ruby" almost killed my ears once as it came on the old Shuffle right after I finished listening to Rachmaninov.

On the flip side... an exceptionally good-sounding recording is the Breeders' new album, Mountain Battles... Quiet and clean and lovely. The whole thing was recorded in what they call "All Wave" which basically means 100 percent analog everything. I have the vinyl and the CD of it (amusingly received the vinyl as a gift right after getting the CD)... it's very impressive in both formats.

May 11, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #68 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangemusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the flip side... an exceptionally good-sounding recording is the Breeders' new album, Mountain Battles... Quiet and clean and lovely.

Yea, good call, Steve Albini is still at the helm of some very good sounding CDs. The Breeders 'Pod' from way back then was a great one too. There's a new Albini recorded Wedding Present coming out soon too. The recent stuff with Jason Molina and Electrelane and Nina Nastasia and some of the others are outstanding as well, but probably none as well known as the Breeders (well, there is his own Shellac, and I hear he's recording something now with Scott Weiland too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back