'hottest' album you own?
Apr 25, 2008 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

Headphoneus Supremus
For me, it's 10,000 Days by Tool. I have to turn my volume waaaay down (from about 12' to about 8') to listen to that album painlessly on headphones.

Here's a good description of 'hot' by a fellow Head-Fier: Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hot refers to the mastering or rather the practice of boosting the average level of a recording by means of dynamic compression during the mastering process. the result of this is a loud sounding CD (as opposed to one that you can turn the volume up to your desired loudness)

Here is some reading for those interested: [size=xx-small](thanks to SiriuslyCold and BetaLyr)[/size]
MediaMonkey Online Help - Volume Leveling
Loudness war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Turn Me Up! | Bringing Dynamics Back To Music

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 68
Mine are all pretty consistent as far as volume.. A few weeks ago I would have replied with Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy because I nearly blew my eardrums every time a song from it came on. Turns out the volume was just doubled through iTunes
redface.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 68
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds' Let Love In album, at least inasmuch as brightness/"hot" treble is concerned. It's absolute torture with Grados.

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 68
I doubt anyone has ever heard of them (especially because they recently disbanded), but Better Than Knowing Where You Are by Spitalfield is pretty loud.
QotSA's self-titled album is a close second.

Wow, I just noticed that Muse's albums are pretty quiet.. Well, at least Black Holes & Revelations, Absolution, and Origin of Symmetry.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 68
I have 2 tiers: My Deutsche Gramaphone Classical discs and "everything else". I have to turn my receiver 15-20dB higher on those discs (especially the Mahler symphonies) than I do for everything else. None of my discs have ever stuck out as considerably louder than the rest.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Californication," obviously. For some reason, the Editors first album and Justice vs. Simian's "We Are Your Friends" are also mastered absurdly loud.

I really don't understand the thinking behind recording something hot. It can cause clipping, makes it harder to find a comfortable listening volume... just unhelpful and frustrating. Leave it to pop culture to demand everything in excess
rolleyes.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_TNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Raw Power" by The Stooges. Try it on with some 325s and raw power is sure to come running to you. Yeah!
cool.gif

You beat me to the punch. I remember having it on some years ago and being astonished when I looked over at the LED equalizer. It looked like my old receiver was screaming for mercy. I'd never seen every single level maxed out before.

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 68
Green Day - American Idiot....pretty hot
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back