Hotel Rwanda, Go see it!
Feb 14, 2005 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
Have you guys seen Hotel Rwanda yet?

Don Cheadle stars in the true-life story of Paul Rusesabagina, a hotel manager who housed over a thousand Tutsis refugees during their struggle against the Hutu militia in Rwanda.

An amazing movie, tense, suspenseful, heartbreaking.........
I was amazed at how much I didn't know about their situation.

Feb 14, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 18
Haven't seen it yet, only got a chance to see a clip of it when Don was a guest on The Tonight Show recently. It looks like a powerful movie and will be on my list of movies to watch.

Feb 14, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 18
I second the recommendation. I saw this movie not knowing a thing about it and left the theater almost in tears (and I have NEVER EVER cried over a movie in my life!!!). While walking out of the theater I really put things in perspective and realized that I have no REAL problems in life. Since seeing this film, stupid things that used to bother me on a day to day basis don't seem to aggravate me as much. I just keep reflecting on what these Rwandan people went through and I can't help but brush off my situation. Truly a powerful movie.

Feb 14, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 18
The events of that movie are a textbook example of why the second amendment is utterly vital.

Genocides don't happen
to a people that are packin'.

Feb 14, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
The events of that movie are a textbook example of why the second amendment is utterly vital.

Genocides don't happen

Even if I desagree 100000000000%.... no need to be Nostradamus to predict that this thread is going in the Outside dominion at the speed of light.....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

P.S. The actor's role of General Roméo Dallaire, as constructed in the screenplay, is doing a great injustice to him.
EDIT: http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeye/shakehands.html

Feb 15, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Genocides don't happen

Guess you didn't see the movie, there were lots of guns.

Feb 15, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 18
Todd R said:
Guess you didn't see the movie....QUOTE]

It is also my case but I know well the struggle of L-General Dallaire. I think it is worthy of some research beyond the part of Nick Nolte.

Amicalement

P.S. I didn't mean as in you accepting the Nick Nolte part as a true replica of what Dallaire, the man, was experiencing.
EDIT: On that specific aspect alone, the psychological impact of being powerless against one of the worst crime of human history, this thread can avoid politics.

Feb 15, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 18
My wife and I had a chance to see a special screening with the screenwriter and guy the movie is based on doing a Q&A after the movie, but we couldn't find a babysitter that night. Doh!

Feb 15, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Guess you didn't see the movie, there were lots of guns.

Guess I did. The people committing the genocides had guns and machetes, the people being genocided didn't.

Feb 15, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #12 of 18
I am watching the movie next weekend and I can't wait. I've seen the CBC documentary on General Romeo Dellaire and i found the hardest thing to understand was why the UN didn't send more troops and deal with the genocide faster.

Feb 15, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Guess I did. The people committing the genocides had guns and machetes, the people being genocided didn't.

That doesn't mean they couldn't have had weapons as you are implying with regards to your comment about the 2nd amendment.

Both sides of the conflict had weapons (remember, the rebels eventually triumphed).
I could have a gun (or machete) if I wanted one, but I don't feel I need to own one. I feel that the people that were killed may have felt the same way. They were just regular folks, from both tribes, that were caught up in the middle of the conflict which was really the point of the movie.

Feb 15, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Todd R,

Can you please make your sig bigger and longer, thanks.

anyway, sounds like a good film.

No problem,
I'll be rotating my movie quotes every week or so.
I'll look for a longer one next time
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back