'hottest' album you own?
Apr 26, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #32 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_TNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Raw Power" by The Stooges. Try it on with some 325s and raw power is sure to come running to you. Yeah!
cool.gif

Haha. Not just "Raw Power" on the whole, but for me, specifically, the track "Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell" (a.k.a. "Hard to Beat"). I'm not sure if it's only the case on the reissue I have, but for some reason it seems like they gave that track an extra boost in mastering for whatever reason.

Apr 26, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #33 of 68
I tend to not listen to music that has a lot of dynamic compression, so my collection doesn't have too many examples. Still, I had a very unpleasant surprise buying Alchemist - Tripsis. God damn, good album, but completely unlistenable production. I can't even make it past 3-4 tracks before getting a serious headache.

Chalk up my favorite metal band as another victim of the loudness war.

Apr 26, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #34 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by WikiPedia
Audio volume leveling, prominently Replay Gain, is perhaps the most widely used solution. It should be noted, however, that this can only reduce the volume of loud music so that it is not proportionately louder than the listener's other music. It cannot restore dynamics or undo clipping.

Awwww
frown.gif

We as consumers totally need a Wand of Anti-Clipping and Potion of Instant Dynamics. That would be sweet.

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dragonforce... so so awfull in so many ways

Which album(s)?

Inhuman rampage is hit or miss. Some look like brick wall and some seem very reasonable.

Strangely though, they are comfortable to listen to. Try listening to Vapor Trails and you'll realize how great Dragonforce is.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #37 of 68
White Stripes - White Blood Cells

Far and away louder than anything else I own. Its ridiculous

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #38 of 68
Here are some examples of 'hot' CDs that I own along with their Album gain values given by ReplayGain Scan in foobar2000:

Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power [remaster] (-16.77dB)
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication (-12.82dB)
Slayer - Christ Illusion (-12.40dB)
System of a Down - Hypnotize (-11.92dB)
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf (-10.98dB)
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade (-10.97dB)
R.E.M. - Accelerate (-10.88dB)
Prince - 3121 (-10.83dB)
50 Cent - Get Rich Or Die Tryin' (-10.79dB)
The Darkness - Permission to Land (-10.72dB)
Marilyn Manson - The Golden Age of Grotesque (-10.30dB)
Jerry Lee Lewis - Last Man Standing (-10.28dB)
Audioslave - Revelations (-10.27dB)
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (-10.27dB)
Tenacious D - The Pick of Destiny (-10.24dB)
Megadeth - United Abominations (-10.12dB)
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations (-10.07dB)

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #41 of 68
As a general rule most post-metal seems to be recorded without much compression. I have to have my iPod's volume on ~65% or higher with many of my albums to get an acceptable listening volume. Other things I've listened to on the iPod require far less volume.

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #42 of 68
Hottest album still in my collection is Californication.

Previous hottest album which I managed to sell used for a decent price: Sleater-Kinney's "The Woods". Registered an astonishing -13dB replay gain setting as an *average* for the album. (That's to get back to its reference level, which of course can't be an exact science save for the fact that audiophile remasters like MoFi and DCC seem to come pretty close to a 0 dB replaygain setting). Tool's 10,000 days as mentioned before hits a 7, which is very much in an acceptable range for modern music. That's back to 1995 levels, before Californication and the rest got into a heat war.

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You beat me to the punch. I remember having it on some years ago and being astonished when I looked over at the LED equalizer. It looked like my old receiver was screaming for mercy. I'd never seen every single level maxed out before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ Scudworth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha. Not just "Raw Power" on the whole, but for me, specifically, the track "Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell" (a.k.a. "Hard to Beat"). I'm not sure if it's only the case on the reissue I have, but for some reason it seems like they gave that track an extra boost in mastering for whatever reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Elite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are some examples of 'hot' CDs that I own along with their Album gain values given by ReplayGain Scan in foobar2000:

Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power [remaster] (-16.77dB)

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication (-12.82dB)
Slayer - Christ Illusion (-12.40dB)
System of a Down - Hypnotize (-11.92dB)
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf (-10.98dB)
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade (-10.97dB)
R.E.M. - Accelerate (-10.88dB)
Prince - 3121 (-10.83dB)
50 Cent - Get Rich Or Die Tryin' (-10.79dB)
The Darkness - Permission to Land (-10.72dB)
Marilyn Manson - The Golden Age of Grotesque (-10.30dB)
Jerry Lee Lewis - Last Man Standing (-10.28dB)
Audioslave - Revelations (-10.27dB)
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (-10.27dB)
Megadeth - United Abominations (-10.12dB)
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations (-10.07dB)

The proof is in the pudding guys.
biggrin.gif

Sometimes I fantasize about putting this album on at an unsuspecting hi-fi shop. I bet it would do wonders on some Naim gear.

And yes "Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell" is absolutely vicious. I've yet to listen to the original Lp but I've heard it's quite different.

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Elite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seriously? I own that album and it's not loud at all. I'll have to check again.

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #45 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by silencewithin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mastering on Californication is horrid, just horrid. The sound quality sucks but the album redeems itself in the song quality for me.

Eh. I've always felt that all of their songs sound EXACTLY THE SAME. No song-writing abilities at all, really. What's the point of making 5 or 10 albums that are all the same music?

EDIT: I apologize if this post is/was overly negative. The above being said, I *do* like some of their songs, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine when bands do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back