Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Mar 11, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #31 of 2,194
Thanks Tiramisu. The X-Meridian does make it easier to swap opamps, especially without a solder iron, although to me replacing SOIC opamps are still pretty quick and easy. But in my mods I've discovered that changing the opamps is only a fraction of the total improvements. Removing the output capacitors and the Blackgate mod makes just as big a difference, as did the ERS paper which made it noticeably warmer. You should try these things on your card! I've never had an opamp go bad, especially not with the voltages used on sound cards. If the sound degrades noticeably, then it's probably faulty, but i've never come across it.

emericanchaos, my own sound card is the M-Audio Audiophile 192, and it looks to be the same set of mods. the only difference is the placement. The AKM DAC it uses is a very good one.

Mar 11, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #33 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
emericanchaos, my own sound card is the M-Audio Audiophile 192, and it looks to be the same set of mods. the only difference is the placement. The AKM DAC it uses is a very good one.

can anyone point out the power caps on one?

Mar 11, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #34 of 2,194
you should start a new thread for info on modding other cards... lets try to keep this tread on topic and easy to follow.
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #36 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by janderclander14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any alternatives for the ERS paper? I am not able to find it in my country
frown.gif

that thing made by texas intruments. there's a bunch of others. what country exactly?

Mar 12, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #37 of 2,194
Quote:

that thing made by texas intruments. there's a bunch of others. what country exactly?

I am from Spain. Are you referring to "TI-Shield"? I have searched in the TI official site but haven't found any references...

Mar 12, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #38 of 2,194
Quote:

I am from Spain. Are you referring to "TI-Shield"? I have searched in the TI official site but haven't found any references...

i'm sure either partsconnexion or percy audio can ship to spain. if not, PM me and i can sell you some of mine.

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #39 of 2,194
Quote:

i'm sure either partsconnexion or percy audio can ship to spain. if not, PM me and i can sell you some of mine.

Thanks, you are very kind. I have located a local distributor of Stillpoints (ERS manufacturer) and asked for supplies.

I am going to buy the 2200 blackgate capacitor. As I do not mind of getting several caps, do you recommend to swap other x-fi capacitors for blackgates (assumming that I bypass the fullset of 5.1 -three opamps- output capacitors)?

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #40 of 2,194
Quote:

Thanks, you are very kind. I have located a local distributor of Stillpoints (ERS manufacturer) and asked for supplies.

I am going to buy the 2200 blackgate capacitor. As I do not mind of getting several caps, do you recommend to swap other x-fi capacitors for blackgates (assumming that I bypass the fullset of 5.1 -three opamps- output capacitors)?

I'm glad you are able to find the supplies for this mod. If you want, you can replace all the remaining capacitors with Panasonics. But it won't be for sound quality, but for durability, since Jamicons are not reliable.

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #41 of 2,194
tag for when I get a X-Fi

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #42 of 2,194
Umm does this affect the performance of EAX or gaming audio quality? Like will it still give good accurate 3d positioning, or does this affect that in order to increase music sound quality?

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #43 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm does this affect the performance of EAX or gaming audio quality? Like will it still give good accurate 3d positioning, or does this affect that in order to increase music sound quality?

these mods when done properly should not affect the sound processing at all

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #44 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're basically changing the analog output, which everything must pass through for you to hear it (as long as you're not using the digital output). So yes, all modes will be affected. You will get more accurate 3D positioning in theory because the opamps are more accurate and detailed than stock. Game music should also be more clear and dynamic. But mainly the gains are for music, since you don't really pay attention to sound quality while gaming. Obviously the DSP will stay the same so don't expect your frame rate to go up with this mod.

Mar 12, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #45 of 2,194
cotdt;2779213 said:
We will now shield the DAC chip, DSP chip, opamps, and the entire backside of the soundcard. There are many options, from Texas Instruments to ERS Paper. This is not snake oil. Shielding really makes a difference. I used ERS Paper, which is electrically conductive so you need an insulation layer between it and the sound card. QUOTE]

What did you use for an insulation layer between the ERS paper and the card? Also, you hot glued the Blackgate Cap to the board with a layer of ERS paper under the cap? Did you use an insulation layer there, and everyplace you used the ERS paper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back