Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Apr 30, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #541 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by janderclander14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody know which is the correspondence between the surround op-amps and the output channels? I only have 3 lm4562 amps and I would like to replace those corresponding to the 5.1 output.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not looked closely, but they are probably directly in order with the way the jacks are.... shortest traces and all.

Can anyone confirm or disprove this? I haven't found any data to verify my thoughts here.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #542 of 2,194
Just got my extrememusic card off ebay. When I opened the box, I found most of the caps bent. Should I worry about this or if it works, then it should be ok? Thanks.

xtrememusic.jpg

Apr 30, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #543 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ran RMAA test after shorting the caps and it showd basically same results as before so it should be safe to say that there didnt come extra distortion.

Btw can u point out what caps are for left and what for right channel?
And theres still one thing bothering me, if those are coupling caps ment for blocking dv voltage from dac then how someone mesured 2,5V DC from them? (there was post like this somewhere here).

About the big cap... Low ESR cap was reccomended. should ESR value be as low as possible or is there some limits? Are there some other important values that i should turn intention to?

Yep,it measures + and - 2.5 V. A couple of members including I have measured.

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #545 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonePusher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my extrememusic card off ebay. When I opened the box, I found most of the caps bent. Should I worry about this or if it works, then it should be ok? Thanks.

If it works then it's 100% fine. Bent caps wont do anything, if it bothers you you can "unbend" them
tongue.gif

Btw, found one interresting cap that is for sale in local store: link (search for: 215-5657 ) What this audio grade exacly means and is it suitable for soundcard (as power filter cap)?

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #546 of 2,194
I don't know which 2 are for left and which for right, i suppose you could find out by just removing one cap and see what channel stops working
smily_headphones1.gif
but for most purposes its not important to know.. you want the same caps on left and right side anyway.
If you were to use 2 instead of 4 (i dont see any real advantage to doing this (it gets rid of 2 caps but since theyre parallel i dont think theres a real benefit, but im not an expert on it) I did it as a temporary measure to help find the cause of my problem I mentioned before) I just happened to have only 2 suitable caps around. Either way you dont want to parallel different size/type capacitors.

I didnt see the post about 2,5vDC being measure from the coupling caps.. on which side of the caps was this?

on ESR.. lower is better. in theory a perfect cap would have zero ESR. ESR is the degree of resistance that comes as a side effect of the capacitor (someone correct me if i misdefined that). it is electric 'loss', so less is better.

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #548 of 2,194
Hello.

I've done the opamp modification, but it did not resolve the problem I'm having with my x-fi, -it's distorting at high volume when delivering to an amplifier.

Can this be the powercap not delivering enough power ? It's fine at lower volumes, but when raised above 60% everything goes to hell, and there is noticable crackle particularly heard in bright parts of tracks.

Anyone else have this problem with their x-fi ?

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #549 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello.

I've done the opamp modification, but it did not resolve the problem I'm having with my x-fi, -it's distorting at high volume when delivering to an amplifier.

Can this be the powercap not delivering enough power ? It's fine at lower volumes, but when raised above 60% everything goes to hell, and there is noticable crackle particularly heard in bright parts of tracks.

If you've had the problem since before the mod, then it is most likely your amp. What amp are you using? Are you using headphones or speakers? More information would help.

BTW, you should use the X-Fi at 100% volume at all times. Volume attenuation should be done on the preamp/amp via a volume pot. Doing volume control on the computer decreases sound quality.

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #550 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello.

Yeah i have the same problem. somewhere around 60% volume distortion sets in and gets worse as the volume goes up. I don't think its the amp cause it still happens without an amp, but it could be a combination of things, i don't know.. Not having coupling caps didnt seem to help for me in that regard, did you short those or not?

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #552 of 2,194
I found the bugger !

This was the fault : crackling/distorted sound, particulary high-freq. sounds like vocals on "Feist - The Water".

This is when the error occured : when connected to an amplifier for speakers, regardless of what kind, -I have two and they are fault-free.

The sound was OK on the amp when master set to below 60%, and the sound was always OK when listening with headphones (DT660).

I've always used the headphones through the front socket on my chassis. The wire going from the x-fi to the front port of the chassis is the bugger. Bin it, now.

For thoose of you who did not get any improvements in the bass department, it's probably due to a poor solder. I soldered the chip with no solder (just used what was left on the card), and that wasn't enough, so I heard no bass improvements due to one of the connectors not beeing soldered good enough. Just pressing on the opamp resolved the problem, but I'll have to add more solder when I get hold of it.

Oh, and no I have not shorted the other caps, I've only changed the opamp. I didn't understand what shorting thoose caps was good for, but I think it was somthing about delivering enough power to the opamp or making the current out of the opamp stable ? I need stable output, as I have a sensitive and to me, expensive amplifier, for my speakers.

This is true, cheap bliss !

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #553 of 2,194
Hello to everyone!

Just found this mod and Im ready to make it cause i dont use my x-fi any more lol..(4gb ram and x64 win = @#$@$ drivers for x-fi..)

To the point.

I can only find LM4562MA-ND Is that right ?

And something else...
They are too expensive i thing...:S

5.78 $...
Is there any shop in europe so i can have cheaper shipping..

Thx for readin
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #554 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmos.gr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello to everyone!

To the point.

I can only find LM4562MA-ND Is that right ?

And something else...
They are too expensive i thing...:S

5.78 $...
Is there any shop in europe so i can have cheaper shipping..

Thx for readin
wink.gif

yeah thats the one;

Digi-Key Part NumberLM4562MA-ND
ManufacturerNational Semiconductor
Manufacturer Part NumberLM4562MA/NOPB
DescriptionIC OPAMP AUDIO DUAL HF 8-SOIC

5.78$ is not a lot of money to spend on a very significant upgrade to your XFi. Youre likely to find a good use for it again after modding it
smily_headphones1.gif

About the distortion on high-volume, I dont use any breakout or anything - but i no longer directly connect my issues with this mod in general, it is still working but with issues, maybe i damaged something during the experimental approach I chose, I dont know, I do know one of the pin connectors of my power cap has been increasingly messed up from having not done a great job at removing the original one. This may or may not be a problem, not sure. I may end up taking it to Groef to have them take a look at it :| Ill post if anything worth mentioning comes up, other then that I still endorse this mod, and think the risk is no more then the risk that should be assumed for any mod: youre pretty sure to void your warranty
wink.gif

I might give Gore ]|['s suggestion for the AD opamp a try aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back