Hot TLE2426 in CMoy Power Section
Oct 9, 2008 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kirtar

Head-Fier
Top View (really just the components): Here
Diagram (from top view. Shows jumpers, etc): Here
Note: Red X goes to red X, Blue dot to Blue dot, etc. Didn't want to try to connect those dots on the picture.

Okay, so the right side is the V- side and the left side is the V+ side. I hooked up a power supply with red to V+ and black to V- and all works fine, with the VGround being spot on. Then I add the axial capacitors (Nichicon 100uf) as suggested by someone a couple weeks ago (Here) and try again. This time, the caps heat up really fast, so I unplug it. Dunno what caused it, but I have a hunch I hooked up the voltage wrong, since it never happened again.

After letting the thing cool for awhile, I hook it back up, making sure I hooked up the power supply up as explained before, and I have my fingers on the caps and the TLE to make sure they don't heat up really quick. Turns out the TLE heats up a lot after awhile, which may or may not have been a new problem; I didn't check it before since the VGround was correct and therefore assumed I had it hooked up right. Not sure how adding those caps would have screwed around with it though.

Checked for solder bridges, and I did find one, but it's between two already connected pads, so I don't think that's the issue. TLE is in the socket with the dot on the upper left corner.

Anyone have any ideas?

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 8
If I am reading your diagram correctly, it appears you have it hooked up right. Do you have the output (pin 1) connected to the virtual ground (center 2 rows)? Should work.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 8
I had the same problem when I just assembled my CMOy... you need to make sure that you have pins: IN = positive leg (+), COM = negative leg (-), and OUT = ground.

I had the IN and COM pins switched and the TLE got extremely hot and didn't divide the voltage... doh.

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 8
Kay, I hooked up the power supply to a 9v, and it turned out fine. Would a 30ish yr old power supply/inverter possibly cause the problem (Doesn't really flatten the voltage, just makes it dc)? Moved on to the amplification section, using the layout as on Tangentsoft for the section.

For the panel, I wired up the pot as described on Mounting Panel Components (Using ALPSRK097) and the stereo jack (Kobiconn 161-17300-ex) as shown here. Pictures from above of messy wiring here and here.

Hooked up the 9v again and plugged in a source (iPod Nano G1) and tested it and only heard a small pop, which I get when I plug/unplug it. The LED I used doesn't seem to work anymore (probably due to me forgetting the resistor).

EDIT: Well, it works now...Seems it doesn't like it the pot set on low volume. Going to have to replace the LED though :<.

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 8
I figure I post this here, I "think" I have a problem with my TLE2426 now in my CMoY. After discovering having a DC-offset @ the output of ~.5V ! I thought something was really wrong, since before it was ~1-5mV...

Anyway I went ahead a read some voltages, the input to the CMoY is 15.97V from a THREAD PS and then the voltages R+ (IN to OPAMP) 15.96V and R- (IN to OPAMP) 0V!

So I'm going to assume that the TLE2426 got damaged somehow, correct? And now, would that have damaged the OPAMP as well (OPA2132P)?

Thanks.

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figure I post this here, I "think" I have a problem with my TLE2426 now in my CMoY. After discovering having a DC-offset @ the output of ~.5V ! I thought something was really wrong, since before it was ~1-5mV...

Anyway I went ahead a read some voltages, the input to the CMoY is 15.97V from a THREAD PS and then the voltages R+ (IN to OPAMP) 15.96V and R- (IN to OPAMP) 0V!

So I'm going to assume that the TLE2426 got damaged somehow, correct? And now, would that have damaged the OPAMP as well (OPA2132P)?

Thanks.

bump

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 8
I assume you are measuring to what should be virtual ground? Pin 8 (V+) and pin 4 (V-)? If so, sounds like your TLE is toast. What made it go there, I couldn't guess.

As for your opamp, it should be fine (but that may depend upon why the TLE went). Opamps don't use ground, just V+ and V-, which are both relative. The opamp doesn't know whether that is +16V V+ and 0V V-, or +8/-8V, etc. As long as you don't exceed the max. ratings, it should be OK.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume you are measuring to what should be virtual ground? Pin 8 (V+) and pin 4 (V-)? If so, sounds like your TLE is toast. What made it go there, I couldn't guess.

As for your opamp, it should be fine (but that may depend upon why the TLE went). Opamps don't use ground, just V+ and V-, which are both relative. The opamp doesn't know whether that is +16V V+ and 0V V-, or +8/-8V, etc. As long as you don't exceed the max. ratings, it should be OK.

Thanks, the cause
very_evil_smiley.gif
running an iModded Mini with no output coupling caps after the DAC and using 250Ω headphones. I was testing and got overzealous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back