Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
May 8, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #661 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by phalanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't recommend putting your soundcard inside of a closed plastic bag... the generated warmth cant escape. I'd rather put a double folded bag on the backside (for 4 layers total) and optional another on the other side of the card, but i dont think bagging it up is a good idea.

Yeah, I agree with that.

But I have a Thermaltake Xaser III, it has superb ventilation.
Other people with normal/low airflow case might consider your option though.

Thanks for the touch
wink.gif

May 9, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #662 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that is the opamp. I don't know which is the power filter cap. You'll have to trace the board to find it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ummm
confused.gif
how?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't doubt the differences caused by the change of opamp and the ERS paper,but the difference by adding the huge valued capacitor (part of the digital and analog stage).2200 uF cap, ?? IF you read the voltage regulator datasheets as I have,you will find no use for anything more than 480uF or so.. Quote:

You're right, it's not the size of the capacitor that matters. But the debate is whether or not using high quality caps as power filter effects the sound. I thought it did, but the only way to prove it is to do a blind A/B test. There are, however, instances of hundreds of people who change out their power capacitors for better ones and noted an improvement in the sound (ie. better clarity). It's hard to argue that hundreds (if not thousands) of people are all under the influence of placebo. Is it really so hard to beleive? The power supply is in the audio signal path and are not even close to acting like ideal capacitors. The specs of various capacitors are very different and these differences are directly measureable.
Quote:

if this is the case, why not save a little dough and use the 1000 or 470uf BG? Or spend a few more bucks(than the 2200uf standard BG) and use the 470 or 1000uf FK series BG?

anyone, anyone? Bueller?

May 9, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #663 of 2,194
Quote:

the E-MU negates the analog stage, but the headphone amp comes after it. so yes, use an amp if your headphone or speaker requires it. don't use a CMoy though. the internal amp in the X-Fi is stronger/better than the CMoy so the CMoy would only degrade sound quality. The minimum quality amp that should be used is the Gilmore Lite in my opinion.

OK, cotdt so I'm making the changes you suggested, as you can see from my sig (though I haven't gotten the x-fi yet, that should be here Friday). But since I am removing the CMoy, and there's no way I can swing the amp you suggested, how do I turn off sound to the headphone when I want to use my speakers? I had planned on simply turning on the CMoy when I wanted to use the 'phones and turning on the speakers when I wanted to hear them. I still have my old Plantronics headphone switch, but I'm sure thats going to create an issue if I try and use it. (Now please don't suggest some $300 item here, I'm currently over budget for audio as it is!
rolleyes.gif
<--for now!)

May 9, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #665 of 2,194
I dont have an amp. I plug directly into the soundcard with my DT770/80's. I was thinking about getting an amp. Also can anyone comment on what I said about desoldering the capacitor. I dont have my capacitor soldered 100% correctly, I could only get 1 leg through, the other hole is blocked by the old legs, so I rested the new leg on top and soldered on the topside of the card. If there isnt a proper connection, what risks am I running? Would the card even work, or would it just not work to its full capacity? Im just unsure of whether I can settle for a crappy solder job and possibly a not so good connection or if I should bring it in to work where we have hotter soldering irons and try to get that leg out (although its stuck in there pretty good).

May 9, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #667 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can use a mini 'Y' adapter and just plug both speakers and headphones in

Thats what I am doing currently, but my issue with that is that the headphones will be outputting sound, when I have the speakers on. I would prefer a way to disable the speakers, aside from unplugging them.

May 9, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #668 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFNDeal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats what I am doing currently, but my issue with that is that the headphones will be outputting sound, when I have the speakers on. I would prefer a way to disable the speakers, aside from unplugging them.

if you plan to use your Cmoy, just turn the cmoy off and then no sound through your headphones while your speakers are on. likewise turn your speakers off and the cmoy on and there will not be sound from your speakers while u listen w/ your headphones.

May 9, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #669 of 2,194
Quote:

strange, how are you testing it? you have to look at the actual graphs by the way, those summary numbers are not correct. i don't expect much of a difference between stock X-Fi and modded X-Fi. should be about the same. RMAA can't measure the important parameters like transient intermodulation distortion. It only measures useless things, like THD and stereo crosstalk, which has absolutely no effect on the sound below a certain percentage (5% for THD). that's why i didn't publish the RMAA results. they are completely useless. the important parameters require some expensive equipment and a lot of knowledge to measure.

I use an Audio Precision 2722 analyzer quite frequently, so measuring THD+N, IMD, and TIM are quite easy as long as I set things up right. Suggestions for applicable measurements are welcome as I would like to see what the differences are before and after changing the opamp (I'm gonna do one mod at a time).

May 9, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #670 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by YCH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use an Audio Precision 2722 analyzer quite frequently, so measuring THD+N, IMD, and TIM are quite easy as long as I set things up right. Suggestions for applicable measurements are welcome as I would like to see what the differences are before and after changing the opamp (I'm gonna do one mod at a time).

Yes, please tell us the before and after results for TIM.

May 9, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #671 of 2,194
the reason of why many of you are getting distortion and harsh sound with the static paper,is that your are not aplying the static paper correctly.
please dont put the static paper directly on the card,put a thin layer of foam and then the inner side of static paper on foam and ground it.(when you put the static paper without foam and grounding,the emi and rfi go back to the card making distortion).

May 10, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #672 of 2,194
well this is an extremely interesting mod... I've already done various hard-mods to graphics cards, cpus and motherboards... never a sound card...

the audio quality of my Audigy2 ZS is starting to show its shortcomings as I upgrade various other audio components...

I'm going to get an X-Fi XtremeMusic *anyway* for my main rig... but if I'm going to be buying ERS cloth and various ICs, I may as well mod both cards (current and new)...

I guess you identified the marked op-amp as the main stereo out?

Quote:

Quote:

hey cotdt I have an Audigy 2ZS, is this the op-amp?
audigyjm9.jpg
(thanks, angryguy, yeah I did steal your pic
biggrin.gif
)

Yes, that is the opamp. I don't know which is the power filter cap. You'll have to trace the board to find it.

so I just trace the 3.5mm sockets to ID the surround op-amps yes? and then just replace all of them I'm guessing

p.s. if these questions are answered in this thread, please ignore me lol... I'm going to read the whole thing as I expect some people have asked the same questions

May 10, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #673 of 2,194
no.. that noise was like really loud(to the point where I couldn't listen to music). After messing around, i went back to a near silent noise floor...

Building a new comp in a couple of days... hopefully never hear it again

May 10, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #674 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardnrg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well this is an extremely interesting mod... I've already done various hard-mods to graphics cards, cpus and motherboards... never a sound card...

the audio quality of my Audigy2 ZS is starting to show its shortcomings as I upgrade various other audio components...

I'm going to get an X-Fi XtremeMusic *anyway* for my main rig... but if I'm going to be buying ERS cloth and various ICs, I may as well mod both cards (current and new)...

I guess you identified the marked op-amp as the main stereo out?

so I just trace the 3.5mm sockets to ID the surround op-amps yes? and then just replace all of them I'm guessing

p.s. if these questions are answered in this thread, please ignore me lol... I'm going to read the whole thing as I expect some people have asked the same questions

would you happen to know how to trace the board to find the power filter cap? Sorry, I have no idea bout the surround op-amps, the layout isnt as logical as the x-fi

EDIT: yes, the one with the red box is the main op-amp

May 10, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #675 of 2,194
Put in the LM4562 OpAmp and shorted the assumed coupling caps.
There is definitely a difference from the OPAMP change. The majority of the change comes from the OPAmp, i have not installed my black gate yet but I don't think it will make as much a difference as the OPamp.
There was a very minimal improvement from shorting the caps, very slight improvement in the upper midbass and midrange areas. Not everyone will notice it.

The Shield I though made no difference, again I'm just using an anti static bag for now. I think the shield is one of those mods that will work for some and not others. If your other parts are emitting noise, the shield mayhelp, for me.... it did not make a difference.

My blackgate should be here in the next couple of days, we'll see how that works out.

Been in SQ Car Audio for quiet some time, I'd say my ears are decently trained and I can say with confidence that the OPamp is a positive Mod, But I'm not too sure on the others yet.

Cousin has an unmoded Xtrememusic, and I also have an xtremegamer so gonna try to do some comparison.

But so far, I'm liking how Clair Marlo, Michael Ruff and Pat Coil are sounding...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back