Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
May 7, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #646 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by phalanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah 6.3V should be fine as 5v is all it should ever get. My 6,3v cap hasnt blown up yet
tongue.gif
Use your own discretion.. 16V would be the safe choice.

As for the static bags, yes they make a difference (the thick semi-transparant silvery kind). I'm not sure putting a 'static bag *over* the card' is such a great idea if that is what it sounds like. It will get too warm and cause some distortion (tried this). Probably only covering the backside of the card is plenty, maybe could do the DSP/DAC also but i dunno if its needed. But dont smother the card.

Thanks for this tip. I'll cut the bag in half and install it only on the backside of the card. I have the card in the lowest PCI-slot and beneath it there is only a metal frame from the case. Maybe I'll put the other half of the bag to the bottom of the case.

Edit: Anti-static bag now installed.

May 7, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #647 of 2,194
Notice any change? You could also just stick the 2 layers together so its thicker and probably more effective.

May 8, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #648 of 2,194
so i've been having a problem with my elite pro lately.

After modding it, things were great. Then I went in and installed a new hard drive. REsult? When I turned on my computer, I was getting alot of nasty system noise out of the left channel only. I unplugged the card from the PCI slot, and plugged it back in, and it worked fine after that.

But now, I just moved from my dorm to an Apartment for the summer, and I get the same problem. I do my normal fix, it works, but then I leave for the day(got my wisdom teeth out today :-X), come back, and its making that darn noise again. I finally have gotten it to go away(unplugged it a couple more times, finally cleaned the back of the board with 91% alcohol) Hopefully it wont come back, but if so, any ideas? I'm hoping this isn't a long-term side effect of the X-fi modding (i was one of the first to do so)

May 8, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #650 of 2,194
Man what a difference!!!
Just modded mine (opamps only) and I'm listening now X-Fi Platinum via 5 1/4 bay (modded that opamp also) + HD 650 directly and the bass is punchier and de highs are more defined!

Also, using static bag as shield. In those bags specification, it has a 40% EMI blocking. As I'm using them around the X-Fi, there are 2 layers, = 80% EMI blocking
wink.gif

Great job!
Will try the capacitor now...

(You made me write my first post just to congratulate you cotdt
biggrin.gif
)

May 8, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #653 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoenberg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question about them static bags:
so i would cover the card with static bag, but place a foam sheet on TOP of the card inside the static bag?

I use no foam or anything else. Imagine a taco. You don't open the static bag, just put the X-Fi in the middle like a taco, with the static bag around.

Also, I want to say something else:

Before doing the opamp mod, the X-Fi + HD 650 sound so awful that I liked more the sound of my workplace combo, a Onboard audio SoundMax + HD 280.

After the mod, X-Fi + HD 650 is waaaaay better!

May 8, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #654 of 2,194
I can't really check the thread search function for this but what other opamps are people using and has anyone compared other opamps to the LM4562? Surely someone is using something other than the LM4562. I checked the spec sheet and it doesn't look very different from any other dual opamp.

May 8, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #655 of 2,194
so would i just cover the backside of the card? or should i also shield the front? (which is facing down to the case)

And which side of the paper should i set it to put it over the x fi? i assume the inner part of the paper to face down?

And finally, how close should the paper be to the card? Do they need to be stuck together or can the paper just be kind of floating around between the x fi and the GPU?

sorry for all these questions. Yes, I am paranoid ;?

May 8, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #656 of 2,194
I did this mod last night, put the op-amp on VERY easily, but when I desoldered the capacitor, I just cut the legs off near the board and desoldered each leg. Thing is, one of the holes still has a piece of the leg that I cant get out and I cant solder the capacitor in correctly until I get it out. My soldering iron is only 30w, I think maybe I need a hotter one (45w or 60w?) to desolder it properly. It pisses me off. For now I just stuck the one leg through the hole and the other is resting on top, and I soldered it to the top of the board and the other leg is soldered properly at the other side. But yeah my soldering iron is a big piece of crap, doesnt even tin properly...

Im wondering if since my capacitor isnt soldered 100% correctly if I should even be using my sound card. I watched some shows last night and it sounded pretty good, but playing games and listening to movies I dont hear much of a difference. You guys sure this mod is supposed to make a huge difference, because I dont really notice it (I think you guys are blowing this mod out of proportion).

May 8, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #657 of 2,194
what headphone and amp are you using, Pm@c? it's true that with some headphones, there is no difference in sound. But with my K701 or Denons, to me the difference is quite big.

May 8, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #659 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by hdaboliv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use no foam or anything else. Imagine a taco. You don't open the static bag, just put the X-Fi in the middle like a taco, with the static bag around.

I don't recommend putting your soundcard inside of a closed plastic bag... the generated warmth cant escape. I'd rather put a double folded bag on the backside (for 4 layers total) and optional another on the other side of the card, but i dont think bagging it up is a good idea.

May 8, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #660 of 2,194
Has anybody done a A/B listening test before and after applying sheilding?
I figured toget the most out of ERS paper pr other sheilding your would need some space between the card and the material. Consider a plan card with no sheilding will give off alot of EMI, RFI...etc. If you put ERS paper on both sides of the card what happens to this interference? I personally think it would reflect back to the card. What do you guys think? Possibly leaving a couple inches would help...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back