'hottest' album you own?
Apr 30, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #46 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously? I own that album and it's not loud at all. I'll have to check again.

I love both of their albums, but it's a shame that their soundtrack for the movie is a bit too hot. Break In-City (Storm The Gate!) is probably the worst example. Compression seems to be part of modern rock CDs, but The Pick of Destiny is at least 3dB too loud in my opinion.
A small amount of dynamic compression can make CDs sound better on mediocre audio systems and in noisy environments like cars and trains, but I find it horrible that ReplayGain gives some albums an average of -10dB or even more!

Last night I intentionally listened to some older CDs (1980-1995) that I have and found them to be very enjoyable compared to some 'remasters' of albums from the same era. The digital transfer and overall SQ might be better on the remasters, but there isn't enough headroom for my taste.
One of these discs was Toto IV and its Album gain value was +2.72dB. I don't have a modern remaster to compare with my CD, so I can't say if later releases of this album sound better or not, but the one I have sounds very good once you turn it up.
The problem is that if I tried to listen to my Toto IV out of my iPod or in my car I would have to turn the volume close to max to even hear something. If I had a very low powered stereo amplifier and inefficient speakers my amp would start clipping while trying to play a disc like this (not a real problem for me because sensitivity of my speakers is 90dB spl (2.83V, 1m) and my amplifier can give 250 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms). So in some respect we are balancing between digital clipping and our amps clipping. The two solutions are to either use dynamic compression (bad) or to get more efficient speakers/headphones or a more powerful amp.

In my opinion the loudness war should finally be ended. One solution could be to apply dynamic compression only to digital downloads from places like iTunes. These files are likely used only with iPods and PC speakers. The record labels could finally leave their CDs cood and the loudness war would finally be over. Or at least it would have mode to the digital realm. Those who hate 'hot' mastering but like digital downloads would have to unfortunately buy the CD and rip it on their HDD.

These are some of my thoughts. I hope someone finds something worth reading in there.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #48 of 68
Oh. Easy. Modest Mouse's latest, "We were dead before the ship ever sank." Nearly unlistenable to me except for a track at time. You'd need the warmest tube setup ever to tame those highs and get any bottom end. The most tragically hot mastered album is Radiohead's "The Bends." before they got really sophisticated with production on OKC.

May 4, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #50 of 68
Madonna's new album Hard Candy is ear hurting and completely distorted.

Have a look at this analysis made with ClippingAnalyzer

High RMS and many clippings...

Heavy compression and limiting...

It's a pity, the music wouldn't be too bad otherwise.

May 4, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #51 of 68
Quote:

The most tragically hot mastered album is Radiohead's "The Bends." before they got really sophisticated with production on OKC.

My copy has a replaygain of -4.91 with peak of ~0.8, so once normalised thats a replaygain of -6.84, not great but hardly 'tragically hot' imo.

May 4, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #52 of 68
Hot Fuss - The Killers
Deloused in the Comatorium - The Mars Volta

May 4, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #53 of 68
System of a Down - Mezmerize, which gets -11.68dB with ReplayGain in foobar2k.

Jonas

May 4, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #54 of 68
s&m-metallica
it's consistently loud on my home setup, the missus always complains about it.

May 4, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #55 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Elite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that if I tried to listen to my Toto IV out of my iPod or in my car I would have to turn the volume close to max to even hear something. If I had a very low powered stereo amplifier and inefficient speakers my amp would start clipping while trying to play a disc like this

I don't think turning up the volume would make your amp clip if the CD is mastered at a lower average level. You still have the same maximum level from the CD in both cases. Sure, it would be more likely to clip on the peaks once you get the average volume level up since you have much more dynamic range, and hence actually have some peaks that go above the average level, but a lot of the hot masterings have what is left of the peaks (after multi-stage compression and heavy peak limiting) clipped already before you even play it
smily_headphones1.gif

It is true that when I play a nicely mastered CD my tendency is to turn the volume way up since it sounds so good and open and effortless, while the hot ones sound much worse when I turn them up, becoming just a congested wall of music, so you may have a point there.

May 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #56 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by SnooP_WiggleS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My copy has a replaygain of -4.91 with peak of ~0.8, so once normalised thats a replaygain of -6.84, not great but hardly 'tragically hot' imo.

Yea, I think he's using the term a little differently than what the thread was meant to be about, ie heavily compressed and peak limited CDs with a very high average sound level.

May 4, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo-Vo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
System of a Down - Mezmerize, which gets -11.68dB with ReplayGain in foobar2k.

Jonas

Yikes - it seems like S.O.A.D really likes their music loud!
eek.gif

At the end of they day, though, they still rock solid
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #59 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_TNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The proof is in the pudding guys.
biggrin.gif

Sometimes I fantasize about putting this album on at an unsuspecting hi-fi shop. I bet it would do wonders on some Naim gear.

And yes "Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell" is absolutely vicious. I've yet to listen to the original Lp but I've heard it's quite different.

"Raw Power" is so bad that when I'm listening to my iPod on shuffle at a reasonable volume, when a song from the (Replaygained) album comes up, there is no actual sound output through my IEMs unless I turn the volume up a few notches, at which point it just assaults my ears. Definitely something I have to be in the mood for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back