Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
May 1, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #556 of 2,194
This might sound crazy, but is it possible to do this kind of mod to a SB Live?

I have one of the last versions of this card, which I bought about 1 year ago, and although the card is labeled as an "Audigy", it is actually just a SB LIVE with an improved s/n ratio.

May 1, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #557 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken B. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This might sound crazy, but is it possible to do this kind of mod to a SB Live?

This thread is about X-Fi's specifically to not make it too confusing.. In general: yes you probably can, find out what opamps it uses and find a matching better one, maybe change a few caps.. its applicable to just about any soundcard but for specifics on other cards maybe better start a new thread.
Also I wouldnt expect miracles.. SBLives are not very good soundcards, XFis have much higher potential to unleash.

May 1, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #558 of 2,194
Update: It appears I got rid of the distortion now at full volume. Not sure what did the trick. The power cap I currently have in is a 220uF nonpolar, so the capacitor doesnt have to be any larger then that. (not saying it might not be useful). coupling caps still the odd un-parallelled 10uF NP setup. I think maybe the powercap made a faulty connection since the connector is damaged afterall, and thats the only thing i messed with since it last had distortion.

Cheap sonic bliss in full effect here again
smily_headphones1.gif
(well cheap.. ended up investing in some DIY stuff along the way but thats gonna come in useful soon enough
smily_headphones1.gif
)

May 1, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #559 of 2,194
I wonder how 2xOPA 627 (with adapter) will sound? Heard it HiQ stuff, but price is also hi.

Measured today my front channel DC voltage (caps shorted and ad8620 as opamp) and it showed 180mV. Kind of high or what? Of cource amplifier should have cap against DC of its own and it wont damage headphones but it's kind of hi anyway and caps should be unshorted?

May 1, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #560 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how 2xOPA 627 (with adapter) will sound? Heard it HiQ stuff, but price is also hi.

Measured today my front channel DC voltage (caps shorted and ad8620 as opamp) and it showed 180mV. Kind of high or what? Of cource amplifier should have cap against DC of its own and it wont damage headphones but it's kind of hi anyway and caps should be unshorted?

something is obviously wrong if the DC is that high

May 1, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #562 of 2,194
Op-amp and coupling caps changed. Op-amp was a real b*tch to desolder and solder. Few times I soldered couple legs together. Caps were easy to change and they fit nicely.

I have a small feeling that my left channel plays louder than my right channel. Would that be the result that one of op-amp legs isn't soldered properly? Is there some program which I could measure the levels of each channel (dB meter would be handy but I don't own one)

May 1, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #564 of 2,194
May 1, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #565 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RMAA (5.5) should do the job.
http://audio.rightmark.org/download.shtml
SMD (de)soldering guide, good tips, if someone is interested. http://www.infidigm.net/articles/solder/#desoldering

Thanks for the link. Everything seems to be OK except stereo crosstalk seems to have differences:

R -> L L -> R
Crosstalk at 100 Hz -103.9 -108.8 dB
Crosstalk at 1 kHz -102.2 -101.5 dB
Crosstalk at 10 kHz -98.9 -98.5 dB

Edit: Second test showed some improvement: 106.6 / 105.1 & 102.2 / 102.6 & 98.3 / 98.2

May 1, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #566 of 2,194
Btw if anyone is using RMAA then they should check that from recording properties "line in" is selected. If "wave" is selected then theres a digital loopback and analog stage is not tested.
If u are unsure withc is selected then there is an easy wat to test it. Before pushing "start test" test button you must calibrate signal to approximately -1db. Now if you remove 3,5mm stereo cable from line in<->front out. and signal is still there then u are using digital loopback.

May 1, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #568 of 2,194
So...what is better ?

bridge caps ?
Or change them with bigger?
(and if..bigger =... ?)

Something more.I cant find in my country blackgate cap...
Its something special about that ?
what if I install something else ? :S

May 2, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #569 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Op-amp and coupling caps changed. Op-amp was a real b*tch to desolder and solder. Few times I soldered couple legs together. Caps were easy to change and they fit nicely.

I have a small feeling that my left channel plays louder than my right channel. Would that be the result that one of op-amp legs isn't soldered properly? Is there some program which I could measure the levels of each channel (dB meter would be handy but I don't own one)

I have the same problem! Except on mine the right channel plays louder than my left one.... Grrr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back